News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

VA State Transit Roadeo

Started by Flxible, January 11, 2010, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Flxible

It's happening on March 20th and 21st, and I will be coming up to Alexandria that weekend with my wife Beth to help with judging.  So if anyone is available to do some good old fashioned busfanning, I'm game.  What are my chances of still catching a Flx at that time, and on what routes?  Logic tells me weekday peak service is my best bet, so I will arrive on that Friday.

Looking forward to coming back up to my 2nd home for the first time since 2006!
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

WayneNYC

Hey Fred,

As you must know... the numbers are dropping fast.  IMO, your best bet for a Flxible is Silver Spring.  There you can the remaining Metro-Ds and some of the Es based at Montgomery.  Also, you may find one of the remaining Metro-Bs on Montgomery and Landover routes (F4, F6) at Silver Spring.

aznboy4305

Alexandria? Where is this roadeo taking place?

C40LF_2464

Well since youre coming on a weekend your out of luck.Thats the 2 days of rest for them. And something tells me they could be gone by then.

Tristan

In here.

(The DASH facility...yes, an indoor roadeo.)

Tritransit Area

Quote from: Flxible on January 11, 2010, 03:37:40 PM
It's happening on March 20th and 21st, and I will be coming up to Alexandria that weekend with my wife Beth to help with judging.  So if anyone is available to do some good old fashioned busfanning, I'm game.  What are my chances of still catching a Flx at that time, and on what routes?  Logic tells me weekday peak service is my best bet, so I will arrive on that Friday.

Looking forward to coming back up to my 2nd home for the first time since 2006!

Hurray! Welcome back!  Now, honestly, weekday peak hours is your ONLY bet nowadays.  However, they are really easy to find.  Last time I was down there, I had no problems finding them....in Maryland!  Don't Flx hunt in Virginia, because they ain't there.

Montgomery County, particularly Silver Spring, like Wayne said, are the best places to find Flxes.  PG County is running the 35 footers as well.  You might find a few that make their way into DC.

I really can't believe that the Flx era is just about gone.  WMATA without Flxes is like NYMTA without RTSs, NJT without Flxes, and SEPTA without Neoplans....
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Transport

I saw Flxs this evening (Jan. 13) on the H1 and L4 routes near the Florida/Conn. Aves intersection north of Dupont.