DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: LandoverDivision on January 13, 2009, 02:20:22 PM

Title: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: LandoverDivision on January 13, 2009, 02:20:22 PM
I walked off The Bus Gillig Advantage earlier and it's a good thing I looked where the driver is. What I saw surprised the hell out of me. Today's date on a whole stack of orange all day passes. I thought they were done with transfers. Seems not.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on January 13, 2009, 03:13:21 PM
I think Ride-On still sells them as well.

BTW will all regional TAs accept the 1-day pass even though they are paper passes?
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: rideonrulez on January 13, 2009, 03:53:47 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on January 13, 2009, 03:13:21 PM
I think Ride-On still sells them as well.

BTW will all regional TAs accept the 1-day pass even though they are paper passes?

Wow I did'nt know PG The Bus stll had them too. I thought Ride On was the only system to still sell them as we were the inventers of the all day pass in this region.

Now the other TA's are suppose to honor the all day pass because if you read in between the lines it states that they won't accept "paper TRANSFERs". It is an "all day PASS" that is why it is still accepted.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: LandoverDivision on January 13, 2009, 03:57:32 PM
Quote from: rideonrulez on January 13, 2009, 03:53:47 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on January 13, 2009, 03:13:21 PM
I think Ride-On still sells them as well.

BTW will all regional TAs accept the 1-day pass even though they are paper passes?

Wow I did'nt know PG The Bus stll had them too. I thought Ride On was the only system to still sell them as we were the inventers of the all day pass in this region.

Now the other TA's are suppose to honor the all day pass because if you read in between the lines it states that they won't accept "paper TRANSFERs". It is an "all day PASS" that is why it is still accepted.

Yes but an all day pass is still a paper transfer kinda. I count it as a paper transfer.  ;D
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: Perry on January 13, 2009, 04:26:38 PM
Except you don't hand it off to the operator like a normal transfer.  It's just a pass that's made of paper.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: WayneNYC on January 13, 2009, 04:40:07 PM
I guess you can think of it as a flash pass that's valid for just one day.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: LandoverDivision on January 13, 2009, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on January 13, 2009, 04:40:07 PM
I guess you can think of it as a flash pass that's valid for just one day.

True. I was going to call it that.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: Tritransit Area on January 13, 2009, 11:27:32 PM
WHOA!  That's interesting, I didn't realize that regional day passes were still available...from the other authorities.

Do they still cost 3 dollars and whatnot?  Hopefully all the area TA's got the memo to accept them...
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: aznboy4305 on January 14, 2009, 12:39:03 AM
Yeah...one day passes still exist, its a pass not a transfer. Many operators tend to hand them out when they don't feel like explaining to people why they can't get a paper transfer.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: Tritransit Area on January 14, 2009, 10:16:21 PM
So is WMATA the only one who got rid of them?  I thought they specifically got rid of the 1 day pass a long time back.  That's why I've been using the Smartrip card on buses nowadays - I used to just buy a daypass and save the Smartrip for the Metrorail.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on January 17, 2009, 12:04:56 PM
I think it was Ken who told me that you can have your Smartrip card activated as a 1-day pass, IIRC the driver has to press the number 6 and you just scan the card.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on January 17, 2009, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on January 17, 2009, 12:04:56 PM
I think it was Ken who told me that you can have your Smartrip card activated as a 1-day pass, IIRC the driver has to press the number 6 and you just scan the card.

I'm skeptical of this, and even if the feature exists, it is probably just in the testing phase and not meant to be used.  It is in WMATA's interest to make passes and Smartrip compatible as soon as possible, so it wouldn't make much sense to have that capability and not use it.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: Tritransit Area on January 18, 2009, 12:50:20 AM
I believe they have been working on enabling the Smartrip to be used as a 1 day pass for quite a while if I'm not mistaken.  The only problem that I would see with this procedure is that the Smartrip would accidentally turn into a one day pass...regardless of how much money is on the card.  This could also affect transferring in the future.

It would be cool if they can get it to work...apparently MTA Baltimore is still working on their card.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on January 18, 2009, 12:06:33 PM
Yeah that would be cool if they can officially get it to work because sometimes I'm out all day and I don't wanna have to worry about the time I have to transfer to the next bus or how much money I have on my Smartrip...plus it saves paper and it will bring back the already-gone 1-day pass for WMATA.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: Tristan on January 20, 2009, 02:34:30 PM
I don't think it's that it works as a one-day pass but that $3 can be deducted to PAY for a one-day pass.  Also, key assignments vary from system-to-system: for us, Key 6 is Lunch Loop...others use Alt keys (Blue or Green + another button) for things like day passes.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on June 15, 2009, 11:41:03 PM
Has anyone actually tried using the one day pass on other systems since January?  I'm planning a bus fanning excursion for this week, and trying to figure out various options.
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on June 16, 2009, 01:23:38 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on June 15, 2009, 11:41:03 PM
Has anyone actually tried using the one day pass on other systems since January?  I'm planning a bus fanning excursion for this week, and trying to figure out various options.

I have, and every driver accepted it except for this one driver from Royal because he thinks that because WMATA doesn't sell them anymore, they won't accept it either. BS...

BTW that day I used it for WMATA and Connector, and Ride-On still sells them as well (that's where I bought it from anyways)
Title: Re: The Bus STILL selling all-day passes!
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on June 17, 2009, 10:54:24 PM
So I bought the pass and everyone accepted it aside from a FX driver on the 401, who said we don't take that but I'll let you go anyway.

HOWEVER:

The friend who was with me just used his Smartrip all day and only paid one bus fare at about 10:25 AM (minus the 50 cent discount for coming off rail) and got a transfer for all subsequent trips (we were riding until 6:30 PM).  I had a similar thing happen in March.  It seems as if so long as you board a bus at least once every 3 hours (though possibly more frequently), you keep getting transfers.  Rail trips were interspersed and had no effect on the transfer privledges as far as we could tell either.