News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Articulateds to hit the streets...

Started by Tristan, October 22, 2008, 11:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tristan

October 22, 2008
New Metrobuses to hit the streets   Longer buses with a new look begin service Monday   Metro will roll out its new red-and-silver buses Monday, October 27. 

Most of the 22, 60-foot articulated or ultra-long accordion style buses  will travel the U8 line, which runs from the Capitol Heights Metrorail station  in Prince George's County, Md., to Benning Heights in Southeast Washington. Two  of the compressed natural gas (CNG) buses will be tested beginning Monday,  November 3, on the popular 5A Route, which runs from L'Enfant Plaza Metrorail  station to Washington Dulles International Airport.

"These sleek,  aerodynamic bus rapid transit-style buses are the first of the new-look buses to  be put into service. More than 200 hybrid-electric buses with the same look are  expected to arrive by next summer to replace older buses," said Milo Victoria,  head of Metrobus.

The $793,000 new CNG buses feature vandal-resistant  cushioned seats, handhold straps for standing passengers, better heating and  cooling systems, security cameras and rear-view cameras to help operators see  behind the bus. There are 61 seats, and the buses can carry a total of 103  people, including standees.

"Passengers will enjoy a safer and more  comfortable ride, and we hope more people will be attracted to and want to ride  Metrobus," Victoria said. "We hope the new red, silver, blue and white color  scheme will draw people's attention."

More than 460,000 people ride  Metrobus on an average weekday. Metro has a fleet of 1,510 buses, including 461  CNG, 50 diesel-electric hybrid buses, 117 clean-diesel buses and 882 diesel  buses.

Metro plans to move most of the new articulated buses to the X2  line, which runs from Benning Road to H Street in the District of Columbia, next  year after street repairs are expected to be completed. The new buses will  replace outdated articulated buses on the line.

OrionFlyer

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

LandoverDivision

On my B-day? Oh hellz yeah. I'm getting pictures and videos all day. And my team plays the Colts on my b-day.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

OrionFlyer

I saw in the PDF that Express bus routes are going to have buses with the same color scheme as the Metro Extra Bus. So does that mean that the B30 route will have buses with a color scheme since that is an express bus route?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

btconet

I'm no expert, but in looking at the U8 schedule, it would seem plenty of spares will be available.  It takes at most 65 minutes to run the circuit, and runs at best a 10 minute headway.  Thus, not more than 8 buses would be on the line at any given time. 

I sort of wonder if there was political pressure to get them on the street, and the U8 represented a heavy hauling route from that division which they could show them off as running with great frequency, but which didn't need a lot of them to fully supply.

WayneNYC

Of course they'd hit the streets on the same day we're leaving town.  I guess I'll have to find them when we return.

I still think a fleet-wide express/MetroExtra, local branding is not a good idea for WMATA.  I think they can wing it for some dedicated buses like the current MetroExtra and even the B30 buses.  However, I don't care much for it because WMATA local buses regularly do express trips and vice-versa.

OrionFlyer

I don't think the Metro Extra color scheme would look right on a Orion V. So I hope WMATA decides to use the New Flyer D40lf, DE40lf,or De40lfrs with the color scheme on the B30. I really would like to see other buses on that line besides Orion V's
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WES

Quote from: NGOrion on October 22, 2008, 05:24:10 PM
The U8???? ???

Well this is not to believe but the U8 have seen artics before, so them being on that route won't odd.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

LandoverDivision

Even though they are going to put it on the U8, I guaantee the Metro will change that soon after.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

NewFlyer9736BCT

From what I heard, they will be put on the U8 until re-paving on H Street is complete. After that, they will go on the X2.

I wonder what will happen to the other artics *hopes to see the Neos move*

Oh and on Tuesday I will go to Rosslyn to try to capture some of these on the 5A.
So if you want to be the first to get pics of them in service, you best do them on Monday.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: George on October 23, 2008, 07:26:58 AM
From what I heard, they will be put on the U8 until re-paving on H Street is complete. After that, they will go on the X2.

I wonder what will happen to the other artics *hopes to see the Neos move*

Oh and on Tuesday I will go to Rosslyn to try to capture some of these on the 5A.
So if you want to be the first to get pics of them in service, you best do them on Monday.

It is going to be hard getting photos of an artic on the 5A on Tuesday, unless you are referring to the week after next.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: George on October 23, 2008, 07:26:58 AM
From what I heard, they will be put on the U8 until re-paving on H Street is complete. After that, they will go on the X2.

I wonder what will happen to the other artics *hopes to see the Neos move*

Oh and on Tuesday I will go to Rosslyn to try to capture some of these on the 5A.
So if you want to be the first to get pics of them in service, you best do them on Monday.

Yeah me too. What are they going to do with the so called "outdated articulateds" (old NABIs) on the X2? They should give a few to Landover.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tritransit Area

Hmm does Landover have any artics at all?  They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 26, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all?  They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
Nope

and Oren, the artics won't be on the 5A for a couple more weeks?
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

LandoverDivision

Quote from: George on October 26, 2008, 02:40:29 AM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 26, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all?  They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!
Nope

and Oren, the artics won't be on the 5A for a couple more weeks?

George,

According to Metro, the 5A isn't seeing the artics untill November 3rd. So, you'll have to wait until then.
The REAL Landover Division fan!