News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

The WMATA replacement bus garage thread

Started by WES, July 05, 2009, 04:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WES

Maybe I am the only who didn't know this.  I knew that Royal Street was due to be replaced, but with one near the Fort Belvoir in south Fairfax?  This replacement garage is planned to be on Cinder Bed Road in Fairfax County, near Pohick Road, I-95 and the Fairfax Connector Park(ing lot)way.

Northern  and Western is slated to be closed down, I guess replaced by the new Southeastern, Bladensburg, maybe Montgomery and a rebuilt Annex, which would probably be either renamed back to Prince George's or named Southern Avenue.  Deadheads to the garages if all pans out would be interesting.

I knew about the Southeastern garage replacement (hopefully that is still on, knowing the on again, off again negotiations to place it near Blue Plains) and the expansion and rebuilding of Annex but the closing of Northern and the possible construction of the Royal replacement came as news to me(again I knew that Royal was going to be replaced, but I never heard where the replacement was going to be).

There is a link on WMATA's website to all of this info (maybe I should have put the link down), so all this info is there.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

WES

Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

OrionFlyer

Hmm, I wonder which divisions would be possible canidates for Northern's bus routes.  I bet the 70/71 and the 90/92.93 would be Bladensburg. If Northern closes its obvious that some of there buses would be transferred to Bladensburg. How many more can Bladensburg hold? If Western closes, then Montgomery would probably do some of Western's routes like the 30's. I predict the 42 would become all Bladensburg since that division does that line already.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WES

Bladnesburg can hold over 300 buses, I think around 330, if you relocate the bus rebuilding process to another garage or to Carmen E Turner.  The new Southeastern, if built is supposed to hold over 250 buses and the Annex rebuild, I think can hold over 150-175 buses.  I am guessing for that garage to be expanded the shopping centers that surrounds it and mabye the church in front of it would have to be bought out.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

Tritransit Area

WOW, I can't believe some of these garages are in such disrepair.  Buses parked in water?  Hmm...doesn't do much good for them, especially with buses being built the way they are today.

Hopefully they are able to figure out what to do and to build/rebuild garages that are safe and workable.  Surprised the unions aren't hanging up WMATA with clothes pins...the unions around here (SEPTA) seem to do so for less.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

79MetroExtraMD

Royal Street definitely needs to be relocated because it's just one square block in the middle of Alexandria and they run mostly Fairfax county routes with a few Arlington and Alex stuff. The Cinder Bed Road garage location seemed a bit familiar. IIRC, thats where Connector's Huntington garage is currently. The new Southeastern garage, ironically to be located in SW, is supposed to be a mirror image of West Ox (except for the Connector/Metro sharing). There is supposed to be a facility for Metro PD alongside Metro's facility as per the plans on WMATA's site.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06