October 22, 2008
New Metrobuses to hit the streets Longer buses with a new look begin service Monday Metro will roll out its new red-and-silver buses Monday, October 27.
Most of the 22, 60-foot articulated or ultra-long accordion style buses will travel the U8 line, which runs from the Capitol Heights Metrorail station in Prince George's County, Md., to Benning Heights in Southeast Washington. Two of the compressed natural gas (CNG) buses will be tested beginning Monday, November 3, on the popular 5A Route, which runs from L'Enfant Plaza Metrorail station to Washington Dulles International Airport.
"These sleek, aerodynamic bus rapid transit-style buses are the first of the new-look buses to be put into service. More than 200 hybrid-electric buses with the same look are expected to arrive by next summer to replace older buses," said Milo Victoria, head of Metrobus.
The $793,000 new CNG buses feature vandal-resistant cushioned seats, handhold straps for standing passengers, better heating and cooling systems, security cameras and rear-view cameras to help operators see behind the bus. There are 61 seats, and the buses can carry a total of 103 people, including standees.
"Passengers will enjoy a safer and more comfortable ride, and we hope more people will be attracted to and want to ride Metrobus," Victoria said. "We hope the new red, silver, blue and white color scheme will draw people's attention."
More than 460,000 people ride Metrobus on an average weekday. Metro has a fleet of 1,510 buses, including 461 CNG, 50 diesel-electric hybrid buses, 117 clean-diesel buses and 882 diesel buses.
Metro plans to move most of the new articulated buses to the X2 line, which runs from Benning Road to H Street in the District of Columbia, next year after street repairs are expected to be completed. The new buses will replace outdated articulated buses on the line.
The U8???? ???
On my B-day? Oh hellz yeah. I'm getting pictures and videos all day. And my team plays the Colts on my b-day.
I saw in the PDF that Express bus routes are going to have buses with the same color scheme as the Metro Extra Bus. So does that mean that the B30 route will have buses with a color scheme since that is an express bus route?
I'm no expert, but in looking at the U8 schedule, it would seem plenty of spares will be available. It takes at most 65 minutes to run the circuit, and runs at best a 10 minute headway. Thus, not more than 8 buses would be on the line at any given time.
I sort of wonder if there was political pressure to get them on the street, and the U8 represented a heavy hauling route from that division which they could show them off as running with great frequency, but which didn't need a lot of them to fully supply.
Of course they'd hit the streets on the same day we're leaving town. I guess I'll have to find them when we return.
I still think a fleet-wide express/MetroExtra, local branding is not a good idea for WMATA. I think they can wing it for some dedicated buses like the current MetroExtra and even the B30 buses. However, I don't care much for it because WMATA local buses regularly do express trips and vice-versa.
I don't think the Metro Extra color scheme would look right on a Orion V. So I hope WMATA decides to use the New Flyer D40lf, DE40lf,or De40lfrs with the color scheme on the B30. I really would like to see other buses on that line besides Orion V's
Quote from: NGOrion on October 22, 2008, 05:24:10 PM
The U8???? ???
Well this is not to believe but the U8 have seen artics before, so them being on that route won't odd.
Even though they are going to put it on the U8, I guaantee the Metro will change that soon after.
From what I heard, they will be put on the U8 until re-paving on H Street is complete. After that, they will go on the X2.
I wonder what will happen to the other artics *hopes to see the Neos move*
Oh and on Tuesday I will go to Rosslyn to try to capture some of these on the 5A.
So if you want to be the first to get pics of them in service, you best do them on Monday.
Quote from: George on October 23, 2008, 07:26:58 AM
From what I heard, they will be put on the U8 until re-paving on H Street is complete. After that, they will go on the X2.
I wonder what will happen to the other artics *hopes to see the Neos move*
Oh and on Tuesday I will go to Rosslyn to try to capture some of these on the 5A.
So if you want to be the first to get pics of them in service, you best do them on Monday.
It is going to be hard getting photos of an artic on the 5A on Tuesday, unless you are referring to the week after next.
Quote from: George on October 23, 2008, 07:26:58 AM
From what I heard, they will be put on the U8 until re-paving on H Street is complete. After that, they will go on the X2.
I wonder what will happen to the other artics *hopes to see the Neos move*
Oh and on Tuesday I will go to Rosslyn to try to capture some of these on the 5A.
So if you want to be the first to get pics of them in service, you best do them on Monday.
Yeah me too. What are they going to do with the so called "outdated articulateds" (old NABIs) on the X2? They should give a few to Landover.
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all? They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 26, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all? They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
Nope
and Oren, the artics won't be on the 5A for a couple more weeks?
Quote from: George on October 26, 2008, 02:40:29 AM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 26, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all? They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
Nope
and Oren, the artics won't be on the 5A for a couple more weeks?
George,
According to Metro, the 5A isn't seeing the artics untill November 3rd. So, you'll have to wait until then.
Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 26, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all? They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
Here's the deal about Landover and hosting artics. If WMATA's not gonna increase service, then yea put artics on routes like the T18, P12, C22, maybe the F4. But I would rather increase those routes to a point where eventually they would need artics because the increased service would then warrant artics. But with Maryland's budget problems, then yea, keep those artics and base them out of Landover. This maybe still true, because MD funds Montgomery and PG bus service, increasing service would warrant an increase in funding from the statehouse in order for that to happen.
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.
1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.
Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...
Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 27, 2008, 06:13:16 AM
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.
1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.
Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...
I do have to agree with you about the lack of artics on a Sunday. WhyMATA can really use them seven days a week.
The U8 is not really a "nothing" route. It carries almost 6,000 riders a day. On top of that both ends use to be operated with artics before it was created.
Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 27, 2008, 06:13:16 AM
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.
1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.
Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...
If you can avoid it, why not? I'm sure they'll be coddling these buses for the next few months.
Quote from: Tristan on October 27, 2008, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 27, 2008, 06:13:16 AM
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.
1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.
Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...
If you can avoid it, why not? I'm sure they'll be coddling these buses for the next few months.
Coddle them on a route where people will actually see them and where they won't cause problems for the entire route. Like the H's, the 80, the D6, or even the 79.
I would love to see them, but exiling them in the far reaches of SE with not much else to see isn't going to get me to come down from MoCo, especially since I work deeper in MoCo.
i don't think the 'Hs, 80, D6, or even the 79" need artics.
Quote from: Tristan on October 27, 2008, 09:57:16 PM
i don't think the 'Hs, 80, D6, or even the 79" need artics.
The 79 yes, but the other routes no.