News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Branding of WMATA buses (revisited)

Started by Tritransit Area, January 25, 2010, 11:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tritransit Area

I look at the Metro Extra scheme, feeling bad that it will soon be history, and this pops into my mind:

"How are you supposed to tell if your bus is Express or Local in the front, save for the destination sign?"

I look at other pictures, and there's no mention of Express or Local.  So, what's with the different schemes if you can't tell the difference when the bus is pulling up to you?  At least you knew when you saw the Extra pull up, it was a Metro Extra with the logo and the blue front.  Sigh...
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Tritransit Area on January 25, 2010, 11:22:18 AM
I look at the Metro Extra scheme, feeling bad that it will soon be history, and this pops into my mind:

"How are you supposed to tell if your bus is Express or Local in the front, save for the destination sign?"

I look at other pictures, and there's no mention of Express or Local.  So, what's with the different schemes if you can't tell the difference when the bus is pulling up to you?  At least you knew when you saw the Extra pull up, it was a Metro Extra with the logo and the blue front.  Sigh...

This local/express bus branding is a waste unless it is implemented fleet wide and consistently (i.e. no express buses on local routes on the weekends).  In light of the current economic situation, I don't think repainting every bus to make this scheme work should be a high priority.  I like the old fourth scheme (if I got the number right) more than the Catoe/LA scheme.  If I were making the decision and required to implement this new scheme in some way, go ahead and get half the buses in red and half the buses in blue, but don't assign any to be local or express and just assign them to trips as necessary.

WayneNYC

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on January 25, 2010, 12:34:35 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on January 25, 2010, 11:22:18 AM
I look at the Metro Extra scheme, feeling bad that it will soon be history, and this pops into my mind:

"How are you supposed to tell if your bus is Express or Local in the front, save for the destination sign?"

I look at other pictures, and there's no mention of Express or Local.  So, what's with the different schemes if you can't tell the difference when the bus is pulling up to you?  At least you knew when you saw the Extra pull up, it was a Metro Extra with the logo and the blue front.  Sigh...

This local/express bus branding is a waste unless it is implemented fleet wide and consistently (i.e. no express buses on local routes on the weekends).  In light of the current economic situation, I don't think repainting every bus to make this scheme work should be a high priority.  I like the old fourth scheme (if I got the number right) more than the Catoe/LA scheme.  If I were making the decision and required to implement this new scheme in some way, go ahead and get half the buses in red and half the buses in blue, but don't assign any to be local or express and just assign them to trips as necessary.

Agreed.  I think the idea is good (in theory).  In WMATA's case (IMO), we're seeing almost daily examples of why they're not ready for express/local branding.  I can understand the occasional time when a less than ideal bus is needed, but WMATA seems to have Express branded buses in local runs daily.  I've also seen some "Local" buses on the J7/J9 a few times.  All this does is gives busspotters like us something to report on this board and, at the worst confuse some passengers who may have gotten used to blue buses as express and red as locals.  Looks cool, but I think it's not practical for WMATA and the "EXPRESS" P/R display is enough.

OrionFlyer

Quote from: WayneNYC on January 25, 2010, 02:54:25 PM
In WMATA's case (IMO), we're seeing almost daily examples of why they're not ready for express/local branding.

Like the fact that some Local routes interline with Express?. Like an Express bus on the Q (MWXX),  then becoming one of the Express Z Routes.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Annex4421

WMATA hasn't basicly repainted all their buses yet so we can't really say if they're ready for the LOCAL/EXPRESS schemes its just like suburbans appearing on regular routes. I do agree with WMATAGMOAGH in terms of the Express scheme being a waste but not the Local I think Express buses should get their own paint and Limited stop gets their own anyone agree?



WayneNYC

Quote from: Southeastern Annex on January 25, 2010, 04:52:26 PM
WMATA hasn't basicly repainted all their buses yet so we can't really say if they're ready for the LOCAL/EXPRESS schemes its just like suburbans appearing on regular routes. I do agree with WMATAGMOAGH in terms of the Express scheme being a waste but not the Local I think Express buses should get their own paint and Limited stop gets their own anyone agree?

Yes, WMATA has indeed not repainted all (or nearly all) of their older buses.  Like any agency, WMATA has a lot more local buses than express buses.  That said, if all (or most) of WMATA buses were branded, you'd see more of the local buses on express routes and vice-versa.  Your statement threw me a bit.  Why is express branding a waste, but you support expanding the branding thing even further to limited buses. 

Annex4421

I look at it like this, it really doesn't make a difference, I mean don't act like this is something new, I mean look at the pike ride buses they're a waste also because they tend to appear on other routes also the 38B branding buses, and the 9S buses. I have seen all them buses appear on routes other than the ones they're assigned too right? So if you say the Express scheme is a waste you might as well say the same thing about the Pike-Ride/38B/9S buses, and lets not forget the Metroextra's which appear on routes other than the 79, so basicly what Im saying is if one paint scheme is a waste then the Orion VII banners are a waste too.



WayneNYC

Absolutely.  Yes, I think the 9S, Pike Ride, 38B etc. on Four Mile buses are a waste too seeing as they often show up any other NoVA route.  Same with MetroExtra.  Again, I understand that on some occasions a bus may have to used elsewhere, but if it's going to be standard operating practice on a daily basis.... I see no reason to brand them.

btconet

More and more, the branding is appearing to be a "feel good" Corporate decision made without consulting the worker bees to see if it would really work.  Orion Flyer's post about the interlining is an EXCELLENT point.  Interlining is done in order to conserve costs - using the bus you already have in the area to fill a trip on a another line is much cheaper than paying two Operators to make deadheads in opposite directions to and from the Garage.  Someone in WMATA should have caught this nuance that the demand for buses varies directionally, and that the bus isn't simply going to go back on the same line it came from.  When you have a bus system as varied and expansive as WMATA, such an interline is bound to happen throughout the system.

But apparently, the brass wanted pretty branded buses, and didn't try to do the homework, or someone between didn't care to enlighten them since it would derail the brass' vision.  To me, it shows too many levels in the agency and/or very poor systemic knowlege from those making these decisions.

Putting this aside for the rest of my post, I do echo the thought of Southeastern Annex, simply because the EXPRESS label is so inconsistent regarding the fare structure.  The S9 is an "EXPRESS," as is the B30. However, if I'm used to paying $3.10 cash for the B30, and I see this "EXPRESS" bus showing up on the S9 I don't ordinarily ride, and only have $1.50 left on my Smartrip, I am VERY likely to let this bus pass me by to avoid going red on my Smartrip.  If they were really serious about properly differentiating the service levels, they'd have had an intermediate "Rapid" or "Limited" label.

Sadly, I'm guessing they may have discussed this (since LA Metro has a similar 3 color scheme) but tossed it out since the only non-neutral colors they would be willing to entertain being applied to their buses is RED and BLUE.  It would seem they could have done something with SILVER, but I guess the damage is done.

WayneNYC

It definitely sounds like someone came up with the idea of the local/express branding for the new paint scheme, but at the least they should've had someone playing devil's advocate.  Ideally, when something like this is on the table, they'd have people involved from various departments to discuss the pros and cons.  I also agree with the inconsistencies about the expresss label.  I was a victim of this myself when I first moved to the DC area with the Z line limiteds.

This actually could work in a city like New York, since they've chosen to have a dedicated fleet of express buses.  This too, I think is simply overkill to have hundreds of over-the-road coaches to do express service.  That said, it could work there because there's so much express service that many runs are all express work.  There are some runs that part local and express.  These runs usually are such that the bus operator may pull out a local bus for his/her first part and then pull in later to get a coach for his express trips.  Sometimes you'll still see a local bus doing express service because if the bus operator runs late, they'll have him keep his local bus (rather than pulling in for an exchange) for the express trips. 

btconet

I also echo Tritransit's notion about the front of the bus being nondescript to discern the service.

Another head shaker is the use of Blue for Express and Red for Local.  In most cities that use some color on signage to denote express service, the chosen color for EXPRESS is red since it stands out and alerts people, whereas blue is more neutral.

While, yes the buses look nice from a PR perspective, I do sort of wish (presuming they'd properly vetted this whole thing through) they'd have simplifed this scheme where the whole bus was red, silver, or blue with the same sweeping stripes - blue for local, silver for rapid, and red for extra-fare express.  This would address both the front color issue raised by Tritransit, and the Three tier issue raised by Southeastern Annex.

WayneNYC

#11
Quote from: btconet on January 26, 2010, 02:49:47 PM
I also echo Tritransit's notion about the front of the bus being nondescript to discern the service.


This is true.  They seem to have indicated Express or Local everywhere except the front end.  The front end is a bit busy already but, maybe they could've used some white lettering on the windshield just below the route number???






Tristan

I guess they figured the headsign would do the trick.  There are so many things WMATA could do to make the system simpler, especially in terms of limited/express routes, and it's hard to stop at the paint scheme -- clear and uniform route designations would also make a big difference.

Tritransit Area

Quote from: Tristan on January 27, 2010, 08:05:39 AM
I guess they figured the headsign would do the trick.  There are so many things WMATA could do to make the system simpler, especially in terms of limited/express routes, and it's hard to stop at the paint scheme -- clear and uniform route designations would also make a big difference.

Oh yes, one musn't forget the "Pimp-My-Ride"-ness of the signs, as they are multi-colored!  That one made my jaw drop...why did the board desire left side signs and multicolored front and rear signs on "Express" or "Rapid" buses only?  If we have to ask, did they accomplish their task?

I must agree with Tristan, though, that WMATA needs to re-evaluate their Express designations if they are trying to make the system easier to use.  In my opinion, they are starting to make it confusing...

To be honest, I don't mind the other bus brandings like the 9S and 16 Pike Ride.  I see them as advertisements more than anything, and it makes the Orion VIIs a tad more interesting.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

RailBus63

I'm not a fan of bus branding unless the vehicles can be strictly segregated to a specific service.  That said, if WMATA was set on implementing this eventually and wanted to have new buses already painted, they should have done so but left off the 'LOCAL' and 'EXPRESS' lettering until enough older buses were repainted.