News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

WMATA Roadeo

Started by Tristan, September 12, 2008, 01:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tristan

Bus "Roadeo" challenges driving skills and troubleshooting skills of local bus operators and mechanics
The Metrobus Roadeo takes place on Saturday, September 13, from 8 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Landover Metrobus Division in Landover, Md.
The annual contest features a competition that tests the professional skills of Metrobus operators and maintenance teams.
Called a ARoadeo@ because Metrobuses are put through their daily paces on a road or in the "corral," this event challenges bus operators and maintenance workers to demonstrate their efficiency in timed skills events. Individual bus operators and teams of bus mechanics compete for first through third place in the local competition, which scores the competitors on professional appearance and on the ability to safely and quickly complete an obstacle course or troubleshoot maintenance problems.
"This competition allows our operators and mechanics to showcase their excellent driving and mechanical skills and demonstrates why Metrobus is one of the safest bus systems in the nation," said Milo Victoria, Metro's Assistant General Manager for Bus Service.
One of the timed skill events for operators involves being able to stop a bus before hitting an obstacle--in this instance, an orange traffic cone. Operators who come closest to the cone without making contact receive points for that event. At the conclusion of the day=s events, cumulative point totals on all obstacles determine the winning operators.
One of the events mechanical teams compete in involves the identification of planted defects on buses. The mechanical team which identifies the most planted defects correctly and in the shortest amount of time receives points for that module. As with the bus operators, the team with the highest cumulative point total for all modules is the winner.
The first place winners of the local "Roadeo" will advance to the 2009 International Bus Roadeo competition in Seattle, Washington next spring. The international competition is sponsored by the American Public Transportation Association.
Saturday's Roadeo will include events and entertainment for family and friends of the competitors such as music, visits from McGruff the Crime Dog, Max the Metro Mascot and the Metrobus Robot, activities for children, bus displays and prizes.
In addition, this year=s competition will feature a custom auto and Motorcycle show, with first and second place prizes to be awarded in five different categories. There will also be a safety-related competition sponsored by Metro=s Department of Safety and Risk Protection, participation by the Metro Transit Police Department and activities for children.

Sounds like the same boring show.

WayneNYC


OrionFlyer

#2
Yes yes yes yes ;D ;D ;D ;D. One of the new New Flyer BRT Hybrids are there now. But it probably won't be in service until December. So there going to be the 6300 series, cool.

How long has WMATA been hiding it?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Tristan

Consider the fact that we posted here the minute we first saw the tics.  I think if someone knew it was there, they would have posted, so it's hard to saw how long they were "hiding" it.

79MetroExtraMD

Damn Tristan. Convinced me not to go. I wanted to see my babies :P. So the DE42LFA is here. Looks really nice. Almost confused it for the 42BRT. I can't wait to see these in service in the coming months. I am truly loving that scheme.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

LandoverDivision

I was there. I got a lot of pictures, videos, and of course, the food.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

LandoverDivision

Hey Wayne, I was there too. I might have seen you dude!!
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

Topics (article & photos/discussion) merged.

WES

And what was on the 5A today..................an Orion VII.

I went passed Landover today and all of the buses that were in the rodeo were still there posing together.  There were two NABI artics, along side with the RTS, DE42LFR or whatever is added in that model number and I think the new look.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

LandoverDivision

Quote from: WES on September 14, 2008, 07:29:20 PM
And what was on the 5A today..................an Orion VII.

I went passed Landover today and all of the buses that were in the rodeo were still there posing together.  There were two NABI artics, along side with the RTS, DE42LFR or whatever is added in that model number and I think the new look.

That's a DE42LFA. And yes, that was a New Look I believe.
The REAL Landover Division fan!