News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Orion Vi

Started by Antozilla, December 08, 2008, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: landoverdivision on December 12, 2008, 09:48:04 AM
Quote from: djsiknik on December 10, 2008, 10:47:52 PM
Ride on's VI was my favorite to drive ask anyone in the "OG" DCatz crew i took 5802 out as much as i can if not a Flx. I miss driving 5802. I would have moved to Silver Spring when they retired 5802, but i had a better job waiting for me....and than another....and now im at another but thats a whole differant post! ;)

The VIs are awesome, but Ride On's Orion VI were a bigger flop than Bush. Come on, a door all the way in the back and a LCD that also had French? At least if Ride On were going to borrow some VIs, borrow them from America not Canada.

Only the stop requested sign and emergency window instructions were bilingual, and only because the bus had been in Quebec.  Every other bus I've been on in Canada outside of Quebec has been English only.  At the end of the day, a bus is a bus, does it really matter if Ride On got one secondhand from Quebec as opposed to an English speaking Canadian province or the US?

LandoverDivision

Uhh yeah. The language here is called English. And we're not in Canada so we don't need a door all the way in the back.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: landoverdivision on December 12, 2008, 11:02:54 AM
Uhh yeah. The language here is called English. And we're not in Canada so we don't need a door all the way in the back.

Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories.  Only in one of those provinces (Quebec) is French the only official language.  Only one province (New Brunswick) has made both English and French the official language.  The remaining provinces and territories have no official language, though English is the de facto official language.  That said, while practically every sign in Montreal is in French, everyone can speak English and will do so if you say Parle vous Englais or Je parl Englais (and I'm sure I badly misspelled both of those phrases, as if anyone needed more evidence I don't speak French).  The Ride On Orion VIs originally operated for an agency in Quebec (I forget which one) so the stop requested signs are bilingual, as are the emergency instructions (required by law to be bilingual).  Is it really worth spending money to change them?  I honestly doubt most people even notice or care that the stop requested sign is in French.

I guess we should stop ordering buses from Orion and New Flyer if we don't like Canadian products.  And you might as well stop going to the movies.  If you try removing all things Canadian from your life, you are going to find things will get pretty difficult pretty quickly.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on December 12, 2008, 11:49:27 AM
Quote from: landoverdivision on December 12, 2008, 11:02:54 AM
Uhh yeah. The language here is called English. And we're not in Canada so we don't need a door all the way in the back.

Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories.  Only in one of those provinces (Quebec) is French the only official language.  Only one province (New Brunswick) has made both English and French the official language.  The remaining provinces and territories have no official language, though English is the de facto official language.  That said, while practically every sign in Montreal is in French, everyone can speak English and will do so if you say Parle vous Englais or Je parl Englais (and I'm sure I badly misspelled both of those phrases, as if anyone needed more evidence I don't speak French).  The Ride On Orion VIs originally operated for an agency in Quebec (I forget which one) so the stop requested signs are bilingual, as are the emergency instructions (required by law to be bilingual).  Is it really worth spending money to change them?  I honestly doubt most people even notice or care that the stop requested sign is in French.

I guess we should stop ordering buses from Orion and New Flyer if we don't like Canadian products.  And you might as well stop going to the movies.  If you try removing all things Canadian from your life, you are going to find things will get pretty difficult pretty quickly.

Well put. We can change some things from Canada to make them look American. But they will still be Canadian. Hey, they're our brother up North. I don't dislike Canadian things, we just do things a little different down here. Most people here don't speak French that's why I said that. I don't care about the door in the back, but I find it pointless.
The REAL Landover Division fan!