VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds

Started by WMAveteran, August 19, 2009, 04:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WMAveteran

THE WASHINGTON POST reported today that VRE will receive $9.8 million that will "go toward the purchase of 12 locomotives" and PRTC "will use the rest of the money to add two buses to its 126-bus fleet.  One bus will seat 30 and the other 43, and they will be available in about a year, ... "  Some money will also be used for bus shelters and other capital costs.

Perry

I read in PRTC's meeting minutes that these vehicles will be Gilligs.  That would mean the 40 footer would be bus 189 and the 30 footer would be bus 272 I believe.

Tritransit Area

Interesting.  PRTC will have 1 40 foot Gillig Low Floor in service.  I guess it will be build to suburban specs like the Phantoms and Orions
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Perry

I guess if they're not making the Phantoms anymore that would be correct.  When I worked there they absolutely were not buying anything with more than one door.  I always argued it would be more sensible to buy the two door buses and put them on the Metro Directs, but since they show up on other commuter routes at times, they didn't want to lose anymore seats than they had to.

DCAreaTransitFan

i wonder what engine and transmision these low floors would have
New Flyer C40LFR

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: DCAreaTransitFan on June 10, 2010, 05:28:44 PM
i wonder what engine and transmision these low floors would have
Cummins ISL/Allison maybe.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06