News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Favorite destination voice?

Started by C40LF_2464, November 12, 2008, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NewFlyer9736BCT

I know these aren't destinations but these did make me laugh while they lasted. (Ride-On route 54)

Approaching...W. Montgomery Avenue and HURLEY AVENUE!!! (pretty much shouting)

Approaching...Research Blvd and Shady Grove Rd (Shady Grove Rd being pronounced in a very happy and joyful voice)

Approaching...W. Montgomery Avenue and...


...Aberdeen Road (completely different voice)

I hate to say that Ride-On replaced those sounds, along with many others...

As for other TA's, the voices of BCT make me laugh as well...especially the routes where the announcements are in English/French instead of English/Spanish. idk...the lady's voice in French sounds funny at times. Also, the way the lady says "Stop Requested" makes me chuckle a bit.

My cousin rode Miami-Dade's buses (I have pics but never rode them) and heard that the stop announcer's voice was funny.

Favorite WMATA DESTINATION voices:
Pentagon
Stadium-Armory
Farragut Square

and maybe more but I can't remember now.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: rideonrulez on November 13, 2008, 09:16:09 AM
My favorite for rail goes to NYCTA's subway (male voice) "stand clear of the closing doors please". Even my 7 year old nephew loves it.


Fun fact of the day:  The person who made that recording is Charlie Pellet, a reporter for Bloomberg who can occasionally be heard on WTOP Radio.  You wouldn't know it from listening to him, but he is British.


79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on November 13, 2008, 01:32:32 PM
Fun fact of the day:  The person who made that recording is Charlie Pellet, a reporter for Bloomberg who can occasionally be heard on WTOP Radio.  You wouldn't know it from listening to him, but he is British.

Wow. That is interesting. I was wondering who did the voices for NYCTA. I remember seeing the names a while ago, but forgot who they were. I wonder who does the voice for the Metrobus CDS.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WES

I like the guy on the NYCTA subway, like Chris, that says "STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING DOORS" .  He just sounds very happy.

On the other hand I think it was PACE that had the woman that sounded depressed when announcing some of the stops, then would perk up right after.  I thought it was just funny.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on November 13, 2008, 02:04:35 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on November 13, 2008, 01:32:32 PM
Fun fact of the day:  The person who made that recording is Charlie Pellet, a reporter for Bloomberg who can occasionally be heard on WTOP Radio.  You wouldn't know it from listening to him, but he is British.

Wow. That is interesting. I was wondering who did the voices for NYCTA. I remember seeing the names a while ago, but forgot who they were. I wonder who does the voice for the Metrobus CDS.

From nycsubway.org:

Always wanted to know whose voices are doing the automated annoucements in the subway cars? The four different voices are all personalities on Bloomberg radio. (Which surely had nothing to do with the new Mayor; the voices were recorded long prior to the 2001 election.) Who says what? Charlie Pellett ("stand clear of the closing doors, please"), Melissa Kleiner (station announcements on #5 trains), Dianne Thompson (station announcements on #2 trains), and Jessica Ettinger (station announcements on #6 trains).

They were all Bloomberg reporters at the time the announcements were recorded.  Jessica Ettinger now works for 1010 WINS and goes by a slightly different name.  She and I also share the same alma mater.  (Thanks Google). 

Melissa Kleiner's announcements have mostly been replaced by new ones by Ettinger.

Some interesting reading:  http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B07E5DA1F38F93BA25752C0A9649C8B63&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/S/Subways 

I can't find the names of the voices for the lines where the R143, R160A, and R160B lines operate though.

OrionFlyer

I've never been on Ride On so heres my question- Does Ride On use the clever device system like WMATA?

Also does NYC MTA use clever devices?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Tristan

NY MTA's trains don't use Clevers - Clevers are GPS-based.  GPS doesn't work underground because it needs to interact with satellites.  They probably don't use an out-the-box system.

Ride On's annunciator is supplied by Orbital - same as SEPTA - with in-house voices.

OrionFlyer

#22
Quote from: Tristan on November 13, 2008, 06:30:24 PM
NY MTA's trains don't use Clevers - Clevers are GPS-based.  GPS doesn't work underground because it needs to interact with satellites.  They probably don't use an out-the-box system.

Ride On's annunciator is supplied by Orbital - same as SEPTA - with in-house voices.

I was talking about NY MTA's Buses not trains. I know how the CD's work.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WMATAGMOAGH

NYCTA buses do not have automated announcements.

OrionFlyer

That's a shock. Out of all Transit Systems I thought New York's buses would have some sort of automated announcements.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Tristan

They tested a CDS or something else at some point, not sure how far it went.  Realize that adding such equipment to all buses would cost millions.

WMATAGMOAGH


79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tristan on November 13, 2008, 09:37:52 PM
They tested a CDS or something else at some point, not sure how far it went.  Realize that adding such equipment to all buses would cost millions.

With the budget they have, can't they afford something. Also, aren't there a few buses that have Siemens systems. I can imagine trying to input BxM4C into the CDS.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tristan

The budget they have that has a $1.2 BILLION dollar DEFICIT?  Yea lots of room for a multi-million dollar experiment there...

79MetroExtraMD

#29
Quote from: Tristan on November 13, 2008, 11:26:53 PM
The budget they have that has a $1.2 BILLION dollar DEFICIT?  Yea lots of room for a multi-million dollar experiment there...

Damn. Time to move to Europe.

My favorite
Metrobus
ANNANDALE
PENTAGON
GRNBELT CTR
WHITE FLINT STATION


Ride On
Langley Park
Friendship Heights
Silver Spring
Rockville

"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06