News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

December Service Changes

Started by 79MetroExtraMD, December 02, 2009, 01:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

79MetroExtraMD

If it was not mentioned here already, here it is. The Q2 will be restructured into 5 different routes effective 27 December 2009. The routes are as follows: Q1, Q2, Q4, Q5, Q6.

Q1: Shady Grove to Silver Spring (bypassing Montgomery College-Rockville)
Q2: same route as usual
Q4: Rockville to Silver Spring
Q5: Shady Grove to Wheaton (bypassing Montgomery College-Rockville)
Q6: Shady Grove to Wheaton

After looking at the schedule, the Q1 and Q2 will only run AM rush and late evening. The Q2 northbound in the AM will short trip at MC Rockville, the Q1 will run the full gamut to Shady Grove. The Q4 and Q6 will run middays with combined 15 minute service along Veirs Mill Road (30 min headways for each branch). AM and PM rush hour periods will have combined 7-10 minute intervals along Veirs Mill. There is not a limited stop Q9 in this pick (guessing that will be postponed until 2010).
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Annex4421

Jesus all those Q's I hope it helps.



79MetroExtraMD

I found a few more changes.

28X: New limited stop peak service between Bailey's Crossroads and Tysons Corner.
D line: D3 discontinued. D1 will operate between Federal Triangle and Glover Park.
D5, D6: Timetables combined into single timetable. Same routes (possibly to save paper with having to print two different schedules for essentially the same corridor).
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tristan

I figured they wouldn't go with the Q2A/Q2B thing -- in fact, I started to post on that when someone said it would be confusing but my browser froze and I just never went back.  It was probably just for discussion purposes.

Bout time for the 28X -- they kept putting signs up saying "let's talk about service on the 28A and 28B" and I'm thinking "We've talked about it three times already and you haven't even made minor adjustments, much less the express route!"  But anyway...I wonder if it gets another new name and paint scheme.

WayneNYC

All of those Q's.  One thing for sure is that WMATA knows how to create confusion on their routes.  This is right up there with all of the Y's.  I know some may disagree, but keep in mind... This needs to be well thought out for Joe/Jane Rider and not transit fans.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tristan on December 02, 2009, 03:59:42 PM
I figured they wouldn't go with the Q2A/Q2B thing -- in fact, I started to post on that when someone said it would be confusing but my browser froze and I just never went back.  It was probably just for discussion purposes.

Bout time for the 28X -- they kept putting signs up saying "let's talk about service on the 28A and 28B" and I'm thinking "We've talked about it three times already and you haven't even made minor adjustments, much less the express route!"  But anyway...I wonder if it gets another new name and paint scheme.
It's just Bailey's to Tysons for now. I mean the 28T already provides rush hour service along the WFC to Tysons portion. I thought they were going to go the full Monty down to King Street.

As for now, these were the changes I've seen so far as they start posting the new timetables online.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WayneNYC on December 02, 2009, 05:05:16 PM
All of those Q's.  One thing for sure is that WMATA knows how to create confusion on their routes.  This is right up there with all of the Y's.  I know some may disagree, but keep in mind... This needs to be well thought out for Joe/Jane Rider and not transit fans.
I feel ya. I'm still trying to get a system down for the new Q line. I'm so used to having just one line that 5 just makes it feel like another Y line. I think what I put in the first post kinda narrows down what the service will be but we have to see come the 27th how this all pans out (passenger and operator wise).
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

IT'S ABOUT TIME we get a renovation on the Q line. Hey Ken, here's the picture I promised...




SO FAR...these new signs can be found from Shady Grove Station (or the stop after that, I wasn't paying attention until Montgomery College) up to Viers Mill Rd and Dodge St (but not at Rockville Station yet and not at Dodge St going northbound)

The odd thing about this picture is, this was taken at Viers Mill Rd and Dodge St in the southbound direction. Here's the thing, this is the stop IMMEDIATELY after Rockville Station, why is there a C4 on the sign???
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

79MetroExtraMD

Someone must've put up the sign meant for south of Randolph Road here instead of the one with just the Q routes on them. Happens. I've noticed the newer signs are more rounded on the edges (hinting a possible redo of the signage). Now, just get these suckers to be reflective and you have a sign.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on December 02, 2009, 06:23:14 PM
Someone must've put up the sign meant for south of Randolph Road here instead of the one with just the Q routes on them. Happens. I've noticed the newer signs are more rounded on the edges (hinting a possible redo of the signage). Now, just get these suckers to be reflective and you have a sign.

yeah I noticed that about the new signs as well...and these ARE reflective
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

79MetroExtraMD

All trips will still operate the west side of Rockville Station.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tritransit Area

What is the "main" Y route?   The Y8?

Oh my, they sure made this Q thing confusing as heck.  I guess once people get used to it, it will work well.  Of course, they could stand to use a good P/R campaign for what will soon be known as the Q's
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 02, 2009, 09:02:44 PM
What is the "main" Y route?   The Y8?

I believe it's the Y5 since it goes into all out-of-the-way areas like leisure world and norbeck park and ride, etc...
the Y9 would be the one that bypasses all those areas, same with the Y8 except that one goes to Leisure World and short-trips there on weekends

Quote from: Tritransit Area on December 02, 2009, 09:02:44 PM
Oh my, they sure made this Q thing confusing as heck.  I guess once people get used to it, it will work well.  Of course, they could stand to use a good P/R campaign for what will soon be known as the Q's

as a frequent Q2 rider, I expect a large amount of confusion the day the new Q line kicks into effect, which is why people should be notified on these changes ahead of time
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

OrionFlyer

The Y routes of Viers Mill Rd, is basically what this is. And I like it. Hopefully this overhaul works, but confusion will be inevitable.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

OrionFlyer

I just looked at the new 28 schedule, and it doesn't look like the 28X its going to help much. Also, no more 28B.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.