News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

NABI 60-BRT Debut

Started by LandoverDivision, October 27, 2008, 01:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: landoverdivision on October 27, 2008, 10:54:04 PM
I'm trying to understand why Baltimore peeps like WMATA more than MTA Maryland. Just asking.

That's a no brainer. Just look at our fleet and the type of service we have.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

LandoverDivision

#16
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on October 27, 2008, 10:55:18 PM
Quote from: landoverdivision on October 27, 2008, 10:54:04 PM
I'm trying to understand why Baltimore peeps like WMATA more than MTA Maryland. Just asking.

That's a no brainer. Just look at our fleet and the type of service we have.

Wow LOL. My bad. Anyways, hopeully, someone is going to catch the BRTs in service tomorrow?
The REAL Landover Division fan!

WMAveteran

I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.

OrionFlyer

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.

Yep. People were impressed and people everywhere including other bus drivers were staring these things down. I left at 8:30am and came back home at about 12-1 something in the afternoon. These buses are awesome.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

btconet

The DC area does offer a lot more variety than Baltimore, but it's not ALWAYS better.  MTA is much easier to learn the routes, particularly for non transit-geeks. Sometimes, WMATA does the "three trips in peaks don't go around the block here, so we'll call it the £3" to absurdity.  Plus, we actually have true Owls out there on about a dozen lines.

But truth be told, DC's equipment is better taken care of, and their color scheme is more attractive. 

Still, it ain't perfect. Some of the headways leave a bit to be desired though - particularly nearly anything in PG County on weekends, and OTP is kinda sketchy even when service is scheduled to be heavy.


79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: btconet on October 28, 2008, 06:51:37 PM
The DC area does offer a lot more variety than Baltimore, but it's not ALWAYS better.  MTA is much easier to learn the routes, particularly for non transit-geeks. Sometimes, WMATA does the "three trips in peaks don't go around the block here, so we'll call it the £3" to absurdity.  Plus, we actually have true Owls out there on about a dozen lines.

But truth be told, DC's equipment is better taken care of, and their color scheme is more attractive. 

Still, it ain't perfect. Some of the headways leave a bit to be desired though - particularly nearly anything in PG County on weekends, and OTP is kinda sketchy even when service is scheduled to be heavy.



Of course MTA's routes are a bit easier to understand, the schedules can sometimes be hard to memorize if there isn't a set headway. The way I learned most of the schedules for Metro and Ride On was that I found there were alot of routes that had common headways during different periods of the day and I also used the block patterns to guide me to what time they arrive. Basically, I hardly need a schedule whenever I travel on Metrobus since I know the block numbers, headways, schedule patterns, etc.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

LandoverDivision

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on October 28, 2008, 07:42:52 PM
Quote from: btconet on October 28, 2008, 06:51:37 PM
The DC area does offer a lot more variety than Baltimore, but it's not ALWAYS better.  MTA is much easier to learn the routes, particularly for non transit-geeks. Sometimes, WMATA does the "three trips in peaks don't go around the block here, so we'll call it the £3" to absurdity.  Plus, we actually have true Owls out there on about a dozen lines.

But truth be told, DC's equipment is better taken care of, and their color scheme is more attractive. 

Still, it ain't perfect. Some of the headways leave a bit to be desired though - particularly nearly anything in PG County on weekends, and OTP is kinda sketchy even when service is scheduled to be heavy.



Of course MTA's routes are a bit easier to understand, the schedules can sometimes be hard to memorize if there isn't a set headway. The way I learned most of the schedules for Metro and Ride On was that I found there were alot of routes that had common headways during different periods of the day and I also used the block patterns to guide me to what time they arrive. Basically, I hardly need a schedule whenever I travel on Metrobus since I know the block numbers, headways, schedule patterns, etc.

No TA is perfect. Every transit system has a down side to it, but let's focus on the ups rather than the downs.  ;D
The REAL Landover Division fan!

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMAveteran

Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
George: thank you for the comment.  Based on your description you must live in the Washingtonian/Rio community because that is the only location where the #54 and #74 meet.  I live off Muddy Branch Road near Diamondback (where the #54, #76 & #67 converge).  We are neighbors.  I plan to ride the 5A next week myself - let me know if you want company.

Tristan

I'll be taking the 5A out and the Washington Flyer back in next week at some point.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: Tristan on October 29, 2008, 06:24:29 PM
I'll be taking the 5A out and the Washington Flyer back in next week at some point.

I'm getting on the 5A next week to catch some more BRT buses hopefully.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

NewFlyer9736BCT

#27
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 29, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
George: thank you for the comment.  Based on your description you must live in the Washingtonian/Rio community because that is the only location where the #54 and #74 meet.  I live off Muddy Branch Road near Diamondback (where the #54, #76 & #67 converge).  We are neighbors.  I plan to ride the 5A next week myself - let me know if you want company.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking where u lived. I wish the 67 and 76 also came around here, sometimes I want to go to Kentlands or to friends who live in Dufief Mill. EDIT-wait the 74 does to to Kentlands too, but not through Kentlands Blvd.

Im gonna go to Rosslyn on Nov. 4th (after my English class and after voting)
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

LandoverDivision

Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 29, 2008, 03:53:43 PM
Quote from: George on October 29, 2008, 01:35:32 PM
Quote from: WMAveteran on October 28, 2008, 02:19:55 AM
I rode one of the NABIs (#5406) in service on the "U8" on Monday 11/27/2008 between the Capitol Heights station and the Minnesota Avenue Station.  I live in Gaithersburg so I made a transit outing from my home using RIDE ON route#76 (#5501A - an 18 year old Orion that looked like it just came off the new bus showroom floor - it was immaculate!) to Shady Grove and the Red Line to the Blue Line to Capitol Heights.
At that time of day the "U8" runs every 13 minutes.  I just missed the noon run at Capitol Heights but the 12:13pm NABI was precisely on time.  There were only about 10 people on the bus at Capitol Heights but it turned heads everywhere; all the passengers were smiling and pedestrians just stopped to look.  One person was taking pictures with his cell phone.  The ride was silky smooth except for the seats directly behind the articulation joint that had an annoying vibration.  The transmission had a torque converter but the shifts between gears were so smooth it almost felt like a CVT.  Amazing acceleration for a vehicle that size!!!  The seats were nicely padded and very comfortable. 
By the time we reached the Minnesota Avenue station the seats were 2/3rds full but the vehicle is sooo big you didn't feel crushed.  On a regular 40 footer with the same number of passengers there would have been a fully seated load with standees. The NABI has quite a presence with the red and silver paint and the streamlined appearance and that huge one piece front windshield.
I rode similar NABIs on the Orange Line in Los Angeles and although they had video screens for the news, etc., the WMATA NABIs rode better and had softer seats.  Next week I think I will try to catch a NABI on the "5A" for some high speed mileage.
I returned home on the Orange Line from Minnesota Avenue to the Red Line to Rockville where I caught RIDE ON route#54 (Orion VII) back to my home.  I left home at 10:30am and returned home at 2:30pm.
From what you described, it seems you live within a mile or 2 from where I live. Except the 54 and 74 are the only buses available in my area. I really want to ride or at least get a pic of 5501 before it retires, that would relieve me a lot.

Anyways, nice description of the new buses, I can't wait for next week so I can catch them on the 5A.
George: thank you for the comment.  Based on your description you must live in the Washingtonian/Rio community because that is the only location where the #54 and #74 meet.  I live off Muddy Branch Road near Diamondback (where the #54, #76 & #67 converge).  We are neighbors.  I plan to ride the 5A next week myself - let me know if you want company.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking where u lived. I wish the 67 and 76 also came around here, sometimes I want to go to Kentlands or to friends who live in Dufief Mill. EDIT-wait the 74 does to to Kentlands too, but not through Kentlands Blvd.

Im gonna go to Rosslyn on Nov. 4th (after my English class and after voting)

George, i'm going there on the 4th too. Maybe i'll see you there?
The REAL Landover Division fan!

OrionFlyer

#29
I'm thinking about doing a DC trip next Tuesday. Hopefully the BRT's will still be on the U8. If not then I'll just try to catch one of them on the X2.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.