News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Even More DE42LFAs (6510+)

Started by OrionFlyer, June 04, 2010, 12:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Scrabbleship on June 17, 2010, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on June 07, 2010, 09:28:06 PM
Well don't worry everyone after these LFAs 102 Hybrids are gonna be left so the Flx B's or E's are gonna stay until next year.

I think the B's are toast and all that remains will be the E's. Those B's deserve a fair retirement at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bs outlast the Es at this point. I mean, all the Ds except the Detroit Diesel ones are retired now, plus many Es (and Bs as well, but they still seem to be running ok like the Es)
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Annex4421

Quote from: Scrabbleship on June 17, 2010, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on June 07, 2010, 09:28:06 PM
Well don't worry everyone after these LFAs 102 Hybrids are gonna be left so the Flx B's or E's are gonna stay until next year.

I think the B's are toast and all that remains will be the E's. Those B's deserve a fair retirement at this point.
The B's are toast? where have you been? they are 20 years old and still running strong, they'll probably be the last Flixbles retired from WMATA because most of the E's are retired already.



OrionFlyer

Weren't the B's in storage a couple of years ago? Is that why they've lasted as have?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WayneNYC

Quote from: OrionFlyer on June 26, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
Weren't the B's in storage a couple of years ago? Is that why they've lasted as have?

Yes, after the DE40LF/R and D40LFR came along many of the Metro-Bs went into storage.  I'm sure this is indeed a factor in why they could thurn out to be the last Flxibles standing at WMATA.

Tritransit Area

Quote from: WayneNYC on June 26, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on June 26, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
Weren't the B's in storage a couple of years ago? Is that why they've lasted as have?

Yes, after the DE40LF/R and D40LFR came along many of the Metro-Bs went into storage.  I'm sure this is indeed a factor in why they could thurn out to be the last Flxibles standing at WMATA.

I love the Metro Es, but I'd be stoked if the current Metro Bs (my favorite Flxibles!) lasted until the end!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tritransit Area on June 27, 2010, 12:20:36 AM
Quote from: WayneNYC on June 26, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on June 26, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
Weren't the B's in storage a couple of years ago? Is that why they've lasted as have?

Yes, after the DE40LF/R and D40LFR came along many of the Metro-Bs went into storage.  I'm sure this is indeed a factor in why they could thurn out to be the last Flxibles standing at WMATA.

I love the Metro Es, but I'd be stoked if the current Metro Bs (my favorite Flxibles!) lasted until the end!
ala NJ Transit.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WayneNYC

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on June 27, 2010, 07:33:55 AM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on June 27, 2010, 12:20:36 AM
Quote from: WayneNYC on June 26, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on June 26, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
Weren't the B's in storage a couple of years ago? Is that why they've lasted as have?

Yes, after the DE40LF/R and D40LFR came along many of the Metro-Bs went into storage.  I'm sure this is indeed a factor in why they could thurn out to be the last Flxibles standing at WMATA.

I love the Metro Es, but I'd be stoked if the current Metro Bs (my favorite Flxibles!) lasted until the end!
ala NJ Transit.

???  NJTransit Metro-Bs are are gone.  Both transit and suburban Metro-Ds are still rolling, although the huge NABI 416 order will certainly push them out the door eventually.

Flxible

Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on June 22, 2010, 02:13:56 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on June 17, 2010, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on June 07, 2010, 09:28:06 PM
Well don't worry everyone after these LFAs 102 Hybrids are gonna be left so the Flx B's or E's are gonna stay until next year.

I think the B's are toast and all that remains will be the E's. Those B's deserve a fair retirement at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bs outlast the Es at this point. I mean, all the Ds except the Detroit Diesel ones are retired now, plus many Es (and Bs as well, but they still seem to be running ok like the Es)

I agree.  From what I gather from area fans, the Bs were better buses than either the Ds and Es and are thus being kept for mechanical preference rather than age preference.  That and keeping them in storage didn't hurt.

Is 9310 still in Paralympics configuration?  That could hopefully keep it in service long after the other Flxes are gone.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

mrpete

#23
There may have been two orders as NFI's web site identifies a WMATA order for 48 having been made in the 3rd quarter of 2009, same time frame as Fairfax Connector ordered their 31 units. The NFI press release is dated Nov. 5, 2009.


http://www.newflyer.com/index/2009_11_05_q3_results

WayneNYC

#24
Quote from: mrpete on July 19, 2010, 04:13:06 PM
There may have been two orders as NFI's web site identifies a WMATA order for 48 having been made in the 3rd quarter of 2009, same time frame as Fairfax Connector ordered their 31 units. The NFI press release is dated Nov. 5, 2009.

In late 2009 NF was still delivering original group of LFAs (37, 42 and 62 footers).  The 48 bues were purchased with stiumulus funds and they're not more than a couple months old at this point.  My guess is that the LFAs beyond 6509 may be an option that was taken.

Quote from: Flxible on July 02, 2010, 11:53:26 AM
Quote from: NewFlyer9736BCT on June 22, 2010, 02:13:56 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on June 17, 2010, 09:04:30 AM
Quote from: Southern Avenue Annex on June 07, 2010, 09:28:06 PM
Well don't worry everyone after these LFAs 102 Hybrids are gonna be left so the Flx B's or E's are gonna stay until next year.
I think the B's are toast and all that remains will be the E's. Those B's deserve a fair retirement at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bs outlast the Es at this point. I mean, all the Ds except the Detroit Diesel ones are retired now, plus many Es (and Bs as well, but they still seem to be running ok like the Es)
I agree.  From what I gather from area fans, the Bs were better buses than either the Ds and Es and are thus being kept for mechanical preference rather than age preference.  That and keeping them in storage didn't hurt.
Is 9310 still in Paralympics configuration?  That could hopefully keep it in service long after the other Flxes are gone.

Not saying the Metro-Bs are "better" than the D & Es (or vice-versa).  IMO, the fact that some Bs are outliving some Ds and Es is purely coincidental.  The NFI DE40LF/R, D40LFR and Orion VII made it possible to retire nearly all of the Metro-Bs.  In my mind it made perfect sense for WMATA to retain what was likely some of the 'best" of the newest Metro-Bs.  In regards to the Metro-Ds, those buses were some of the hardest working buses at WMATA.  For most of their time, most of them have always been at WMATA busiest divisions like Montgomery and Northern.  At Northern and Montgomery they pretty much always ran 7-days per week because the artics usually stayed in the house on Sundays.  I have nothing against the Metro-Bs, in fact I was very fond of them, but the way I see it... they didn't quite get run into the ground like the Metro-Ds and Es.   Also, this last bunch did have the benefit of being in storage for a couple of years and they seemed to have gotten a bit of TLC to bring them back into service. 

SchuminWeb

Quote from: Tritransit Area on June 05, 2010, 08:30:38 PMThat's one reason I'm shocked that WMATA stopped putting those "Natural Gas" and "Hybrid" labels on their buses, especially the LFAs.

Meant to reply to this a while back.  The LFAs do have a hybrid mark, just not the big "RUNNING ON CLEAN HYBRID ELECTRIC" or whatever they say.  It's now a smaller black, white, and green sticker.  I want to say it's on the sides of the buses near the number, and maybe also the back.

Ride On 51 to Norbeck Park and Ride

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WayneNYC on June 27, 2010, 04:36:11 PM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on June 27, 2010, 07:33:55 AM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on June 27, 2010, 12:20:36 AM
Quote from: WayneNYC on June 26, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on June 26, 2010, 01:58:24 PM
Weren't the B's in storage a couple of years ago? Is that why they've lasted as have?

Yes, after the DE40LF/R and D40LFR came along many of the Metro-Bs went into storage.  I'm sure this is indeed a factor in why they could thurn out to be the last Flxibles standing at WMATA.

I love the Metro Es, but I'd be stoked if the current Metro Bs (my favorite Flxibles!) lasted until the end!
ala NJ Transit.

???  NJTransit Metro-Bs are are gone.  Both transit and suburban Metro-Ds are still rolling, although the huge NABI 416 order will certainly push them out the door eventually.
Oh they're gone now. Figures since they are already getting their transit 416s. Is the order still that grand 1200 over the next 3 years or so?
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Scrabbleship

Quote from: SchuminWeb on July 20, 2010, 11:47:00 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on June 05, 2010, 08:30:38 PMThat's one reason I'm shocked that WMATA stopped putting those "Natural Gas" and "Hybrid" labels on their buses, especially the LFAs.

Meant to reply to this a while back.  The LFAs do have a hybrid mark, just not the big "RUNNING ON CLEAN HYBRID ELECTRIC" or whatever they say.  It's now a smaller black, white, and green sticker.  I want to say it's on the sides of the buses near the number, and maybe also the back.

The "WMATA's Going Green" sticker is on the sides near the number and on the back. They also put the stickers on the 6000's even though they still have their original markings.