News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Metrobus Changes FY2011

Started by mrpete, March 27, 2010, 12:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mrpete

This appears to be the final proposal for cuts & changes for DC dated March 19th:

http://www.wmata.com/community_outreach/B10-2_landing/docket/bus_dc.pdf

OrionFlyer

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Perry

#2
Wow!  $6 for the B30?  That's going to be interesting, although I do see the point of charging a little more than a typical express route, but I don't know if it's really an 'intercity' type trip as they are trying to make it.

And the F6 to Fort Totten is intriguing, sort of like bringing back the old peak only F5.

WayneNYC

Wow - that's a lot of cuts.  If all of this happens... there won't be much service after midnight.

NewFlyer9736BCT

I find the R12, T12, T14, T16, T17 change to be pretty good, but other than that, I don't really like these changes, especially with the C8, F6, R2/R3 changes.

are there any alternative links or something to the DC and VA PDF files? the DC one keeps freezing and the VA one won't load
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Perry

I think they should keep the R3 just running from PG Plaza to Fort Totten.  The R2 plan is ridiculous.  Riggs Road to Univ. Blvd. to 23rd Ave. to E/W Hwy back to Riggs Road?  Although it's less of a delay than riding to PG Plaza and back to Riggs, that's crazy. At least the R3 could just keep covering it and then maybe they can interline at Fort Totten with the R2 like they do on weekends.  Perhaps the R3 could even interline with the 80. 

If they're worried about duplication of service on the F6/F4, just send the F6 to Takoma and instead of New Carrollton, find some other destination, maybe Landover?

I do like the idea to shave frequencies, that's what we did rather than hack away at routes.  WMATA has so much duplication of service that it makes sense to eliminate some routes though. Some of it is just historical and of little or no use.  It would be nice if they would show what the passenger impact was though.  How many passengers are really affected by a lot of the changes, particularly if there are no alternatives.

The overnight stuff must really be low if that's what they're looking at cutting back.  Typically that's when service is the most efficient and requires the least amount of resources, so I can't imagine the overall savings would be that much.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Perry on March 27, 2010, 10:24:30 PM
I think they should keep the R3 just running from PG Plaza to Fort Totten.  The R2 plan is ridiculous.  Riggs Road to Univ. Blvd. to 23rd Ave. to E/W Hwy back to Riggs Road?  Although it's less of a delay than riding to PG Plaza and back to Riggs, that's crazy. At least the R3 could just keep covering it and then maybe they can interline at Fort Totten with the R2 like they do on weekends.  Perhaps the R3 could even interline with the 80. 

If they're worried about duplication of service on the F6/F4, just send the F6 to Takoma and instead of New Carrollton, find some other destination, maybe Landover?

I do like the idea to shave frequencies, that's what we did rather than hack away at routes.  WMATA has so much duplication of service that it makes sense to eliminate some routes though. Some of it is just historical and of little or no use.  It would be nice if they would show what the passenger impact was though.  How many passengers are really affected by a lot of the changes, particularly if there are no alternatives.

The overnight stuff must really be low if that's what they're looking at cutting back.  Typically that's when service is the most efficient and requires the least amount of resources, so I can't imagine the overall savings would be that much.

I can attest for that on the S line and the 42 where there are alot of late night workers that are heading home on those after midnight trips as well as those people who go out on Friday and Saturday nights.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Perry

I bet there are some trips in the overnight that are more productive than mid-day. 

WayneNYC

My understanding is that a lot of those late night G2 trips are well utilized as well.  Since GUTS (Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle) has infrequent evening service a lot of students use the G2 between GU's campus and DuPont Circle.

mrpete

#9
Just my opinion but I think the post-midnight cuts are largely symbolic similar to what all levels of government do: Go for the seemingly "low hanging fruit" that has minimal $$ impact but addresses the public perception that such services are "wasteful".

Regarding reduced headways I think this is mostly positive since, IMO, while shorter frequencies are perceived as a service improvement it becomes more difficult for operations/supervision to maintain schedule adherence which increases the probability of bunching, especially in peak periods. Thus what theoretically should be a significant improvement in service actually impedes service reliability which leads to frustrated riders. Shorter headways mean more buses/drivers at higher cost for little actual benefit to riders from increased service. On the surface this would seem to favor the argument for more artics on longer headways. The surface equivalent of: Is it better to run more frequent overcrowded six-car trains or longer eight-car trains on wider potentially more reliable headways?

Duplication/triplication of service goes back to DC Transit days. I believe this has less to do with rational service planning and more to do with pandering to local political realities where my brothers/sisters in DC have always perceived that the 'burbs were getting more/better service than DC was getting for their fares/taxes. That perception still exists and is felt by the city council and WMATA board. That will probabaly not change in our lifetimes: It is what it is. To a lesser extent that perception exists in the 'burbs as well.

My solution? Cut back WMATA to Metrobus only in the District plus Metrorail. Bus service outside DC reverts to the counties. Rail is still supported by all the jurisdictions per the Compact.

What do you think?

Tritransit Area

#10
I could only upload the DC routes so far, and I'm notice that a lot, if  not all, of the "school based routes" are being completely eliminated.  Was Metrobus not getting funding for these routes in any form?  If that's the case, why create them in the first place?  Are they historic routes?

I'm also very disappointed in the discontinuation of late night service.  How will people get home from late night jobs at the hospitals, entertainment venues, etc?  Couldn't they work to at least reduce the frequencies, even if it must be hourly?  Is Metrorail getting cut in such a manner as well?

EDIT:  Just managed to download the MD cuts.  I must say...thank goodness for Ride On!  A lot of transit access seems to be saved by Montgomery County's transit system, especially in the late nights.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Perry

Regarding late evening service, they should look at the PPSH, passengers per service hour, of each of those routes and then cut the trips that don't meet a certain threshold.  We have a 20 PPSH standard that we've been applying and if a certain late evening trip doesn't meet it, it's on the block to get chopped. At some point, you have to fish or cut bait, but if it's a well utilized trip, it's really bad politically to get rid of it. 

They should just contract all of their bus operations out and they can save a ton of money on wages and benefits that their unions have forced on them!

They really do need to do some real transit planning and forget the old days of mixing in the routing schemes and do something that is logical and easy to understand. 

Transport

Not sure if the $6 for the 5A and B30 is that odd nowadays.  FFX Connector has two routes charging $7 per ride weekdays between Reston and the Pentagon.

Info here: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post.cgi?id=3356

rideonrulez

That's alot of cuts. But most every transit agency is going through this unfortunately. I'll chime in more with my 2 cents when I get a chance.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Transport on March 29, 2010, 02:14:20 PM
Not sure if the $6 for the 5A and B30 is that odd nowadays.  FFX Connector has two routes charging $7 per ride weekdays between Reston and the Pentagon.

Info here: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post.cgi?id=3356

The difference between those FFX routes and the 5A/B30 is that almost 100% of the ridership on the FFX routes is paid via the pre-tax transit benefits of government workers. Not the same with the 5A/B30.

If anything, I'd say $4.50 via SmarTrip, $5 even for cash. Makes it quick, easy, and painless for tourists to pay.