News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

You must be 21 to drive a bus

Started by 79MetroExtraMD, July 10, 2010, 09:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

79MetroExtraMD

Teen's Metrobus Joyride Ends in Multiple Charges
A D.C. teen discovers driving a Metrobus is harder than it   looks  By JOHN   ADAMS   Updated 8:46 AM EDT, Sat, Jul 10, 2010
The Metro Transit Police   Department arrested William Jackson, 19, and charged him   with unauthorized use of a vehicle and fleeing the scene of an accident.
The details are still a little sketchy but initial reports from   Transit officials are that Jackson, while wearing a bus driver's uniform, took a   bus from within Metro's Bladensburg facility. He drove from the   facility and struck a tree at 17th Street and Massachusetts Avenue around 4:15   p.m. on Friday.
A witness to the accident alerted Metro police and they pulled   the bus over ending Jackson's joyride. Jackson hopped out of the bus and made a   run for it, but was apprehended by police just a few blocks away, according to   police.
There were no injuries reported as a result of the accident,   according to transit officials.
Transit police continue to investigate how the teen got his   hands on a driver's uniform, entered the facility and drove off with a Metrobus   without anyone noticing.


First Published: Jul 10, 2010 7:43 AM EDT
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local-beat/Teens-Metrobus-Joyride-Ends-in-Multiple-Charges-98161319.html
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

btconet

OK, THIS CALLS FOR A DCATZ ROLL CALL!!!

metroman177

What a idiot......I could go on, but I won't, you get my picture. >:(

C40LF_2464

Oh wow! These things keep on getting more hilarious bye the moment! Surprised how this actually happened! Anyone think this inspired him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdIgMNx9I64&feature=related

metroman177

That's cool and difference from achieveing your life long dream and joy riding. The guy(SOB) that took the bus now may never reach his goal because of a stupid decision...there lots out there who didn't look before they leaped now they get to deal with their action....hope he didn't cause too much damage to the bus.  >:(

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: metroman177 on July 10, 2010, 03:13:56 PM
That's cool and difference from achieveing your life long dream and joy riding. The guy(SOB) that took the bus now may never reach his goal because of a stupid decision...there lots out there who didn't look before they leaped now they get to deal with their action....hope he didn't cause too much damage to the bus.  >:(
My thing is how the heck the people at Bladensburg didn't even notice the kid.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WES

Don't get me started on the moron who took the bus.  Apparently there was a guard there who saw the kid, and he looked official enough to the guard and he let him pass.  My question is how did he get the driver's shirt AND the orange vest they now use when driving a bus.

When taking pics around buses be carefully, drivers will be a little vigilant when they see busfans taking pics of their buses, especially when their buses are parked.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

OrionFlyer

#7
Looks like he's a Flxible fan, because that's the bus he took. http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/metro-bus-stolen-by-dc-teen-6pm-071010

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WMATAGMOAGH

Are the vests now mandatory while driving?  I've noticed quite a few drivers wearing them over the past month.

WES, it is pretty easy to fake a WMATA vest:  http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/journal/permalink.php?id=529  (I hope Ben doesn't mind my posting this link, apologies to Ben in advance if you do.)

SchuminWeb

Yeah, the old-style vests are the standard-model FliteStar vest from Head Lites.

I don't know what the newer-style vests with the sleeves are from.

Ride On 51 to Norbeck Park and Ride

WayneNYC

#10
I think that the security (at the entrance) will catch the heat for this one.  If he instisted on wrecking a bus... he should've taken an Orion VII:-).

Seeing as the bus (9318) hit a tree, it must have body damage and I imagine it will be scrapped.

Here it is in April 2010.

 

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on July 10, 2010, 11:09:42 PM
Are the vests now mandatory while driving?  I've noticed quite a few drivers wearing them over the past month.

WES, it is pretty easy to fake a WMATA vest:  http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/journal/permalink.php?id=529  (I hope Ben doesn't mind my posting this link, apologies to Ben in advance if you do.)
They aren't mandatory for driving but are for when they are outside of the bus or in the yard. Alot of operators probably wear them just so they can have them on when they step off the bus.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tristan

#12
Guys, it ain't that hard.  I have a Metrobus operator's shirt.  I went to a thrift store in VA to drop off some crap and I saw 8 of them sitting there on a rack...I only bought one, it was like $2, I used it as a Halloween costume one year where there were a bunch of people from other TAs.

The only thing that would have looked suspicious is why no one thought it weird that he went from outside the facility straight to a bus -- if you're pulling a bus out, you'd come from the building to the buses, not from the street.  Still, I can see how he'd be missed by guards who see hundreds of blue shirts a day.

The kid had a "Fascination with Buses"...maybe Metro will put up some DCATZ ads so similar misguided youth will come here instead of straight to the garage, lol


Tritransit Area

Here's an immense side note, but did WMATA put another Orion VII in the new scheme?  I see in the video where the media just walked in that there's a silver Orion VII there.  2665 wasn't moved, was it?

Now, in regards to the story, Imma be REAL mad if he caused 9318 to get scrapped.  I rode that lovely bus in Virginia a while ago on the 1Z and got some nice pics.  LOL, I remember the driver was wondering why I was taking pictures of her bus.  Ah, the memories....



Well, as bad as it was with what he did, at least we can say he has great taste in buses! ;)  At least he didn't smash into a dozen cars and run into a light pole like a local teen did to a NABI out here.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Scrabbleship

Anyone with knowledge of what goes on in NYC think that if this happens again that we may have our own Darius McCollum?

Also, how ironic that this kid takes a bus that quite possibly is older than he is. Maybe he was just saving the effort of having to retire the Metro B's.  ::)