News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

What the riders are saying

Started by Scrabbleship, June 28, 2010, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Tritransit Area on August 03, 2010, 09:17:03 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 27, 2010, 09:46:19 AM
An argument for federalizing WMATA. Somehow the fact that "members of Congress and tourists rid[e Metrorail & take Metrobus]...puts WMATA into a league of its own."

Given the unique position of DC, is this claim somewhat valid?

Somehow this makes me think of taxation without representation....  That being said, do you believe that it's appropriate that WMATA would get federal funding for operations while every other struggling system in the nation can't obtain such funding?

Does a part of DC's taxes go into funding the WMATA system?  I'm just not completely knowledgeable about the full funding structure of the system

Yes, I think it is fair.  A significant (though no longer over 50%) number of WMATA's peak riders are federal workers going to and from work, and Metro also is the primary method for many tourists from all over the nation (and the world) of getting around the city.  I don't think any other mass transit system in the US serves so many federal workers and tourists/out of towners.

Scrabbleship

Tweets of doom from last night/this morning. Read these as you may. I won't even get into the tweets of POPT-DC, a Ballston-Silver Spring commuter who redid their schedule to save 40 cents/day whose feed is all Metro hate.

Red line metro center: first car out of service AND 10 minute wait. Way to go #wmata. #fail. Again
#wmata fail again - red line delays due to a broken train outside of White Flint. peak of the peak my ass.
#wmata keep raising fairs but not raising quality service.... [Female dogs]!.
Hilarious look at Metro issues on Fox 5 News now. #wmata is such a pathetic, broken, lost cause.
Exit faregates at Suitland not working. Hundreds riding for free today. Wonder how much revenue lost? #wmata
I can't comprehend how #wmata thinks running trains toward shady grove 10 minutes apart during "peak of the peak" is acceptable
#wmata you've been around for decades get your [crap] together
Glad I paid for a fare increase so that I can wait 8 minutes for a red line train during rush hour... Thanks, Metro! #wmata #fail


And the big one that shows everyone's frustrations

I propose a hostile takeover of #wmata. Who's with me? (am I going to get arrested for tweeting this?)

When frustrated riders want someone, anyone, to take over their transit agency, you know something might be wrong. I have a weird feeling that things are going to come to a head between riders and Metro brass sooner than later.



Scrabbleship

Cost the Nationals a chance at Cliff Lee and made the SHRM* Conference to ditch DC for Atlanta and Las Vegas due to "transportation issues"


I think I've seen it all from riders airing out their hate of WMATA. I'll just let you guys poke fun at this as this seems to be very, very disconnected from reality. I also think the "Cliff Lee's wife like transit" angle was a bit overplayed as the true angle is more "Cliff Lee's son has cancer in remission and Philly has very good hospitals that deal with pediatric cancers" than transit. As for the SHRM, I don't get how Atlanta has less "transportation issues" than DC other than MARTA never has had the chance to be overused. This is downright delusional.



* Society of Human Resources Managers, the blogger (who usually blogs on DC sports, the banner is from his customized Caps jersey) in question is a professional recruiter.

Tristan

Sad because SHRM is based in Alexandria...a block from King St M.