News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Orion Vi

Started by Antozilla, December 08, 2008, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Antozilla

We have all expressed our undying love for the Orion 6.  Does Orion still make these and could Metro order more if they wanted em?

LandoverDivision

Orion discontinued the manufactoring of these unfortunately.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

The VII basically replaced the VI.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: Tristan on December 08, 2008, 07:40:20 PM
The VII basically replaced the VI.

They stopped making the VII too. They are only making the Vs and the VII NGs.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Antozilla

What is NG???

CNG???

Will we see an Orion VIII anytime soon

LandoverDivision

Quote from: Antozilla on December 09, 2008, 10:03:57 AM
What is NG???

CNG???

Will we see an Orion VIII anytime soon

NG = Next Generation.

Basically a restyled Orion VII kinda. Why they discontinued to manufactoring the VIs and the VIIs still questions me.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

LandoverDivision

Quote from: Antozilla on December 09, 2008, 10:08:26 AM
Thanks Landover!

No prob Bob. Joke. Anyways correction, they discontinued the V :(
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

Lack of high floor demand from any system other than Alexandria Transit Company probably...

Tritransit Area

Quote from: landoverdivision on December 09, 2008, 10:06:05 AM
Quote from: Antozilla on December 09, 2008, 10:03:57 AM
What is NG???

CNG???

Will we see an Orion VIII anytime soon

NG = Next Generation.

Basically a restyled Orion VII kinda. Why they discontinued to manufactoring the VIs and the VIIs still questions me.

The VIs weren't very well liked by agencies.  The interior layout is very odd in bus scheme of things, and it also carried fewer riders than other products out there.  Side mounted engines sure aren't popular in this hemisphere.

Now, the sad thing with Orion (well, Daimler Buses North America) is that this NG model is a fixed bus.  You can't get a standard VII anymore, which is way different from what Gillig and New Flyer did very successfully.  If you have a bland TA like SEPTA or CTA, you can order old school Gillig Low Floors and D40LFs instead of the new fangled redesigned/BRT models.

In regards to the Orion VIII, it will allegedly be an artic model based off of the Mercedes Citaro.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Perry

I heard the same thing about the Orion VIII.  I think that was their way around the Buy America thing too. 

I really liked the Orion VI.  Nothing beats that 'club seating' arrangement we had when the DC crew rode it on the 38B a few years ago. :-)

The first time I did see it in WMATA colors, however, was a little strange.  It kind of looked stumpy, with the lower profile wheels and such, but boy could those puppies roll.  A good operator on the 38B could get some good speed on the Key Bridge.

Tristan

That was a fond memory :-)

I was really impressed when I first saw one, though I thought too that they looked kind of goofy.  I eventually got used to it as I came to realize how competent they were - speed, sound, comfort (yes the rear area is an annoyance, I admit).  It has its disadvantages but a lot of that is from WMATA spec - Pace's VIIs don't have club seating and WMATA's have some "excessive" modesty panels in the rear that make you feel more boxed in than you actually are.

And they were "new" for 3 years.

djsiknik

Ride on's VI was my favorite to drive ask anyone in the "OG" DCatz crew i took 5802 out as much as i can if not a Flx. I miss driving 5802. I would have moved to Silver Spring when they retired 5802, but i had a better job waiting for me....and than another....and now im at another but thats a whole differant post! ;)
R.I.P Ride-on 5802

Antozilla

What is wrong with the VI.  Sure it looks like a shoe box but its cute!

orionvii2680

The seating is horable.It gets to crowded quick.It looks like a brick with wheels and doors.
Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: djsiknik on December 10, 2008, 10:47:52 PM
Ride on's VI was my favorite to drive ask anyone in the "OG" DCatz crew i took 5802 out as much as i can if not a Flx. I miss driving 5802. I would have moved to Silver Spring when they retired 5802, but i had a better job waiting for me....and than another....and now im at another but thats a whole differant post! ;)

The VIs are awesome, but Ride On's Orion VI were a bigger flop than Bush. Come on, a door all the way in the back and a LCD that also had French? At least if Ride On were going to borrow some VIs, borrow them from America not Canada.
The REAL Landover Division fan!