News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Best sounding bus of each class?

Started by NewFlyer9736BCT, November 22, 2010, 10:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NewFlyer9736BCT

What would you say is the best sounding bus of each type? Like...each type of bus should have at least one where the engine stands out from the others...

I would vote for these buses:

1993-1994 Flx Metro D (all types): 9729, 9761, 9805, 9809, 9823
1998 Orion V: 4309
2000 Orion V: 2161 (loud, powerful engine), 2224 (makes some sort of whine while accelerating)
2001-2002 New Flyer C40LF (excluding John Deere): 2407, 2423
2005 Orion VII CNG: (2501-2615) 2538
2006 Orion VII CNG: (2616-2685) 2634 (rode this one on the 13B today, it was hauling major ass)

alright so those obviously aren't the only types of buses in WMATA, so what others do y'all have in mind?
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

RideOn5905

I can't say anything for WMATA, since I don't really get to ride Metrobus that often.

Ride On, on the other hand...

1995-96 Gillig Phantom: 5368
1999 Orion V: 5706, 5716, 5719, 5725
2000 Orion V CNG: 5821 (although 5809 has been known to roar from time to time)
2003 Orion VII CNG: My answer should be obvious. Honorable mentions: 5901, 5906, 5913
2004 Orion VII CNG: 5927 (it sounds almost like WMATA's C40LFRs)
2005 Orion VII CNG: 5939
2005 New Flyer C40LF: 5823

NewFlyer9736BCT

#2
Quote from: RideOn5905 on November 23, 2010, 03:14:03 PM
I can't say anything for WMATA, since I don't really get to ride Metrobus that often.

Ride On, on the other hand...

1995-96 Gillig Phantom: 5368
1999 Orion V: 5706, 5716, 5719, 5725
2000 Orion V CNG: 5821 (although 5809 has been known to roar from time to time)
2003 Orion VII CNG: My answer should be obvious. Honorable mentions: 5901, 5906, 5913
2004 Orion VII CNG: 5927 (it sounds almost like WMATA's C40LFRs)
2005 Orion VII CNG: 5939
2005 New Flyer C40LF: 5823

man I forgot about Ride On. I agree with you with some (5706, 5821, 5823, and 5901).

At some point, 5712 and 5720 made some pretty sweet sounds, I don't think they do it anymore though.

So that said, here's what I would say for Ride On:

1990-1992 Orion I - 5518
1996 Orion V - 5564, 5565
1998 Orion V - 5574, 5576
1999 Orion V - 5706, 5712, 5720
2000 Orion V CNG - 5821
2001-2002 Orion V - 5580, 5583, 5586
2003 Orion VII CNG - 5901
2005 New Flyer C40LF - 5823, 5824
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Annex4421

WMATA
2006 New Flyer D40LFR ALL of them (Especially 6119) except 6106, 6182 and 6113,
2005-2006 Orion VII CNG 3021, 2527, 2600 and ALL of the John Deeres.
2001-2002 New Flyer C40LF 2429, 2430, 2337, 2315, 2353, 2303, and 2442.
1999 Orion Vs (30ft) 3932 and 3949.
2000 Orion Vs basicly all the strong LOUD powerful sounding ones like 2164 2136, 2223 etc.
1995 Flxible Metro Es (RIP) 4009, 4007 4016 4034 4010 and 4036(Only cause it had the original exhaust pipe and it was LOUD before it got retired).
1993-1994 Flxible Metro Ds (RIP) 9719, 9702 9738 I wish I got the chance to ride more of the 9800s with the Cummins M11 engines in them.
Flxible Metro Bs (RIP) ALL series even though I used to hate the 93/9400s when I was a little kid
1995 American Ikarus Model 436.06 5240-5241 and I could care less if they had Voiths they still sounded good

Ride-On
2001-2002 Orion V 5586 (I CANOT stand these Orions with a passion but that bus somewhat attracts me)
2003-2005 Orion VII CNG ALL the DD50/Voiths and the C Gas Plus/ZFs I cannot stand the C gas/Voiths they sound like crap
2005 New Flyer C40LFs 5831
2008-2009 Gillig Advantage Diesel 5742-5744 and 5752
2009 Gillig Advantage Hybrid 5346




orionvii2680

Coming from a person that stays in virginia i dont get that much action.....

2500 series- 2515 mega fast.
2600 series- 2655,2680 one hell of a turbo.
2700 series- 2704 has that transmition slip that is oh so sexy.
2100 series- 2118 airplane loud.
4200 series- 4361 second gear oh my god.

Route Rex destination Woodlawn.

Annex4421

Since MOST of the Ikarus buses retired I figured I put this up just in case anyone wanted to heard them and its with the Voiths wish I had a recording of them wit a ZF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTucDlxKEzQ



79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on December 15, 2010, 07:41:20 PM
Since MOST of the Ikarus buses retired I figured I put this up just in case anyone wanted to heard them and its with the Voiths wish I had a recording of them wit a ZF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTucDlxKEzQ
Baltimore had a few NABIs with ZF Ecomat 2s that had some good whining.
As for me.

9729 had one of the loudest whistles I've ever heard. Last saw it running on the R12 at Beltway Plaza. 4101 had a whine as well (ironic that its a Detroit). Last saw that running on the C8.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06