News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

NABI 60-BRT Debut

Started by LandoverDivision, October 27, 2008, 01:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on November 02, 2008, 12:23:56 AM
Quote from: WES on November 01, 2008, 11:07:35 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on November 01, 2008, 12:15:49 PM
One time when I was at Rhode Island Ave Station, I think it was sometime last year when the route was still 84, 85, there was a C40lf on the 84. It was parked right in front of me at the 81,82, 83, 84, 85, 86 stop at R I Ave Station. I was waiting for the 83. A  Bladensburg bus was the 84  route.

So my question is did Bladensburg used to do this route because I'm convinced that it did?

Before Landover opened the 84 used to be operated by Bladensburg so was the F2, the F4,6 was operated by Montgomery during the week and Bladensburg on weekends.  But when Landover opened, those aforementioned routes went to Landover.  If you saw a C40LF on the 84 it could have been a bus to cover for a broken down bus from Landover.  The main difference between a bus loaned from one garage to cover for another and a route that is mainly run by one garage that another garage covers is the run number.  Even if say a Bladensburg bus covers a Landover route, it will still have the "L" as the first run number, because it is still a Landover route, it is just that the bus from Landover that ran that route either broke down or Landover was short a bus so they had to get any bus that could cover that run till they could get a Landover bus to take over.

If that doesn't explain that I know someone else can explain it better than I could.

How is this for an example (Bladensburg bus on a Northern route with a Northern block)?



Why is there a Bladensburg bus on a Nothern route  with an N block? That confused the heck out of me.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

Substitute bus - Northern probably ran short on equipment.  The run doesn't change just because Northern has to borrow a bus from another division.

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Tristan on November 03, 2008, 11:11:04 AM
Substitute bus - Northern probably ran short on equipment.  The run doesn't change just because Northern has to borrow a bus from another division.

No idea why it was there.  But IIRC, that bus was at Tenleytown on the Hs earlier that morning.

OrionFlyer

Rode one of the Brts today. They're sweet. They sound similar to the C40lfs. Still got the new car smell.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

LandoverDivision

They don't soun like the C40LFs.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

Opinion is opinion I guess, but I gotta side with Brandon.  As much of an audiophile as I am when it comes to buses (http://transit.tecsbrain.org/recs), I can't say it reminds me of a C40LF at all.

OrionFlyer

#81
To me it sounds like it a little bit, but a faster. When I first heard it that's what I thought of.  All I know is they sound like another CNG bus I heard before. I immediately thought the New Flyer C40lf, not the lfr the lf.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

LandoverDivision

I can't believe the 60-BRTs are still on the U8.

Did anyone see these on the 5A yet?
The REAL Landover Division fan!

rideonrulez

Quote from: landoverdivision on November 04, 2008, 09:07:25 PM
I can't believe the 60-BRTs are still on the U8.

Did anyone see these on the 5A yet?


I saw one passing by above the bus terminal at East Falls Church this evening (11/4/08). But the other 2 blocks I saw at Rosslyn were 2706 & 2709.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

WMAveteran

Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 29, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
George: thank you for the comment.  Based on your description you must live in the Washingtonian/Rio community because that is the only location where the #54 and #74 meet.  I live off Muddy Branch Road near Diamondback (where the #54, #76 & #67 converge).  We are neighbors.  I plan to ride the 5A next week myself - let me know if you want company.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking where u lived. I wish the 67 and 76 also came around here, sometimes I want to go to Kentlands or to friends who live in Dufief Mill. EDIT-wait the 74 does to to Kentlands too, but not through Kentlands Blvd.

Im gonna go to Rosslyn on Nov. 4th (after my English class and after voting)
Yes,  I am not pleased with the schedules for the 74, 76 and the 67 however.  The 74 does not run on weekends and the 67 is rush hour only.  Furthermore the 76 and the 67 leave and arrive at Shady Grove at almost exactly the same time.  Many of the passengers on the 76 and the 67 ride between Shady Grove and Muddy Branch & Diamondback so of they miss a bus they have to wait 30 minutes for the next run.  If the departure and arrival times for the 76 & 67 were changed so they didn't leave and arrive at the same time there would be better service.  Also the 54 which serves Westside Gaithersburg does not serve tne nearest METRO station at Shady Grove but forces the passengers to ride all the way to Rockville to catch the train.

WayneNYC

Quote from: Perry on November 01, 2008, 06:26:12 PM
NYC has or had a couple of unions too.  These operators take being in a union very seriously.  It complicates operations, but in the end, this is what was decided.

Yup - And NYCTA not only has TWU and ATU... They also have three locals within those.  It's really mixed up and it gets even more complicated with all of the other agencies under the MTA umbrella.  Even when the TA/OA, MTA Bus and LI Bus officially merge, these various unions will likely still be in place.  My understanding is that the TA can move bus routes from one area (union) to another, but they must replace the "lost work" with some other work.  The TA now has a lot of split routes and one which makes sense given the location of depots I was suprised that it happen given a bunch of differences.  This is the route Q32.  Historically this was a Manhattan division OA route (It used to be M32).  The Q32 is now split between Quill depot and Stengel depot.  The differences:  Quill is OA, Stengel is TA, Quill is Manhattan division, Stengel is Queens Division, Quill is TWU and Stengel is ATU yet the split this route.  Most other TA/OA split routes are within the same borough/bus division (and union). 

Confuses me too.   

WayneNYC

Quote from: WMAveteran on November 05, 2008, 12:41:23 AM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 29, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
George: thank you for the comment.  Based on your description you must live in the Washingtonian/Rio community because that is the only location where the #54 and #74 meet.  I live off Muddy Branch Road near Diamondback (where the #54, #76 & #67 converge).  We are neighbors.  I plan to ride the 5A next week myself - let me know if you want company.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking where u lived. I wish the 67 and 76 also came around here, sometimes I want to go to Kentlands or to friends who live in Dufief Mill. EDIT-wait the 74 does to to Kentlands too, but not through Kentlands Blvd.

Im gonna go to Rosslyn on Nov. 4th (after my English class and after voting)
Yes,  I am not pleased with the schedules for the 74, 76 and the 67 however.  The 74 does not run on weekends and the 67 is rush hour only.  Furthermore the 76 and the 67 leave and arrive at Shady Grove at almost exactly the same time.  Many of the passengers on the 76 and the 67 ride between Shady Grove and Muddy Branch & Diamondback so of they miss a bus they have to wait 30 minutes for the next run.  If the departure and arrival times for the 76 & 67 were changed so they didn't leave and arrive at the same time there would be better service.  Also the 54 which serves Westside Gaithersburg does not serve tne nearest METRO station at Shady Grove but forces the passengers to ride all the way to Rockville to catch the train.

I'm not far from you guys either.  I live in the new development just east of Lakeforest.  It's at the end of Odendhal near Summit Ave

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: WayneNYC on November 05, 2008, 12:50:29 AM
Quote from: WMAveteran on November 05, 2008, 12:41:23 AM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 29, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
George: thank you for the comment.  Based on your description you must live in the Washingtonian/Rio community because that is the only location where the #54 and #74 meet.  I live off Muddy Branch Road near Diamondback (where the #54, #76 & #67 converge).  We are neighbors.  I plan to ride the 5A next week myself - let me know if you want company.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking where u lived. I wish the 67 and 76 also came around here, sometimes I want to go to Kentlands or to friends who live in Dufief Mill. EDIT-wait the 74 does to to Kentlands too, but not through Kentlands Blvd.

Im gonna go to Rosslyn on Nov. 4th (after my English class and after voting)
Yes,  I am not pleased with the schedules for the 74, 76 and the 67 however.  The 74 does not run on weekends and the 67 is rush hour only.  Furthermore the 76 and the 67 leave and arrive at Shady Grove at almost exactly the same time.  Many of the passengers on the 76 and the 67 ride between Shady Grove and Muddy Branch & Diamondback so of they miss a bus they have to wait 30 minutes for the next run.  If the departure and arrival times for the 76 & 67 were changed so they didn't leave and arrive at the same time there would be better service.  Also the 54 which serves Westside Gaithersburg does not serve tne nearest METRO station at Shady Grove but forces the passengers to ride all the way to Rockville to catch the train.

I'm not far from you guys either.  I live in the new development just east of Lakeforest.  It's at the end of Odendhal near Summit Ave

I thought you had moved to Gburg, why the Silver Spring polling place if you don't mind my asking?

WayneNYC

#88
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on November 05, 2008, 12:58:28 AM

I thought you had moved to Gburg, why the Silver Spring polling place if you don't mind my asking?

Oh - I kept forgetting to change my address with the Board of Elections.  Then when I realized it this time, I decided to leave it as is and vote in Silver Spring since I know they still had my info.  Now that the election is over we'll probably go on and change our address.

I also forgot to go out and find the newcomers (NABI 60-BRT).  I didn't really forget, but I had a very busy week on vacation, didn't really get much time to recuperate over the weekend and I had to be at work yesterday due to us putting a new server in production.  Hopefully I can do a little busfanning later this week or early next week. I'll probably go over to Rosslyn to find one since it's so close to the job.

OrionFlyer

I got a question: Why does Annex do some Landover routes?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.