News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Favorite destination voice?

Started by C40LF_2464, November 12, 2008, 06:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

C40LF_2464

it couuld be from any transit system in the US or world

Mine is Route 48            Rockvillle from Ride-on and Route F4 Destanation New Carrollton station from WMATA i also like the SEPTA ones

LandoverDivision

I like the T18 New Carrollton Station, All Pentagon ones, Archives, and Silver Spring Station ones.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

I...don't understand what this thread is asking...

C40LF_2464

#3
For example like when the doors of a bus opens it will say something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEWp1vbbKwQ

or this Ride-On one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D0sqBFriSg

and this is MTA Marylands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1diNadO69c&feature=related

and alot of other transit companys around the US does this

Tristan

I figured that, but the voice is the same for just about every announcement for each system...so how does the T18 sound better than the 38B when it's the same person speaking?  Do you mean the...phonetics and nuances of the announcer's voice or something?

C40LF_2464

Maybe like the way she say it like the Ride-On voices sound a lil humerous and some companies have a man voice

LandoverDivision

We know it's the same person, but the way she says it is different. But Tristan, you ruining the fun -_-
The REAL Landover Division fan!

WMATAGMOAGH

You could just talk about which systems automated announcements you like and don't like.

I like the automated announcements on board the CTA in Chicago.  I think the same voice is used for both the trains and CleverDevices on the buses, the person who recorded them is a voiceover artist from Milwaukee who never rode the CTA until several years after his announcements started playing.

My least favorite automated announcements are those on the subways in Madrid (Barcelona does similar), where they have both male and female voices in the same sentences, as follows:

Male voice:  Proxima estacion:
Female voice:  ...Sol.
Male voice:  Correspondencias con:
Female voice: ...lineas uno y tres.

Translation to English:
Male voice:  Next station:
Female voice:  ...Sol.
Male voice:  Transfer for:
Female voice: ...Lines 1 and 3.

Male voice:  Proxima estacion:
Female voice:  ...Sevilla.

Translation to English:
Male voice:  Next station:
Female voice:  ...Sevilla.

The ones in Barcelona were similar, but they were made in Catalan as opposed to Spanish, and while I understand Catalan because it is very similar to Spanish, I couldn't tell you what was announced.

OrionFlyer

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

rideonrulez

My favorite for rail goes to NYCTA's subway (male voice) "stand clear of the closing doors please". Even my 7 year old nephew loves it.

My favorite for buses go to WMATA.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

LandoverDivision

Quote from: rideonrulez on November 13, 2008, 09:16:09 AM
My favorite for rail goes to NYCTA's subway (male voice) "stand clear of the closing doors please". Even my 7 year old nephew loves it.

My favorite for buses go to WMATA.

I love NYC's rail voice. I also love WMATA's. I like Portland's bus voices as well.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Perry

We need to get our recordings at RTC re-done.  It's a patchwork of a professional voice and one of our employees.  You'll here "transfer to route" in one voice, then "119" with another.  It's kind of funny.  We're going to probably put out for bid to have the whole system re-done by a professional voice-over person at some point in the near future.  There are errors too that we've heard where she pronounced some things incorrectly and what have you. 

Tristan

Quote from: landoverdivision on November 12, 2008, 08:21:59 PM
We know it's the same person, but the way she says it is different. But Tristan, you ruining the fun -_-

Not trying to rain on the parade, I just ... didn't get it.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: Tristan on November 13, 2008, 11:09:59 AM
Quote from: landoverdivision on November 12, 2008, 08:21:59 PM
We know it's the same person, but the way she says it is different. But Tristan, you ruining the fun -_-

Not trying to rain on the parade, I just ... didn't get it.

Well know you know. :)
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

To answer the question, I like kinda like SEPTA's...my audio rec of 5385 has it pretty clear:

"Welcome to route..30, SERVICE TO Frankford Terminal"