News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Early Metrorail Closing on New Year's Day

Started by Scrabbleship, December 17, 2009, 12:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Scrabbleship

I just know how much y'all love Twitter citations and Greater Greater Washington citations, but they're just the messenger from words out of John Catoe's mouth at today's WMATA CSOS meeting. For the time being, Metrorail is due to close at Midnight on Friday 1/1/10 instead of the regular 3:00 AM.

Though they're looking to run it to the regular 3:00 AM Friday closing, might this be a false alarm (probably) or the start of a new trend in which other days take it on the chin to provide enhanced service other nights? The last time New Year's Day fell on a Friday/Saturday (2005), Metro ran its regular Saturday service if that says anything.

Antozilla

12 midnight on 01/01/10 is no big deal.  The problem was midnight on 12/31/09. So no worries

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Antozilla on December 17, 2009, 01:13:59 PM
12 midnight on 01/01/10 is no big deal.  The problem was midnight on 12/31/09. So no worries

I had meant more the possible trend of closing early on New Year's Day to make up for staying open late on New Year's Eve. I guess we'll see what actually happens though it'd make no sense to close early on New Year's Day since it falls on a Friday. The last year January 1st was a Friday was 1999, before Metro decided to "stay up late" on Fridays/Saturdays.

Antozilla

I can live with that.  In these tough fiscal times we have to make tough fiscal decisions and I don't want to pay more tax.

Perry

Isn't January 1 a Sunday Schedule?  Then Sunday Schedules apply.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Perry on December 17, 2009, 09:48:50 PM
Isn't January 1 a Sunday Schedule?  Then Sunday Schedules apply.

The thing is this is the first time that January 1 has fallen on a Friday since the weekend closing time was extended. The one case that it fell on a Saturday (2005), Metro's archives show that they had a regular Saturday schedule.

Perry

When a holiday falls on a weekend, it's easier to just operate it at whatever day type that is, but on Friday with the Government closed and other businesses that end up causing them to operate a Sunday schedule, they just follow that pattern.  Why go through the hassle of running extra service and having to have a different holiday bid go out for one lousy day.

By the way, we're running extra service for New Year's Eve, but we're not sending tax bills out to every resident of Las Vegas to pay for it.

Scrabbleship

Another consequence might be seen in one of today's posts from the Post's Dr. Gridlock:

New Year's Eve. Metrorail's current plan is to open at 5 a.m., operate on a weekday schedule, and stay open two hours late, closing at 2 a.m. Jan 1., to accommodate revelers. Metrobus will operate on a Sunday schedule. MetroAccess will operate normally.

This might be (and probably is) a typo, but if it's true it will be an inconvenience for many since New Year's Eve is not a holiday and that last year Metrobus ran regular weekday service.

btconet

I can see the logic behind the Sunday service on 1/1.  Had they operated an extra Saturday service on 1/1, it would probably cause some significant problems unionwise, as well as being more expensive to operate.

I wouldn't say I agree with running a Sunday bus schedule on 12/31.  I could see a Saturday schedule, but a Sunday seems troublesome for this day.  Wouldn't it be odd though if PG "The Bus" was running in places where DC Metro wasn't on 12/31???

WMATAGMOAGH

WMATA has always run Sunday service on New Years' Day regardless of what day of the week it falls as far as I can recall. 

Tritransit Area

What do people in DC do on New Years Eve/Day?  Do they hold any festivities that would warrant latenight WMATA service?

Ride On...I think they are running extra late night service, no?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WMATAGMOAGH

I think there are some First Night celebrations in the suburban communities, and I'm sure Georgetown is a scene, but I can't think of any big gathering like in Times Square.  It is funny you ask and I have to rack my brain to think about it, (Gregorian) New Years' isn't a big event in my family.

Perry

There used to be the revealing of the "Love" stamp at the Old Post Office and I think that was DC's way of trying to garnish some sort of organized New Year's, but I think most people just gravitate towards hotels, bars and other places where lots of people congregate.   I'm looking forward to looking out of my bedroom window south towards the Strip and see the fireworks.  Great thing about living in a place that's completely flat is that you can see for miles!

WMATAGMOAGH

Official word from Metro on their website: Closing at 2 AM on January 1 (technically Saturday, January 2), which is an hour earlier than normal.  Service will run until 2 AM the day before as well.

Perry

One less thing for Jason to complain about now!