News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

April 2009 Observation Photos

Started by LandoverDivision, April 01, 2009, 01:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: OrionFlyer on April 20, 2009, 10:21:49 PM
Here's something that I've been thinking about, WMATA recently increased service on the 79; adding additional buses (the C40lfrs painted in the Express scheme) to it. If they're going to keep the keep the 79 named as "Metro Extra", then why would those additional buses be painted in the Express scheme instead of the Metro Extra scheme? This is leading me to think that the name "Metro Extra" is not going to be around for long. Of course if one of the Metro Extra buses are repainted into the Express scheme then my suspicions would be true. 

The original 14 were for the original configuration for the route with a few extras. It was mainly intended as a rush hour route when it first debuted in 2007, but there was demand for it during midday. Now, the rush hour frequences went from every 10 to every 8 so I'm guessing a couple more buses were added. Plus, a couple of them seem to break down so you'll see other buses along the route. As for repainting the buses, at this time, that seems very unlikely and a little costly since those buses are mainly intended for the 79. I still say that no matter what the paint says, the sign is the most important part.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

LandoverDivision

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on April 21, 2009, 01:01:24 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on April 20, 2009, 10:21:49 PM
Here's something that I've been thinking about, WMATA recently increased service on the 79; adding additional buses (the C40lfrs painted in the Express scheme) to it. If they're going to keep the keep the 79 named as "Metro Extra", then why would those additional buses be painted in the Express scheme instead of the Metro Extra scheme? This is leading me to think that the name "Metro Extra" is not going to be around for long. Of course if one of the Metro Extra buses are repainted into the Express scheme then my suspicions would be true. 

The original 14 were for the original configuration for the route with a few extras. It was mainly intended as a rush hour route when it first debuted in 2007, but there was demand for it during midday. Now, the rush hour frequences went from every 10 to every 8 so I'm guessing a couple more buses were added. Plus, a couple of them seem to break down so you'll see other buses along the route. As for repainting the buses, at this time, that seems very unlikely and a little costly since those buses are mainly intended for the 79. I still say that no matter what the paint says, the sign is the most important part.

In my opinion (key words "my opinion") I don't really think WMATA puts the words express and local on the scheme because these particular buses are going o show up on just local and express routes. What I'm thinking is WMATA does the schemes just to show them off or maybe they just want something different painted on the buses because well it's different.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: landoverdivision on April 21, 2009, 11:06:19 AM
Hey do you guys think I'll win the trip to Germany?

I'm pretty sure they just do a random drawing, and you can submit multiple entries.  Of course, the odds are dependent upon the number of entries received.  Not sure how good my chances were the first time around when they did the contest but I did win, so it is certainly possible.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Explanations on the first couple photos:

Here we have 4103 at Silver Spring...nothing too special right? Well if it wasn't for that glare on the block number and the sign switching to display "LOCAL" when I took the picture...you would see that this bus was serving a short 70 trip to Petworth...damn Local sign...besides LOCAL, the sign says "70 Petworth".





And over here you see CUE bus 824...but where? None other than Constitution Ave on the left lane getting ready to turn on 7th Street...I go to this spot a lot, but never seen a CUE bus anywhere besides Fairfax.





4476: The Orange Line With A View!





And the rest...







Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

OrionFlyer

Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on April 25, 2009, 07:23:11 PM
Explanations on the first couple photos:

Here we have 4103 at Silver Spring...nothing too special right? Well if it wasn't for that glare on the block number and the sign switching to display "LOCAL" when I took the picture...you would see that this bus was serving a short 70 trip to Petworth...damn Local sign...besides LOCAL, the sign says "70 Petworth".

Did it have a Northern block or a Montgomery block?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: OrionFlyer on April 25, 2009, 10:56:14 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on April 25, 2009, 07:23:11 PM
Explanations on the first couple photos:

Here we have 4103 at Silver Spring...nothing too special right? Well if it wasn't for that glare on the block number and the sign switching to display "LOCAL" when I took the picture...you would see that this bus was serving a short 70 trip to Petworth...damn Local sign...besides LOCAL, the sign says "70 Petworth".

Did it have a Northern block or a Montgomery block?

I don't know, that's also why I was pissed to find that glare blocking the block number.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

ChristopherF


LandoverDivision

Quote from: ChristopherF on April 27, 2009, 11:02:13 AM
2667 on the 23A (Crystal City)

No offense Chris, but must you note the obvious all the time when someone posts a photo?
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tritransit Area

That picture of 2667 is nice, though.

Hey, I had to do a double take with 2030 on the 1A (or an Orion VI for that matter).  Guess a nice batch of them went back to NoVA.

2030 was...a Landover bus, right?  Also, what is the block letter for West Ox depot?  I couldn't quite make out the letter.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

79MetroExtraMD

Pike Ride buses on other lines doesn't really count as odd sightings anymore since those buses get swapped around alot. Only exceptions are Bladensburg and REX. As for that 70 to Petworth, I'm pretty sure that was a Montgomery block. 4103 is a Montgomery bus. I've seen quite alot of cuts that were pulled from Montgomery runs.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

C40LF_2464

Quote from: Tritransit Area on April 28, 2009, 12:38:21 AM
That picture of 2667 is nice, though.

Hey, I had to do a double take with 2030 on the 1A (or an Orion VI for that matter).  Guess a nice batch of them went back to NoVA.

2030 was...a Landover bus, right?  Also, what is the block letter for West Ox depot?  I couldn't quite make out the letter.
The West Ox block is A.