News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Metro Donates Metro-Bs to Homeless

Started by Tristan, November 23, 2009, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tristan


Annex4421

Well its good to see them getting a 2nd chance a life.



WES

Apparently WMATA doesn't even know how old their buses are.  Those are 1990 models, not 1994.  Shows how much they know about their own fleet.

Anyways it's a good thing that they saving these buses for another purpose instead of sending them to the scrap heap.  As long as they can run, save a few more.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

Tristan

Yea I was wondering which two Metro-Es they're handing over, then I read the numbers, and...I guess at work I didn't put 2 and 2 2gether.

Tritransit Area

I laughed quite heartily when I read about the "15 year old" buses.  Either they don't know their own fleet or they REALLY don't want to admit that these buses are old enough to vote.

Plus, that scheme is from the 80's, not the early 90's. 

I'll miss those two buses, especially 9489, since I actually rode and photographed that bus on the good old 1Z.  It's great that they will continue to serve the community outside of Metrobus duty (and remain in their delivery scheme to boot!).  Thanks for the uplifting article!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Tristan

Wasn't I with you on that trip, when the driver was BALLING down Wilson Blvd and crossing pavement markings and whatnot like they didn't exist?  One of the best rides I ever had on a Metro-B.

Tritransit Area

Yes indeed!  I think that was the first and only time I rode a Metro B (especially one with an ISL and a Voith) that may have hit top speed!  It surely was one of the best rides ever!

Ah, the good old days.  Of course, afterwards, we hopped a ride on one of 3 suburban 9600s on the 29K!
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

NewFlyer9736BCT

seriously? 1994 buses? i can see where someone else would get that from since they are in the 9400s but come on, even WMATA got that wrong.

anyways, unfortunately I don't think I ever rode those 2 buses, but at least they'll still do good for the community. I hope some other retirees will get an opportunity like that.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

LandoverDivision

Here's my last pic of 9489. Imma miss both of you guys "cries"!

The REAL Landover Division fan!

Flxible

Very nice!  I remember seeing 9489 working Tysons Corner a few years back and it quickly became my favorite of the 9400 fleet.  I am glad to see that it is being preserved in original 2nd scheme colors. 

Incidentally, I offer custom models of Flxible Metros, including 30 and 35-foot lengths.  Should anyone want a model of either bus, I am willing to donate a percentage of the sale price to help the homeless in the DC area....
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Flxible

Quote from: Tritransit Area on November 23, 2009, 11:52:14 PM
I laughed quite heartily when I read about the "15 year old" buses.  Either they don't know their own fleet or they REALLY don't want to admit that these buses are old enough to vote.

Plus, that scheme is from the 80's, not the early 90's. 

I'll miss those two buses, especially 9489, since I actually rode and photographed that bus on the good old 1Z.  It's great that they will continue to serve the community outside of Metrobus duty (and remain in their delivery scheme to boot!).  Thanks for the uplifting article!

You are mostly right.  The buses are 1990 models, and the "80s" WMATA scheme dates back to 1983 and continued to be ordered on new buses through the mid-1990s.

IIRC, the 3rd scheme came out some time around 1997 and debuted on the 4300s.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Tritransit Area

Quote from: Flxible on November 30, 2009, 08:09:24 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on November 23, 2009, 11:52:14 PM
I laughed quite heartily when I read about the "15 year old" buses.  Either they don't know their own fleet or they REALLY don't want to admit that these buses are old enough to vote.

Plus, that scheme is from the 80's, not the early 90's. 

I'll miss those two buses, especially 9489, since I actually rode and photographed that bus on the good old 1Z.  It's great that they will continue to serve the community outside of Metrobus duty (and remain in their delivery scheme to boot!).  Thanks for the uplifting article!

You are mostly right.  The buses are 1990 models, and the "80s" WMATA scheme dates back to 1983 and continued to be ordered on new buses through the mid-1990s.

IIRC, the 3rd scheme came out some time around 1997 and debuted on the 4300s.

Hmm, were the 9500s the first ones to wear that scheme?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

C40LF_2464

Dang nice to see that they spared them! Im glad to see these wont be gone because i was crying for 9489 the other day and they removed the black from it to. I might just go and act homeless just to ride these buses.