News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

New WMATA Bus Orders

Started by wmata employee, September 16, 2008, 05:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MetroLinerXLZ

Quick question:

My prediction (based on some slight research) is that an incoming order of New Flyer hybrids (mixed sizes, some 60ft) will possibly retire any and all remaining Flxible Metro B's in the WMATA.

I need to see if this is correct.
It is whatever.

LandoverDivision

I hope the B's don't get retired I love those buses.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

WayneNYC

Yes, the 37 and 42 foot New Flyers will likely retire remaining Metro-Bs.  Or at least push them into contingency status.  Probably the same for the '92 Orion Vs, if any are left.

Perry

At one point WMATA was considering keeping a lot of their buses in contingency to allow for extra service where there was overcrowding.  I don't know if that has subsided or not.

WayneNYC

Supposedly, there was a recent directive to not retire any buses.  I wonder if WMATA's goal is to always have a somewhat large contingency fleet.  I think back to the days when they leased the new looks to NYCTA.  We had 160 of them in NYC which makes me think that at least in those days WMATA kept lots of buses in their cntingency fleet.

wmata employee

we are not retiring no buses at this time when the news buses arrive all 4000-4104,9701-9785,9801-9835 will remain of an rehab fleet. metro will rehab all these buses for the expansion fleet.The new paint process is very unique LOCAL,EXPRESS

OrionFlyer

#21
So does that mean that eventually all the buses in the WMATA fleet, except for Metro Extra buses will have the new paint scheme, including the Flxibles?


I really want to seen the Orion VII's in that paint scheme.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WMATAGMOAGH

Am I the only one who isn't really a fan of the new scheme?

RailBus63

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 22, 2008, 07:34:01 PM
Am I the only one who isn't really a fan of the new scheme?

No - I'm not crazy about it either.  I'd rather see a modified version that retains the red, white and blue stripes.

I really don't like the idea of painting buses 'Local' and 'Express' - you either lose a lot of flexibility when assigning buses, or you end up confusing the heck out of customers when a blue bus shows up on a 'red bus' route.

MetroLinerXLZ

Quote from: RailBus63 on September 22, 2008, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 22, 2008, 07:34:01 PM
Am I the only one who isn't really a fan of the new scheme?

No - I'm not crazy about it either.  I'd rather see a modified version that retains the red, white and blue stripes.

I really don't like the idea of painting buses 'Local' and 'Express' - you either lose a lot of flexibility when assigning buses, or you end up confusing the heck out of customers when a blue bus shows up on a 'red bus' route.

LACMTA has definately learned their lesson doing that, especially when they did that massive garage move in late 2006.

IMO, it's a good faith idea that may go screwy. Hopefully, WMATA won't do any garage moves anytime soon.
It is whatever.

mrpete

Way, way, way, back when, United Railways in B'more "permanently" assigned streetcars to their routes. Fleet #'s were based on the route; e.g. Line 13 cars were 1300's, etc. When cars were reassigned to different carhouses the entire fleet had to be renumbered. That didn't last long!

WES

Quote from: MetroLinerXLZ on September 27, 2008, 03:42:46 PM
Quote from: RailBus63 on September 22, 2008, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 22, 2008, 07:34:01 PM
Am I the only one who isn't really a fan of the new scheme?

No - I'm not crazy about it either.  I'd rather see a modified version that retains the red, white and blue stripes.

I really don't like the idea of painting buses 'Local' and 'Express' - you either lose a lot of flexibility when assigning buses, or you end up confusing the heck out of customers when a blue bus shows up on a 'red bus' route.

LACMTA has definately learned their lesson doing that, especially when they did that massive garage move in late 2006.

IMO, it's a good faith idea that may go screwy. Hopefully, WMATA won't do any garage moves anytime soon.

WMATA does massive garage moves without there being a paint scheme issue.  We had thought when WMATA tried to put buses together in certain garages was the end of this, but it wasn't.

I think WMATA just loves to move buses around, they're addicted to it.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

WayneNYC

Quote from: RailBus63 on September 22, 2008, 10:39:34 PM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on September 22, 2008, 07:34:01 PM
Am I the only one who isn't really a fan of the new scheme?

No - I'm not crazy about it either.  I'd rather see a modified version that retains the red, white and blue stripes.

I really don't like the idea of painting buses 'Local' and 'Express' - you either lose a lot of flexibility when assigning buses, or you end up confusing the heck out of customers when a blue bus shows up on a 'red bus' route.

I like the "Local" & "Express" branding if the buses could be consistently used on the proper routes.  Unless things will change at WMATA, I think this is not good, since currently local buses can often be seen on express routes and vice-versa.

Not sure how well LACMTA does with local, rapid and expresses branded buses on the proper routes.  I think NYCTA, MTAB and even Bee-Line could pull this sort of thing off.

WayneNYC

#28
Quote from: WES on September 28, 2008, 11:19:38 AM

WMATA does massive garage moves without there being a paint scheme issue.  We had thought when WMATA tried to put buses together in certain garages was the end of this, but it wasn't.

I think WMATA just loves to move buses around, they're addicted to it.

Back in NYC they claim to regularly do large bus moves for mileage reasons.  Basically, they want a given group of buses to wear out evenly.   So you'll often see buses at a high-mileage depot get sent to a lower mileage depot and vice-versa.

Tristan

Wayne, that could explain the random movements we've seen here.

I think, regarding the local/express thing, that part of WMATA's issue is that there just isn't enough of that type of service for them to assign buses properly.  If they increase service the way Catoe says they will, maybe express buses will do nothing but express and still do a full day's work, but as it is now, you probably can't cut an 8-hour run with nothing but express work.