News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Are NABIs still on the U8?

Started by Tritransit Area, November 22, 2009, 02:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WayneNYC

#30
Quote from: LandoverDivision on December 06, 2009, 05:40:11 PM
Quote from: Tristan on December 06, 2009, 04:47:56 PM
Uh...if I claim that you said the DE42LFAs are the best buses ever....that has nothing to do with "my" opinion.  I was being hyperbolic in saying that, but it's no secret that you are a big fan of the LFAs, which you admitted yourself.  And that's no problem and there's no criticism on that...I was just wondering why you say that the DE42/62LFAs are so great but the NABIs suck.  The reasons you gave ("too big and heavy?") are the very same reasons many people here criticize the LFA purchase, but their claims are substantiated...how is the 60-BRT "too big" when it is a 60-foot bus, just like any other 60-foot bus?

Just like the 42LFA is basically a 40 foot bus. The NABI 60-BRT is actually wider (on the inside) than a 62LFA. The 60-BRTs are stil the largest buses WMATA has. Just like you guys hate the LFAs and love the 60-BRTs. I'm just wondering why that is and that's why I asked how does your opinions work. I know you guys talk about "wasted space" but it's nothing but a 40 foot bus. Very smooth riding bus too.

@Wayne: Aren't they trained to manuever these buses well? Landover bus drivers have been able to manuever these buses perfectly. Anyways, we know T/As have thier share of problems, but here's what Annex is saying: You guys seem to get on WMATA like thier the ONLY one with problems. Ride-On, DASH, FFX, The Bus etc. has their problems too. Let's talk about thier downs for once.

Again, I'd be the last one to get on WMATA about something. Things happen so what? I'm a regular rider and they get me where I need to go. Maybe not on-time all the time but I depend on them everytime even if the bus/train is late.

I absolutly despise the so called "transit buses" The Bus has but I'd be the last one to talk about them. They are trustworthy. At time we have to depend on The Bus to get where we need to go. Here's what I say: if you ride Metrobus on a daily, don't talk about them and down them, respect what they do and respect what they buy.

Landoverdivision - As I (and others) have said... Some of you take some of our preferences and opinions way too personally.  To me the whole LFA debate is not about WMATA.  I think the bus itself is a waste, so I'd question any agency that buy them.  However, I'm not around those agencies to speak on them.  If Ride On (or the others) bought LFAs over a standard bus in the same size class, I'd say the same as I've been saying.  Yes, I would have to agree with you that the bus operators are trained to safely operate the LFAs with their 2 feet extra length.  That said, it still doesn't excuse the fact that you're operating a bigger vehicle (even 2 feet).  I'm not necessarily against a longer vehicle.  In fact if there's a functional advantage, I'm OK with them.  A good example is the NABI-45 CompoBus.  Longer bus, yes, but it also expands on the interior space which obviously will accomodate more standees as well as additional seating.  That said, one could argue that it's worth the extra cost and materials. 

It's too bad that some of you see the opinions of some of us as being anti-WMATA.  Again, I think you're taking it personally.  You get into this thing that it's just a bus, and it gets you to where you need to go and so on, and so on.  That's not even what we're saying, which in my opinion means you're throwing up a smoke screen. 

Scrabbleship

I know in November 2008 the 60-BRT's ran on Saturdays on the U8. Since I'm never in U8 territory, I don't know if they still do (I would think so unless WMATA wants to keep the mileage down for when they can run them on the X2).

Tristan

#32
Wayne, I can sort of see where Landover feels that we're being anti-WMATA.  I, for one, did criticize WMATA heavily for an experience I've had (which is STILL going on)...I said nothing incorrect or wrong, and I was taking issue with this "New Metrobus" marketing campaign that sort of feels like getting smoke blown up my ass because the same BS problems still occur...the only thing "new" about it is that they wasted money on these excessive buses. 

I think that's where he's making the connection, but as you said, I would say the same thing (about the LFAs) if DASH bought these buses...but that would almost certainly never happen.  The "anti-WMATA" sentiment is around the "New Metrobus" campaign...which I split off into a new topic weeks ago.

"If you ride Metrobus on a daily, don't talk about them and down them, respect what they do and respect what they buy."
@Landover, your opinion is your opinion and you're entitled to it, but...it doesn't make any sense!  It's the DAILY RIDERS who have the MOST latitude to ask for better service, and ... NO, we DON'T have to agree with every equipment purchase they make.  Hell, I'm not even asking for BETTER service, I'm just asking them to provide the service they SAY they are going to provide, and if they can't, they should say something else (adjust the schedule accordingly) -- that's what any good transit system would do if a bus runs consistently late: adjust the schedule for better performance.  If you're happy with unreliable service and excessive equipment, that's your prerogative and I'm glad you're satisfied, but you can't attack people who are dissatisfied...at least, I don't see how you can blame them.  I'm just not buying this pledge of allegiance to WMATA thing of yours.