News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

New NF headinding your way

Started by metroman177, July 18, 2010, 10:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

metroman177

WAMTA # 6560 was in Tomah, WI today. I didn't have my camera but I had my droid. Enjoy

metroman177

More pic of 6560 in Tomah.

metroman177

One mo' batch.... 8)

79MetroExtraMD

Sweet. Look like they took a pitstop off of 94. I wonder if they go through Chicago on 94 to head east.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

OrionFlyer

#4
Wait huh? 6560? So WMATA ordered even more LFAs. The last order was an additional 48 (6510-6557).  So this 6560 must be apart of a newer one. They sure aren't wasting any time.

EDIT: Or 6560 could be a free or one of several free buses, like what happened in NYC. They got some of their Orion VII NGs for free.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: OrionFlyer on July 18, 2010, 01:54:36 PM
Wait huh? 6560? So WMATA ordered even more LFAs. The last order was an additional 48 (6510-6557).  So this 6560 must be apart of a newer one. They sure aren't wasting any time.

EDIT: Or 6560 could be a free or one of several free buses, like what happened in NYC. They got some of their Orion VII NGs for free.
No. The 48 were the stimulus buses from 6462 on up. These are another order.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

metroman177

The operator said I'd probably see alot more heading for DC, they had a pertty big order. He said about 300 buses leave the plant...took one to Canada last week.  ;)

metroman177

300 a week that is....I know I see quite a few running east on I-94...today I was in the right place at the right time, lucky I guess.  8)

Annex4421

WOW! more LFAs I wonder where these will end up. And are they just 42LFAs?



79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on July 18, 2010, 05:16:51 PM
WOW! more LFAs I wonder where these will end up. And are they just 42LFAs?
Just 42LFAs. The 37s were just replacements for the Orion IIs. There are still plenty of Orion 30 footers to suffice.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Scrabbleship

I'm amazed that WMATA's not getting more artics in this order. Montgomery and Northern could use some more and Bladensburg might be in a bind next year when the U8/R2 go back to 40'-only buses. Don't forget Landover and FMR!

I also am wondering if the current LFA order is a point of no return. When could Sarles tell New Flyer to possibly downgrade the order to LFR's to save money per bus. Your fare increase at work to preserve Catoe's fetish for buses with curves.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 07:45:33 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA's not getting more artics in this order. Montgomery and Northern could use some more and Bladensburg might be in a bind next year when the U8/R2 go back to 40'-only buses. Don't forget Landover and FMR!

I also am wondering if the current LFA order is a point of no return. When could Sarles tell New Flyer to possibly downgrade the order to LFR's to save money per bus. Your fare increase at work to preserve Catoe's fetish for buses with curves.
Maybe in a couple of years or so there might be another order of tics. Right now, Northern, Bladensburg, and Montgomery are the only ones where they need them the most. Northern is rumored to close sometime in the future given the opening of the new Southeastern garage which will support artics. FMR just doesn't have the space. As for Landover, even if some lines get good loads, given some of the assignments, the interlining would make the use of a tic unfeasable if its on a route that's low key.

Also, the choice of bus is not the GM's decision. It's Procurement and Purchasing that offer the specs and the manufacturer offers the options. To the average rider, a bus is a bus. Just matters if it comes.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Scrabbleship

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 18, 2010, 08:41:14 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 07:45:33 PM
I'm amazed that WMATA's not getting more artics in this order. Montgomery and Northern could use some more and Bladensburg might be in a bind next year when the U8/R2 go back to 40'-only buses. Don't forget Landover and FMR!

I also am wondering if the current LFA order is a point of no return. When could Sarles tell New Flyer to possibly downgrade the order to LFR's to save money per bus. Your fare increase at work to preserve Catoe's fetish for buses with curves.
Maybe in a couple of years or so there might be another order of tics. Right now, Northern, Bladensburg, and Montgomery are the only ones where they need them the most. Northern is rumored to close sometime in the future given the opening of the new Southeastern garage which will support artics. FMR just doesn't have the space. As for Landover, even if some lines get good loads, given some of the assignments, the interlining would make the use of a tic unfeasable if its on a route that's low key.

I thought FMR had some space for artics and somehow had to have had the space for the two for the 5A. I think space could be somehow made. As for Landover, isolate the routes that need artics the most and don't have them interline. No more F6 into a B29 garbage, IMO.

QuoteAlso, the choice of bus is not the GM's decision. It's Procurement and Purchasing that offer the specs and the manufacturer offers the options. To the average rider, a bus is a bus. Just matters if it comes.

Both parties should be lucky that the press hasn't gotten on WMATA's case of wasting millions in precious money on needless styling packages. The GM should have the right to override anyone when it comes to specs of vehicles in times of financial need (which this is one) for the sake of the good of the agency. Of course, WMATA's charter probably makes the GM a figurehead behind the board and at this point I think ATU 689 has more clout than the GM.

And people wonder why some want the feds to take over WMATA...

WayneNYC

Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 18, 2010, 09:54:24 PM
Both parties should be lucky that the press hasn't gotten on WMATA's case of wasting millions in precious money on needless styling packages. The GM should have the right to override anyone when it comes to specs of vehicles in times of financial need (which this is one) for the sake of the good of the agency. Of course, WMATA's charter probably makes the GM a figurehead behind the board and at this point I think ATU 689 has more clout than the GM.

And people wonder why some want the feds to take over WMATA...

That may be a good thing to leak to the press as the LFA styling (in my opinion) is clearly a very unnecessary expense.  In fact, I think it's a waste as there's no functional benefit of the extra length and weight of the extra plastic.

ChristopherF

It looks like either Annex, Bladensburg, or Royal (or all of the above) will be getting New Flyer DE42LFA hybrids after all.  Bladensburg & Four Mile Run both have CNGs, but not hybrids.  Annex & Royal don't have hybrids at all.  But that will most likely change within the next few weeks, if not months.