News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

CNG Buses

Started by Annex4421, January 05, 2010, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Annex4421

I've heard that CNG buses only last for 12 years, if so that means the C40LF's have 3 years left in them, and they were my number 1 pic to debut out of the new SE facility in 2 years, so if CNG's last for 12 years if this is true, then why doesn't agencies just stick to hybrids or clean diseals?



Antozilla

There is no such thing as a clean diesel and have you factored in rehab?  How long until I am free of the Orion VIIs?

Nabinut

That 12 year rule only applies to buses built before 2000. Since then, it's been extended to 18 years

OrionFlyer

I think the C40LFs are going to be around for a long time. They're in good shape.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Tritransit Area

Honestly, I think those C40LFs are one of WMATA's best running buses!  I never hear anything bad about them.

By the way, the "12 year rule" really applies to the tanks, rather than the bus itself.  As Nabinut said, later buses were built with tanks that could last longer, although I thought it was only 15 years.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult, however, to simply replace the tanks, would it?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Annex4421

Quote from: Antozilla on January 05, 2010, 08:27:26 AM
There is no such thing as a clean diesel and have you factored in rehab?  How long until I am free of the Orion VIIs?
What do you think the D40LFRs and the Gillig Advantages are, they don't leave behind stinky smells like the flxibles, and about the Orion VII's you might want to ask metro on that one you might stuck with forever.



Tristan

Antonzilla is just being "political" - he knows that there is a technology called "clean diesel", he just doesn't agree that diesel could be considered clean no matter how clean it actually is.

Thought I'd put that out there now to stem any long, drawn out discussion over stuff everyone knows already.