News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

August 2010 Photos

Started by 79MetroExtraMD, August 02, 2010, 10:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

79MetroExtraMD

Photos from today (AM)
























"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

ChristopherF

DC CIRCULATOR:
I've been seeing some 2009 Van Hool A300K buses on the Georgetown-Union Station lines lately.  At least I'm not the only one who has.

Scrabbleship

#2
Quote from: ChristopherF on August 05, 2010, 10:08:10 AM
DC CIRCULATOR:
I've been seeing some 2009 Van Hool A300K buses on the Georgetown-Union Station lines lately.  At least I'm not the only one who has.

I think this might be some real-world testing of how the 300K's will handle Georgetown traffic when Blue Bus goes Circulator next month.

At the same time, I've seen 300K's on the Southwest Waterfront route and I've seen many runs on the Woodley Park-Adams Morgan-14th St-McPherson Square route go to A330's.

79MetroExtraMD

"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

79MetroExtraMD

Pics from today uploaded to Picasa. I'll post the good ones later on

http://picasaweb.google.com/flyerD4001/6Aug?feat=directlink
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

Alright, let's start with some bizarre sign displays from 4100:






Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

NewFlyer9736BCT

Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

NewFlyer9736BCT

Now onto August 2. First, here's the lady that got in my way in one of my shots (and I was clearly in front of her, moving up as she got closer, but she didn't get the message)




and here's the rest that turned out well...for the most part...






















and after the clouds came back and covered the sun, I had a lot of shots here in which I forgot to adjust the shutter speed, so they're not as good as they should be

















Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WMATAGMOAGH

How hard would it be for WMATA to spell "Tenleytown" correctly on the headsigns?  It isn't like they are lacking room for the missing "e."

I've noticed several complaints recently from various photgraphers here about people blocking shots.  Remember that most people aren't suspecting that you are taking a photo of a bus (most people don't in their day to day lives) and are probably in their own little worlds anyway and not paying attention.  I'm more aware of photographers and try not to get in their way when I can, but I've probably knowingly ruined shots (for example, yesterday, I was on my bike near the Washington Monument and did not slow down when a man set up on one side of the path to photograph his traveling companion, standing on the other side, never mind that this guy then stepped out in front of the bike, but that is a general rant against oblivious tourists that probably deserves its own thread).  Fortunately, in the world of digital photography, there is no loss of film.  The bus might have moved on but after all, it is just a bus and part of the challenge is getting that "perfect" shot without a hitch...

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on August 07, 2010, 09:07:39 PM
How hard would it be for WMATA to spell "Tenleytown" correctly on the headsigns?  It isn't like they are lacking room for the missing "e."

I've noticed several complaints recently from various photgraphers here about people blocking shots.  Remember that most people aren't suspecting that you are taking a photo of a bus (most people don't in their day to day lives) and are probably in their own little worlds anyway and not paying attention.  I'm more aware of photographers and try not to get in their way when I can, but I've probably knowingly ruined shots (for example, yesterday, I was on my bike near the Washington Monument and did not slow down when a man set up on one side of the path to photograph his traveling companion, standing on the other side, never mind that this guy then stepped out in front of the bike, but that is a general rant against oblivious tourists that probably deserves its own thread).  Fortunately, in the world of digital photography, there is no loss of film.  The bus might have moved on but after all, it is just a bus and part of the challenge is getting that "perfect" shot without a hitch...
On the 3900s, they have it spelled correctly. There are various typos and short spellings on a bunch of the signs. GREENNCASTLE. At least we dont see BRGS CHNY anymore. The 2 line stacking doesn't make matters better either where you have alot of the destination being crammed into one single display. For example, MT. PLEASANT VIA ADAMS MORGAN. Why Metro did this even though Mount Pleasant worked fine is beyond me. This isn't even programmed into some buses on the sign controllers themselves but just in the Clever Devices system. So, most 42s have to key up the H8 and then change the route to show 42.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

#10
hey, at least we don't have 3-line stacking like they do with the '06 Gilligs at Palm Tran (and maybe later models)

example:
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on August 10, 2010, 11:10:25 AM
hey, at least we don't have 3-line stacking like they do with the '06 Gilligs at Palm Tran (and maybe later models)
I don't get why some TAs are so privy as to not use alternating displays and want to stack everything in one display. It makes the sign less readable from a distance and you have to wait for the bus to be near the stop just to see where it's going. That's why I like the Luminator TITAN, Twinvision, and Aesys signs because they do well with multiple line stacking because of the better contrast and viewing angles.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Scrabbleship

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 10, 2010, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on August 10, 2010, 11:10:25 AM
hey, at least we don't have 3-line stacking like they do with the '06 Gilligs at Palm Tran (and maybe later models)
I don't get why some TAs are so privy as to not use alternating displays and want to stack everything in one display. It makes the sign less readable from a distance and you have to wait for the bus to be near the stop just to see where it's going. That's why I like the Luminator TITAN, Twinvision, and Aesys signs because they do well with multiple line stacking because of the better contrast and viewing angles.

In the cases of TA's that were late adopters of electronic signs (points finger at Muni and CDTA), it's a compromise for the often wordy rollsigns both agencies previously used. Both agencies also "name" their routes ("38-Geary", "22-Albany/Troy via Broadway", etc.)

WMATAGMOAGH

I actually think MT PLEASANT VIA ADAMS MORGAN is an improvement.  Adams Morgan is an area that isn't served by the Red Line directly and is a major destination for that line.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on August 10, 2010, 11:58:09 AM
I actually think MT PLEASANT VIA ADAMS MORGAN is an improvement.  Adams Morgan is an area that isn't served by the Red Line directly and is a major destination for that line.
It only works given if its programmed into the sign. It's still not on alot of Orions at Western.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06