News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Favorite Bus

Started by Antozilla, December 19, 2008, 01:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Antozilla

Not type of bus, bus #

for me its bus 2020, the bus of vision

Its an Orion VI and the number is cool

Tristan

I think 9492 and 2650, both because of sound - 9492 is the cleanest-sounding Metro-B I think Metro has and 2650 makes a strange whistling-howling sound that the other units don't make.

aznboy4305

I don't have one favorite bus...I have many.

Ride On 5706 - This bus is just plain FAST, probably the fastest one in the entire fleet.

Ride On 5802 - Just plain unique.

CityBus 706 - The most powerful and best sounding New Flyer artic we had, sadly it was retired prematurely for some reason.

CityBus 308 - One of the last surviving 1983 Gilligs we have, the old factor is just cool enough by itself. But it is also one of the best sounding and best running 6v92s on property. Also it rides smooth, rock solid, and has this neat looking positive-offset rear wheels.

Perry

I used to like 4214 when it was freshly rehabbed and at Arlington Division.  That was really the only '97 Orion V I liked.  Back in the day I used to try to search out AM General 7313 since that was my address in Hyattsville and Orion V 2171 for my birthday (2/1/71), 8592 was a great Flx New Look and I used to like Metro D 9701.  Since I've been away from the DC area for more than a year and hadn't ridden Metrobuses in earnest for a good 3 years or so, I don't really have an opinion on the new stuff.  I rode a DE40LF and a D40LFR right before I left, but I don't really remember them.

Tritransit Area

Ride-On's 5546 is my top favorite bus.  It sounds great with my favorite powertrain (a screaming 6v92TA/HT748), it bounces, and it's an "old school" Orion V (back when they were cool buses).

5546 + route 49 + recorder + quiet bus = very happy Brandon grinning from ear to ear.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Tritransit Area

Quote from: aznboy4305 on December 19, 2008, 05:58:58 PM
I don't have one favorite bus...I have many.

Ride On 5706 - This bus is just plain FAST, probably the fastest one in the entire fleet.

Ride On 5802 - Just plain unique.

CityBus 706 - The most powerful and best sounding New Flyer artic we had, sadly it was retired prematurely for some reason.

CityBus 308 - One of the last surviving 1983 Gilligs we have, the old factor is just cool enough by itself. But it is also one of the best sounding and best running 6v92s on property. Also it rides smooth, rock solid, and has this neat looking positive-offset rear wheels.

5706...a fast 40ft Orion V? nifty, I should look out for it!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

NewFlyer9736BCT

#6
Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 20, 2008, 12:54:04 AM
Quote from: aznboy4305 on December 19, 2008, 05:58:58 PM
I don't have one favorite bus...I have many.

Ride On 5706 - This bus is just plain FAST, probably the fastest one in the entire fleet.

Ride On 5802 - Just plain unique.

CityBus 706 - The most powerful and best sounding New Flyer artic we had, sadly it was retired prematurely for some reason.

CityBus 308 - One of the last surviving 1983 Gilligs we have, the old factor is just cool enough by itself. But it is also one of the best sounding and best running 6v92s on property. Also it rides smooth, rock solid, and has this neat looking positive-offset rear wheels.

5706...a fast 40ft Orion V? nifty, I should look out for it!

5708 is also fast. That's one of my favorite buses.

Others include WMATA's 9761, 9823, and 4327 - all because of the whistling sounds.
Ride-On's 5576...I just love everything about this bus, it stands out from the other 5570s, u gotta see for yourself.
Ride-On's 5901...again, whistling and other unique feels to it.
Ride-On's 5706...like aznboy said...this one is fast, it has a WMATA 4300 feel to it in terms of speed and the engine sound
Ride-On's 5720...whistling

EDIT - OK so 4327, 5720, and 5901 don't exactly "whistle" but they make certain nice accelerating sounds.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

LandoverDivision

9731 because for some odd reason, this one accelerates faster than any other Metro-D.

2002 because of the strong engine noise

9701 because of the sound and the lights on the ceiling (the only 9700 series bus to have those kind of lights).

The suburban seated Orion Vs and D40LFRs.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

orionvii2680

2710- My favorite suburban seated orion vii.
Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

79MetroExtraMD

Aw man. This thread. Let's see

Metrobus
9833. Bassy Detroit. Sounds like Ride Ons 96 Gillig Phantoms.
2801 because of the TITAN sign
4101. The only Metro E i've heard whistle
9730. Nice whistle for a Flx Metro D
9370. Has the best acceleration for a Metro B. Rode this bus many times on the J4 heading down E-W and Univ.

Ride On
5545. For obvious reasons
5361. Nicest sounding Gillig. The other ones sound like crap.
5720s-30s. Nicest acceleration of any bus on the fleet. That ISL/Allison combo is nice
5003. I rode this bus on the 75 and it rides pretty nice.
5911. Great sounding Detroit S50G.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on January 07, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
Ride On
5545. For obvious reasons

I don't get it. I know it's a hammerhead Orion I but so are 5540-5544, what's different about 5545?
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on January 07, 2009, 10:38:33 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on January 07, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
Ride On
5545. For obvious reasons

I don't get it. I know it's a hammerhead Orion I but so are 5540-5544, what's different about 5545?

So I'm not the only one wondering that as well.

Having been a passenger on 5545 more times than I would have liked, I can't think of anything special about that bus, except its headsign tended to never work (which is why it was assigned to the blocks I rode on a frequent basis, they didn't interline at all).

LandoverDivision

#12
Let me also add 2801 like 79MetroExtra said. The sign of course.

Ride On:
C40LFs -- The only Ride On buses worth riding in my opinion, no offense to Ride On fans.
Gillig Advantage (Deisel) Because they look so damn awesome!!

The Bus:
63160 (Gear shift noise)
Orion Vs (Even though these things have no LCD, they sound just like our 4200s/4300s)
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Perry

I think the reason they sound like WMATA's buses is that they were part of the fleet that were rejected by them years ago.  They were bought up by several other properties and then Veolia ended up with a few.

Of course if Flxible did not go belly up in the mid 90's those would most likely have been Flxibles, but I digress....

Tritransit Area

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on January 07, 2009, 11:11:04 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on January 07, 2009, 10:38:33 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on January 07, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
Ride On
5545. For obvious reasons

I don't get it. I know it's a hammerhead Orion I but so are 5540-5544, what's different about 5545?

So I'm not the only one wondering that as well.

Having been a passenger on 5545 more times than I would have liked, I can't think of anything special about that bus, except its headsign tended to never work (which is why it was assigned to the blocks I rode on a frequent basis, they didn't interline at all).

Are we sure he didn't mean 5546?  Maybe it was a typo.  Then, the reason would be quite obvious, and I would certainly concur.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...