Are the clever devices malfuctioning or something?

Started by OrionFlyer, October 09, 2008, 11:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OrionFlyer

When I took a bus ride to DC on Tuesday every bus I was on the clever device's weren't working properly. So whats going on?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Alot of the systems seem to be having alot of software glitches. Metro is trying to integrate everything together for a "hands free" system. Basically, when the operator logs into the farebox using their ID, it's supposed to register with the AVL and set up the Clever Devices and signs. I've seen it work only twice just on the 79 (figures), but for some reason, I've seen two different things. Landover's buses all have CAUTION TESTING on the rear signs alongside the route number; most of the rest of the buses have systems that work soemtimes but will reset midroute which is a pain in the ass cause it has to self-test. (Please do not stand in the rear doorwell). You wonder why NextBus still isn't up yet.

In theory, I think what'll happen is that Metro might pull what Chicago is doing. In Chicago, the operator logs into the Clever Device system using a run ID number and it'll set up the announcements and signs automatically and when they get to one terminal, the signs will change for the other trip. So instead of having to change the sign manually (before it goes past the end of route marker and flips to NOT IN SERVICE), the signs should change to reflect the return trip. This is Why-MATA.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

OrionFlyer

Makes sense now. Oh, yeah the voice did kept saying, "Please don't stand in the rear door well" when nobody was there.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.