News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Favorite WMATA Railcar

Started by orionvii2680, December 12, 2008, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

orionvii2680

Whats your favorite WMATA rail car?



Mines is the 5000 series caf rail car.
Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

Antozilla

The 1000 series, more seats.

LandoverDivision

The Original Breda and the Alstoms. The Breda because of that classic "buzz" and the Alstoms because of weird shaped windows and they just look cool. I like the CAFs because of their sound.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

coneyraven

For me, it's the original Rohr cars.....there was a certain sound to them that is unmatched --
Red Line train to Rhode Island Avenue -- Doors Closing
Blue Line train to Stadium-Armory -- Doors Closing
Orange Line train to Ballston -- Doors Closing

Next station -- Nicholson Lane -- Doors open on the left

NewFlyer9736BCT

The New Alstroms.

Plenty of room, and has that new train feel to it.

I also like all the Bredas (rehabbed and non-rehabbed).
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

C40LF_2464

The CAF cars

I like there swagger 

aznboy4305

I would have to say the CAFs

WMATAGMOAGH

1000 Series, then the original 3000 Series. 

Why is everyone here so in love with the CAFs?  I personally think they are the worst trains Metro has: poorly built and very unreliable.  If you want to see and ride good CAF equipment, the place to be is Madrid (which has my favorite CAFs, the Type 8000s) or Barcelona.  And I'm also a fan of the CAF MA300 Stock in Rome.

79MetroExtraMD

3000 Series Bredas. Their motors remind me of the ones MTA's Budds have. I also like the 1000 Series. I like the 2000 Series and 6000 series because I like the Alstom motors they have. 5000 Series = Crap.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WMAveteran

Quote from: orionvii271 on December 12, 2008, 11:02:33 AM
Whats your favorite WMATA rail car?



Mines is the 5000 series caf rail car.

Any car that gets me to my destination without a mechanical breakdown!

Annex4421

The CAFs, Alstoms and Orioginal Bredas (3000) series



Tritransit Area

I'm surprised that the CAFs have so many fans as well.  My favorite car class is the Breda group, particularly the 3000 series before rehab.  However, I do enjoy the Bredas post rehab as well!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Tristan

Funny - thinking about sound, I like all of our railcars for different reasons.  In terms of reliability though, give me a rehab...and if you're out of those, I'll take an Alstom if I have to (has anyone been on a WARM Alstom car?  They all feel very cold to me).  I'm okay with the 4000-series but the plastic windows on so many of them are so f---ed up that you can't see anything.

Antozilla

I am definitely against whaterer cars have the hang down straps in the middle of the aisle so you hit your head on them.  Not the smartest Metro decision.

Scrabbleship

#14
1: Alstoms. They still feel and look new.
2: 4000's and pre-rehab Bredas. The sounds and the leather covered seat handles (though now worn) set them apart.
3: Post-rehab Bredas and CAF. The CAF's set a new design standard and the Bredas post-rehab aren't that bad.
4: Rohr's. Between how they used to rule the Red Line and how they've become pariahs post crash... Somehow whole bunches of cars that are older don't seem as old as the Rohrs.