News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Articulateds to hit the streets...

Started by Tristan, October 22, 2008, 11:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WES

Quote from: Tritransit Area on October 26, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
Hmm does Landover have any artics at all?  They would be good for the F4/F6 indeed!

Here's the deal about Landover and hosting artics.  If WMATA's not gonna increase service, then yea put artics on routes like the T18, P12, C22, maybe the F4.  But I would rather increase those routes to a point where eventually they would need artics because the increased service would then warrant artics.   But with Maryland's budget problems, then yea, keep those artics and base them out of Landover.  This maybe still true, because MD funds Montgomery and PG bus service, increasing service would warrant an increase in funding from the statehouse in order for that to happen.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

Scrabbleship

After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.

1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.

Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...

rideonrulez

Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 27, 2008, 06:13:16 AM
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.

1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.

Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...


I do have to agree with you about the lack of artics on a Sunday. WhyMATA can really use them seven days a week.

The U8 is not really a "nothing" route. It carries almost 6,000 riders a day. On top of that both ends use to be operated with artics before it was created.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

Tristan

Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 27, 2008, 06:13:16 AM
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.

1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.

Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...


If you can avoid it, why not?  I'm sure they'll be coddling these buses for the next few months.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Tristan on October 27, 2008, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on October 27, 2008, 06:13:16 AM
After walking up H Street yesterday, I have two observations about this whole situation and not putting them on the X2 at first.

1: Maybe it's the northerner in me, but H Street isn't in THAT bad of shape. I know they want the street to be paved, but I've seen streets not paved in worse shape and I've seen other TA's christen new buses over streets in similar if not worse shape.
2: What is behind WMATA's hostitility towards running artics on Sundays. Those C40LF's were getting quite packed and that artics are sitting idle on Sundays seems kind of asinine.

Those artics should not be launched on some nothing route in a rough part of town like the U8. Launching them on the X2 would not be that damaging as they think as it is. Of course, I'd rather see them launched in NW than SE...


If you can avoid it, why not?  I'm sure they'll be coddling these buses for the next few months.

Coddle them on a route where people will actually see them and where they won't cause problems for the entire route. Like the H's, the 80, the D6, or even the 79.

I would love to see them, but exiling them in the far reaches of SE with not much else to see isn't going to get me to come down from MoCo, especially since I work deeper in MoCo.

Tristan

i don't think the 'Hs, 80, D6, or even the 79" need artics.

LandoverDivision

Quote from: Tristan on October 27, 2008, 09:57:16 PM
i don't think the 'Hs, 80, D6, or even the 79" need artics.

The 79 yes, but the other routes no.
The REAL Landover Division fan!