News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

More Nova's for NYC

Started by mrpete, June 14, 2011, 07:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


WayneNYC

Not to take anything from TTMG, but the announcement of the MTA taking this option is posted on their site.

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=272

mrpete

Interesting insight on the MTA's bus testing program. Looks like the next two test fleets (90 each) will be Orions and NFI's. No indication if they're NG7's or Excelsiors but neither batch are hybrids or CNGs.


Click on the link and go to pages 49 & 50.


http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110217_1045_bus.pdf

WayneNYC

Quote from: mrpete on July 02, 2011, 03:52:50 PM
Interesting insight on the MTA's bus testing program. Looks like the next two test fleets (90 each) will be Orions and NFI's. No indication if they're NG7's or Excelsiors but neither batch are hybrids or CNGs.


Click on the link and go to pages 49 & 50.


http://www.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110217_1045_bus.pdf

NYCTA will get a few test fleets.  They already have the 90 NovaBUS LFS-A that were delivered in Spring, 2010.  The MTA has since placed an order for 328 additional LFS-As.  Currently, 90 Nova LFS (40 footer diesel) are being delivered.  The TA was due to get 90 New Flyer C40LF (plus 45 buses for MTA Bus), but the option order has been taken.  90 New Flyer Xcelsior diesel (XD40) are due to arrive later this year.  90 Orion VII are also coming later this year (I beleive these are hybrids).  The TA will also get 90 Prevost X3-45 buses for express service.

79MetroExtraMD

Whats up with the number 90? Just an oddly specific number. Appears NYC is taking a page from Translink with the demo fleet program.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WayneNYC

#5
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 08:59:10 AM
Whats up with the number 90? Just an oddly specific number. Appears NYC is taking a page from Translink with the demo fleet program.

The MTA is evaluating these buses.  Actually, I think it's a good idea to have these small groups to get a better idea of whether or not they like the bus for service in NYC.  They're deploying the 40-footers to just 3 depots which are: Castleton (Staten Island), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn) and Queens Village (Queens).  Each depot will get 30 of each bus (Orion VII, XD40 & LFS).  When they pruchased the 90 LFS-As, they were sent to two depots (126th Street in Manhattan and Gun Hill in The Bronx).

  I just hope it's not the Orion that rises to the top.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WayneNYC on July 04, 2011, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 08:59:10 AM
Whats up with the number 90? Just an oddly specific number. Appears NYC is taking a page from Translink with the demo fleet program.

The MTA is evaluating these buses.  Actually, I think it's a good idea to have these small groups to get a better idea of whether or not they like the bus for service in NYC.  They're deploying the 40-footers to just 3 depots which are: Castleton (Staten Island), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn) and Queens Village (Queens).  Each depot will get 30 of each bus (Orion VII, XD40 & LFS).  When they pruchased the 90 LFS-As, they were sent to two depots (126th Street in Manhattan and Gun Hill in The Bronx).

  I just hope it's not the Orion that rises to the top.
I'm guessing the hybrid era is pretty much over or just not in the forseeable future for them? It looked like they were going fully Orion HEV for their 40 footers. I wonder if they'll trial hybrid tics.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WayneNYC

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on July 04, 2011, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 08:59:10 AM
Whats up with the number 90? Just an oddly specific number. Appears NYC is taking a page from Translink with the demo fleet program.

The MTA is evaluating these buses.  Actually, I think it's a good idea to have these small groups to get a better idea of whether or not they like the bus for service in NYC.  They're deploying the 40-footers to just 3 depots which are: Castleton (Staten Island), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn) and Queens Village (Queens).  Each depot will get 30 of each bus (Orion VII, XD40 & LFS).  When they pruchased the 90 LFS-As, they were sent to two depots (126th Street in Manhattan and Gun Hill in The Bronx).

  I just hope it's not the Orion that rises to the top.
I'm guessing the hybrid era is pretty much over or just not in the forseeable future for them? It looked like they were going fully Orion HEV for their 40 footers. I wonder if they'll trial hybrid tics.

I wouldn't declare it to be over in NYC just yet.  The MTA is looking to get a lot info from these groups as to which direction they'll lean toward.  I'm not sure why they seem to not be too interested in a hybrid artic.  It looks like the OTR and artic purchases will remain diesel for now.  I'm sure they'd love to save some $$$ on purchasing diesel 40-footers over hybrids, but again, this is a case of... stay tuned.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WayneNYC on July 04, 2011, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on July 04, 2011, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 08:59:10 AM
Whats up with the number 90? Just an oddly specific number. Appears NYC is taking a page from Translink with the demo fleet program.

The MTA is evaluating these buses.  Actually, I think it's a good idea to have these small groups to get a better idea of whether or not they like the bus for service in NYC.  They're deploying the 40-footers to just 3 depots which are: Castleton (Staten Island), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn) and Queens Village (Queens).  Each depot will get 30 of each bus (Orion VII, XD40 & LFS).  When they pruchased the 90 LFS-As, they were sent to two depots (126th Street in Manhattan and Gun Hill in The Bronx).

  I just hope it's not the Orion that rises to the top.
I'm guessing the hybrid era is pretty much over or just not in the forseeable future for them? It looked like they were going fully Orion HEV for their 40 footers. I wonder if they'll trial hybrid tics.

I wouldn't declare it to be over in NYC just yet.  The MTA is looking to get a lot info from these groups as to which direction they'll lean toward.  I'm not sure why they seem to not be too interested in a hybrid artic.  It looks like the OTR and artic purchases will remain diesel for now.  I'm sure they'd love to save some $$$ on purchasing diesel 40-footers over hybrids, but again, this is a case of... stay tuned.
At least its not like California and their anti-diesel sentiments. I think they might wind up spending more money in buying CNG buses and other fuels when diesel comes out to be the cheapest. Also, who considers gasoline as an alternative fuel for buses?
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WayneNYC

#9
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 05:58:54 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on July 04, 2011, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 12:16:30 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on July 04, 2011, 09:32:05 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on July 04, 2011, 08:59:10 AM
Whats up with the number 90? Just an oddly specific number. Appears NYC is taking a page from Translink with the demo fleet program.

The MTA is evaluating these buses.  Actually, I think it's a good idea to have these small groups to get a better idea of whether or not they like the bus for service in NYC.  They're deploying the 40-footers to just 3 depots which are: Castleton (Staten Island), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn) and Queens Village (Queens).  Each depot will get 30 of each bus (Orion VII, XD40 & LFS).  When they pruchased the 90 LFS-As, they were sent to two depots (126th Street in Manhattan and Gun Hill in The Bronx).

  I just hope it's not the Orion that rises to the top.
I'm guessing the hybrid era is pretty much over or just not in the forseeable future for them? It looked like they were going fully Orion HEV for their 40 footers. I wonder if they'll trial hybrid tics.

I wouldn't declare it to be over in NYC just yet.  The MTA is looking to get a lot info from these groups as to which direction they'll lean toward.  I'm not sure why they seem to not be too interested in a hybrid artic.  It looks like the OTR and artic purchases will remain diesel for now.  I'm sure they'd love to save some $$$ on purchasing diesel 40-footers over hybrids, but again, this is a case of... stay tuned.
At least its not like California and their anti-diesel sentiments. I think they might wind up spending more money in buying CNG buses and other fuels when diesel comes out to be the cheapest. Also, who considers gasoline as an alternative fuel for buses?

They probably will make some more CNG purchases in the next few years as a few hundred CNG Orion Vs will be due to retire in the next few years.  I do see where there's any plans to expand the CNG operation at NYCTA or MTA Bus.  Of the 29 active depots between the two agencies, there's only 5 CNG depots (West Farms, Gleason, La Guardia, Baisley Park and Spring Creek).

mrpete

Another factor could be fuel consumption since the tester's power trains comply with the current 2010 EPA requirements. If their MPG#'s are close to the hybrids, in NYC conditions, it could make $en$e to suspend hybrid purchases.


As for CNG that's mostly an emissions issue since, although CNG is less expensive than diesel, consumption is higher as it contains less energy than the equivalent volume of diesel. Not to mention the expenses of the fuel stations and modified engines.