News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

New Ride On Gilligs

Started by rideonrulez, November 19, 2008, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: George on December 01, 2008, 10:44:43 PM
Can't wait to ride them!

(hey I asked...now I demand one on the 55!  ;D )

Why would you want a Gillig when you could have a New Flyer or Orion instead?

rideonrulez

The first of the new 40 foot Gilligs (5733 & 5734) have hit the streets this afternoon (12/3/08).
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 01, 2008, 11:32:31 PM
Quote from: George on December 01, 2008, 10:44:43 PM
Can't wait to ride them!

(hey I asked...now I demand one on the 55!  ;D )

Why would you want a Gillig when you could have a New Flyer or Orion instead?
Trust me Oren, when you ride a New Flyer or Orion V on the 55 EVERY SINGLE DAY, it does get boring after a while. Plus, with the engines and speed the Gilligs have, it would be a really nice and quick ride on the 55.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: George on December 04, 2008, 03:55:20 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 01, 2008, 11:32:31 PM
Quote from: George on December 01, 2008, 10:44:43 PM
Can't wait to ride them!

(hey I asked...now I demand one on the 55!  ;D )

Why would you want a Gillig when you could have a New Flyer or Orion instead?
Trust me Oren, when you ride a New Flyer or Orion V on the 55 EVERY SINGLE DAY, it does get boring after a while. Plus, with the engines and speed the Gilligs have, it would be a really nice and quick ride on the 55.

Variety is nice, but Gillig builds crap.  Orion and New Flyer are far better bus manufacturers.

Tristan

To be honest with you, Gillig is back on the upswing.  They dipped in the early early 90s to crap level (WMATA's), 93-94 seemed to be good years, 95-98 they crapped out again, but I think they've gone up and have stayed up since then...and I think the Advantage is built better than the Phantom, or maybe it's just a stronger design.

Of course, I still would like to see the oldest of the "new generation" Gilligs (let's say for DASH 2007 and for Ride On 2006) hit 5 years old and see if they're still holding up -- that has always been the magic number at which their buses just started to fall apart.

Tritransit Area

Is the 55 still running with exclusively 40 ft buses?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Tristan on December 04, 2008, 06:15:35 PM
To be honest with you, Gillig is back on the upswing.  They dipped in the early early 90s to crap level (WMATA's), 93-94 seemed to be good years, 95-98 they crapped out again, but I think they've gone up and have stayed up since then...and I think the Advantage is built better than the Phantom, or maybe it's just a stronger design.

Of course, I still would like to see the oldest of the "new generation" Gilligs (let's say for DASH 2007 and for Ride On 2006) hit 5 years old and see if they're still holding up -- that has always been the magic number at which their buses just started to fall apart.

TCAT's first and Ride On's first hybrids were part of the same NYS Consortium order and I'm not impressed by either, nor am I impressed by any of the other Gilligs running around up here.  Haven't been on the latest RO Gilligs though.  The Gilligs have the worst wide quality and are the most uncomfortable of any full size TCAT bus in my opinion, and they aren't the favorite buses of the TCAT staff either.

NewFlyer9736BCT

#37
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 04, 2008, 08:48:54 PM
Quote from: Tristan on December 04, 2008, 06:15:35 PM
To be honest with you, Gillig is back on the upswing.  They dipped in the early early 90s to crap level (WMATA's), 93-94 seemed to be good years, 95-98 they crapped out again, but I think they've gone up and have stayed up since then...and I think the Advantage is built better than the Phantom, or maybe it's just a stronger design.

Of course, I still would like to see the oldest of the "new generation" Gilligs (let's say for DASH 2007 and for Ride On 2006) hit 5 years old and see if they're still holding up -- that has always been the magic number at which their buses just started to fall apart.

TCAT's first and Ride On's first hybrids were part of the same NYS Consortium order and I'm not impressed by either, nor am I impressed by any of the other Gilligs running around up here.  Haven't been on the latest RO Gilligs though.  The Gilligs have the worst wide quality and are the most uncomfortable of any full size TCAT bus in my opinion, and they aren't the favorite buses of the TCAT staff either.
Well, the new Gilligs that Ride-On have are much better than the hybrids (according to Ken - personally I think they are both the same, but nice)
I do agree with Ken that they run much faster and smoother and even the '06 Hybrids still have that new bus feel.

Some TA's might have crappy Gillig Advantages, it tends to happen but it's true. I guess it's the same case with TCAT.

But South Florida, for example, has been ordering Gillig Advantages since '99 and have been running strong up till today (only till '03 for BCT since they switched to NABI). Sure, some of the older Gilligs may be dirty and used-up, but they still run strong.

BCT had '96 Phantoms and '97 New Flyer D40LFs, and which ones are still in service? The Phantoms, oddly enough (even surprised me). The Phantoms, unlike the D40LFs, are high-floor, older, and have no other differences with the D40LFs, but they still for some reason chose to retire the D40LFs instead. If they really made a decision like that, then you can't really say that Gillig has crappy buses.
Although, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if you think they are crappy buses, then that's your opinion and I can't change that.

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 04, 2008, 06:37:11 PM
Is the 55 still running with exclusively 40 ft buses?

Yes, and it will always be like that.
However, sometimes you will find a 35' bus on the 55, even during peak hours. It tends to happen sometimes. Like yesterday, when I rode 5551 on the 55 southbound. That's why I posted this sighting as significant.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMATAGMOAGH

QuoteBut South Florida, for example, has been ordering Gillig Advantages since '99 and have been running strong up till today (only till '03 for BCT since they switched to NABI). Sure, some of the older Gilligs may be dirty and used-up, but they still run strong.

BCT had '96 Phantoms and '97 New Flyer D40LFs, and which ones are still in service? The Phantoms, oddly enough (even surprised me). The Phantoms, unlike the D40LFs, are high-floor, older, and have no other differences with the D40LFs, but they still for some reason chose to retire the D40LFs instead. If they really made a decision like that, then you can't really say that Gillig has crappy buses.
Although, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if you think they are crappy buses, then that's your opinion and I can't change that.

Reasons I can think of that they could have retired the D40LFs before the Gilligs:

1.  The New Flyers had more miles
2.  Fleet standardization

Gilligs tend to be less expensive than New Flyer or Orion, which is why many small or medium sized TAs are ordering them.  However, you get what you pay for, and Gillig never bids for large TAs because their buses won't hold up in a city like New York.

RailBus63

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 04, 2008, 08:48:54 PM
TCAT's first and Ride On's first hybrids were part of the same NYS Consortium order and I'm not impressed by either, nor am I impressed by any of the other Gilligs running around up here.  Haven't been on the latest RO Gilligs though.  The Gilligs have the worst wide quality and are the most uncomfortable of any full size TCAT bus in my opinion, and they aren't the favorite buses of the TCAT staff either.

Centro's Gillig hybrids were part of the same consortium order (Centro was the lead agency) and they seem to be doing well.  I've ridden on a few of the Gilligs recently and the ride quality didn't seem noticeably worse than a D40LF or Orion V.

By comparison, the Phantoms seem to be hit or miss.  I rode on a Phantom suburban in Norfolk VA last summer and it rode great.  On the other hand, one of the worst bus rides I've had in recent years was on an Avis Phantom at the Detroit airport – every bump was a teeth-jarring experience.

WayneNYC

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 04, 2008, 06:37:11 PM
Is the 55 still running with exclusively 40 ft buses?

It seems to be more of a weekday thing.  On weekends you'll plenty of the shorter stuff on the 55.  Sunday on Gaithersburg routes you won't find many 40 footers at all.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on December 05, 2008, 07:14:42 AM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 04, 2008, 08:48:54 PM
Quote from: Tristan on December 04, 2008, 06:15:35 PM
To be honest with you, Gillig is back on the upswing.  They dipped in the early early 90s to crap level (WMATA's), 93-94 seemed to be good years, 95-98 they crapped out again, but I think they've gone up and have stayed up since then...and I think the Advantage is built better than the Phantom, or maybe it's just a stronger design.

Of course, I still would like to see the oldest of the "new generation" Gilligs (let's say for DASH 2007 and for Ride On 2006) hit 5 years old and see if they're still holding up -- that has always been the magic number at which their buses just started to fall apart.

TCAT's first and Ride On's first hybrids were part of the same NYS Consortium order and I'm not impressed by either, nor am I impressed by any of the other Gilligs running around up here.  Haven't been on the latest RO Gilligs though.  The Gilligs have the worst wide quality and are the most uncomfortable of any full size TCAT bus in my opinion, and they aren't the favorite buses of the TCAT staff either.
Well, the new Gilligs that Ride-On have are much better than the hybrids (according to Ken - personally I think they are both the same, but nice)
I do agree with Ken that they run much faster and smoother and even the '06 Hybrids still have that new bus feel.

Some TA's might have crappy Gillig Advantages, it tends to happen but it's true. I guess it's the same cast with TCAT.

But South Florida, for example, has been ordering Gillig Advantages since '99 and have been running strong up till today (only till '03 for BCT since they switched to NABI). Sure, some of the older Gilligs may be dirty and used-up, but they still run strong.

BCT had '96 Phantoms and '97 New Flyer D40LFs, and which ones are still in service? The Phantoms, oddly enough (even surprised me). The Phantoms, unlike the D40LFs, are high-floor, older, and have no other differences with the D40LFs, but they still for some reason chose to retire the D40LFs instead. If they really made a decision like that, then you can't really say that Gillig has crappy buses.
Although, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so if you think they are crappy buses, then that's your opinion and I can't change that.

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 04, 2008, 06:37:11 PM
Is the 55 still running with exclusively 40 ft buses?

Yes, and it will always be like that.
However, sometimes you will find a 35' bus on the 55, even during peak hours. It tends to happen sometimes. Like yesterday, when I rode 5551 on the 55 southbound. That's why I posted this sighting as significant.

I agree with you. The Hybrids are hella ugly. Do Ride On's Gillig Advantages have sound?
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tritransit Area

Well, they have the typical ISL/B400 sound...much to my disappointment.  I have yet to actually ride one, but from the outside they do seem to be quieter than the average standard diesel bus.

Am I the only one to notice this?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 17, 2008, 12:20:19 AM
Well, they have the typical ISL/B400 sound...much to my disappointment.  I have yet to actually ride one, but from the outside they do seem to be quieter than the average standard diesel bus.

Am I the only one to notice this?

I've noticed this as well. Even for the hybrids although they are a bit loud on the inside, the insulation probably blocks most of the sound.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

aznboy4305

Who said Gillig built crap buses? They may have taken a huge dip in the mid-90s, just as Flxible did during the early 90s, but they make some decent buses nowadays. Every generation of Gillig Advantages are still holding up good up to this day, and yes but sadly they are built better than the Orion VIIs. The Phantoms vary depending on when they were built, Ride On has 1995-1997 Phantoms that are ready to collapse while CityBus is still operating 1983 Phantoms that are running stronger and more solid than brand new Orions.