News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

October 2008 Observations

Started by Tristan, October 01, 2008, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tristan

Nah not really, if they're out of O2s or the route is interlined with a 30-foot route, it's not out of the ordinary.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Tristan on October 04, 2008, 09:03:26 AM
Nah not really, if they're out of O2s or the route is interlined with a 30-foot route, it's not out of the ordinary.

I can't think of any other 30' routes that run out of Friendship Heights during the week, so I might buy the first explanation since by then the 98 is in full force though the 98 has been running the 30' O5's (and some 40' too).

When might WMATA move the stop location for the E6? With the DE37BRT's set to replace the O2's and WMATA having that inane and asinine no hybrids/CNG's rule for the inside bus bays, it's going to have to move soon. Of course, merely changing policy would be a LOT easier.

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 04, 2008, 11:30:34 AM
Quote from: Tristan on October 04, 2008, 09:03:26 AM
Nah not really, if they're out of O2s or the route is interlined with a 30-foot route, it's not out of the ordinary.

I can't think of any other 30' routes that run out of Friendship Heights during the week, so I might buy the first explanation since by then the 98 is in full force though the 98 has been running the 30' O5's (and some 40' too).

When might WMATA move the stop location for the E6? With the DE37BRT's set to replace the O2's and WMATA having that inane and asinine no hybrids/CNG's rule for the inside bus bays, it's going to have to move soon. Of course, merely changing policy would be a LOT easier.

The D2 usually gets 30 footers.

The E6 and T2 used to be swapped, the T2 stopped on the inside and the E6 stopped with the other E buses.  I guess if they really needed to, they could move the RO 34 inside and put the E6 on the outside, or they could just change the policy.  They could also put the DE37BRTs on the D2 and M4 (which would make the most sense) and leave the 30 foot Orions for the E6.

79MetroExtraMD

Metrobus

5412 and 1912 on display at the Union Station Centennial. It was nice to see both old and new on display. 5412's ISL G engine is very quiet. I didn't notice it when the operator started it up. 1912 was beautiful, although it needs a little touchup in the paint booth, but all in all it was nice to see. I got a bunch of pics of both buses.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Scrabbleship

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on October 04, 2008, 06:29:47 PM
Metrobus

5412 and 1912 on display at the Union Station Centennial. It was nice to see both old and new on display. 5412's ISL G engine is very quiet. I didn't notice it when the operator started it up. 1912 was beautiful, although it needs a little touchup in the paint booth, but all in all it was nice to see. I got a bunch of pics of both buses.

I hope to god they're there tomorrow...

79MetroExtraMD

Piccies

5412











1912




LE. 9-5000 (LExington 9-5000)

Time to get new schedules


Extras

"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

OrionFlyer

Are the BRT's in service yet? If so , I'm definitely planning a bus trip to dc.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: NGOrion on October 04, 2008, 07:26:50 PM
Are the BRT's in service yet? If so , I'm definitely planning a bus trip to dc.

They are still in the testing phase. The operator I talked to said that they should probably be on the streets within a couple of months. H Street is still a mess. Also, this bus had lacked an Orbital radio.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

LandoverDivision

Nice pics. Dang I woud've been there, but had to much on my plate. I heard from a supervisore they were going to be in service this month but oh well.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Scrabbleship

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on October 04, 2008, 07:27:29 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on October 04, 2008, 07:26:50 PM
Are the BRT's in service yet? If so , I'm definitely planning a bus trip to dc.

They are still in the testing phase. The operator I talked to said that they should probably be on the streets within a couple of months. H Street is still a mess. Also, this bus had lacked an Orbital radio.

Why should the buses wait for H Street? Run them on the 80's or the D6 in the interim so they just don't gather dust.

79MetroExtraMD

#25
Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 04, 2008, 07:50:08 PM
Why should the buses wait for H Street? Run them on the 80's or the D6 in the interim so they just don't gather dust.

H Street is undergoing repaving from the streetcar project and Metro probably doesn't want the 5400s to go thru hell before they've had a chance to adapt to the streets. Also, the 80s and the D6 don't really need them plus there are a couple of turns on the D6 that are quite tight for a tic.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

btconet

I agree the D6 doesnt seem a good fit for Artics. 

Saw a couple of interesting Ride On sightings today that show the new scope of the Roster changes.  A cutaway on the T2, but a Orion V on the 29 and an Orion I on the 23!

WayneNYC

Agreed - Artics would have a rough time on the D6 in Georgetown.  Not sure they'd be good on the 80 either, especially turning around at Fort Totten.

WMATAGMOAGH

The D6 turnaround at Sibley Hospital is pretty tight too, but as I understand it, artics have a smaller turning radius than standard buses.  That said, I'm not sure that the 80 and D6 need artics the way the routes that do have them need them.

WayneNYC

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on October 05, 2008, 12:45:59 AM
The D6 turnaround at Sibley Hospital is pretty tight too, but as I understand it, artics have a smaller turning radius than standard buses.  That said, I'm not sure that the 80 and D6 need artics the way the routes that do have them need them.

Yes, you're right.  They can usually turn in a tighter cirle than a standard 40 footer because the front section is shorter than 40 feet and the rear axle is supposed to follow the same path as the second axle.  I don't know if this is always true.