News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

"The New Metrobus?"

Started by Antozilla, November 10, 2009, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tristan

Yea that would work better - I was looking for a same-year Allison-based hybrid in the DC area to put up against an LFA but didn't even think about Baltimore.  So would a lighter but not aerodynamic Baltimore 9000-series NF Hybrid do better on fuel economy than a heavier but more aerodynamic WMATA DE42LFA?

Of course, we don't really know the answer, but it's food for thought.

aznboy4305

I don't think the LFAs would be that much better aerodynamically, especially at average transit speeds. There's a lot of mass in a bus too that provides plenty of momentum that would overcome most air resistance that would encounter a bus in normal transit operations, so any savings in drag reduction would be almost negligible I would think. Of course any savings in air resistance may be more substantial out in the country and on the highway as air resistance force does increase exponentially with speed.

LandoverDivision

Artics at Landover are a waste? Seriously do you listen to yourself? Service is NOT going to increase here so why don't WMATA get artics for let's say every division? Maybe rebuild some of them so they can fit artics? WES how do you live here and still don't know Landover needs artics?

And stop complaining about the LFAs. There's nothing wrong with them. All this crap about tax dollars is making me sick. Your tax dollars get spend on numerous things like streets and houses an things. The government wastes it once in a while on things but all you guys care about is how Metro spends it. Look at the other things your money gets spent on yet you bag on the LFAs. Wow just wow. Just like every other transit agency in America, they get whatever buses they want. Be glad you guys actually have a good T/A here. People around the country wish they had our buses or our kind of service. Just my opinion.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: LandoverDivision on November 13, 2009, 07:06:16 PM
Artics at Landover are a waste? Seriously do you listen to yourself? Service is NOT going to increase here so why don't WMATA get artics for let's say every division? Maybe rebuild some of them so they can fit artics? WES how do you live here and still don't know Landover needs artics?

And stop complaining about the LFAs. There's nothing wrong with them. All this crap about tax dollars is making me sick. Your tax dollars get spend on numerous things like streets and houses an things. The government wastes it once in a while on things but all you guys care about is how Metro spends it. Look at the other things your money gets spent on yet you bag on the LFAs. Wow just wow. Just like every other transit agency in America, they get whatever buses they want. Be glad you guys actually have a good T/A here. People around the country wish they had our buses or our kind of service. Just my opinion.
First of all, every garage doesn't need tics. Northern, Montgomery, and Bladensburg have high priority routes that need them. Western can't fit anything else there (I've been inside there and it's that small and even maneuvering around in a regular bus is a tight fit), Annex is just too antiquated and small (plus they can't handle hybrids due to the height restrictions), Four Mile had 2 just for the 5A, no other route really needed them because most of the routes overlap each other and provide good service, and West Ox definitely doesn't need them because they don't run too many high traffic routes (plus they're weekday only).

Secondly, you can't just tell someone to stop complaining about something just because you don't like it.

Thirdly, I'm pretty sure you're too young to even pay taxes like the rest of us, so don't even say that all of the dollars are going to waste where you obviously don't see the full picture.

Fourthly, TAs buy buses that have the lowest costs and they provide specifications to what they want. They choose the lowest bid to save money and to ensure a good number of buses they want. Lest we forget, WMATA receives federal grants from the FTA.

Fifthly, chill out.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tristan

Yes but it so happens that the name of this website is the DC Area TRANSIT Zone, so we talk about TRANSIT...and if we want to have a HEALTHY, CIVILIZED discussion where there might be some criticism of something, that's our prerogative. 

But it is not YOUR prerogative to come here and terminate discussions.  You are NOT entitled to tell people to "shut up" and "change the subject" simply because you don't like the topic.  Who made you guardian angel of the message boards where you feel like you have to come in here and end discussions??

Everyone here has the ability to SKIP THE THREAD if you DON'T WANT TO READ IT.  THAT is the option you have; if you do not exercise it, you surrender your right to tell other people to stop talking about it.

ALL MEMBERS OF DCATZ: This is the LAST time I will state this.  I JUST deleted where I had to explain this PUBLICLY to ANOTHER member today, and now I have to say it again.  ANY MEMBER who feels the need to hijack a thread and tell people to stop that subject of conversation simply because *THEY* don't like the topic will be subject to IMMEDIATE and PERMANENT membership deletion.  This is the final warning and we will not show mercy on this as I have with other issues, because showing mercy has not worked.

Annex4421

#35
Exactly more people come to and go from Maryland, even my sister who hasn't rode a Metrobus in a while said PG needs service increase or longer buses. What does some of the forum fam have against artics? How do you vote for 3 door artics for the X2 knowing it doesn't need it but go against some divisions needing them. Ok I see yeah increase of service in PG County would be awsome, but think about it, more service = more people more dependent on WMATA which means more artics will be needed plus WMATA having more money. Brandon is right just about every division needs artics and some needs to get rebuilt to fit them. ALL I'm saying is increase service or the bus size one or the other. Another option could be a limited stop route but that might not work (Look at the 70, 71, 79). So its kinda of a argument for both sides. And stop with this LFA BS I understand some of the Fam hates them or dislikes them they're good buses ok it looks different and?.... at least some of you guys can actually see them without leaving your house or area etc. I live in southeast on the Annex line and the best thing we have are the D40LFR's. I mean I love them but it would be nice to see something different here but I live on an outdated garage and I may never see new buses again in my area but you don't see me complaining or moaning. *sigh* sorry about the 500 word essay but I jus needed to express and opinion. I'm not knocking anybody's opinion either.



WES

#36
Quote from: LandoverDivision on November 13, 2009, 07:06:16 PM
Artics at Landover are a waste? Seriously do you listen to yourself? Service is NOT going to increase here so why don't WMATA get artics for let's say every division? Maybe rebuild some of them so they can fit artics? WES how do you live here and still don't know Landover needs artics?

And stop complaining about the LFAs. There's nothing wrong with them. All this crap about tax dollars is making me sick. Your tax dollars get spend on numerous things like streets and houses an things. The government wastes it once in a while on things but all you guys care about is how Metro spends it. Look at the other things your money gets spent on yet you bag on the LFAs. Wow just wow. Just like every other transit agency in America, they get whatever buses they want. Be glad you guys actually have a good T/A here. People around the country wish they had our buses or our kind of service. Just my opinion.


Did you read the whole post or just pick and chose what you felt you wanted to see.  I don't use all caps to make my point but understand...........


I SAID THAT LANDOVER ROUTES WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF THEY WERE INCREASED BUT DUE TO THE FACT THAT WMATA IS HAVING BUDGET PROBLEMS USING ARTICS IN THE SHORT RUN WOULD BE BETTER.

I don't know what your problem is and really I don't care, if you cannot read posts properly and respond to them with constructive criticism then don't read my posts.

UNDERSTAND.

Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

Tritransit Area

I kinda miss the old Metrobus before these newfangled hybrids started showing up, and before Silver Spring was torn down.  I miss the days where my bus stop box gave me a listing of all the departures from my specific stop, rather than just a full schedule, leaving it up to me to figure out when the bus comes.  I miss the woodgrain interior and over-plush seats.  I miss transmissions like Voith!

I hope this "new" Metrobus isn't just some stupid "look at me" and actually has some substance.  Does anyone know if the K6 is overrun with these LFAs yet?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Annex4421

#38
Quote from: RailBus63 on November 13, 2009, 10:29:00 AM
Quote from: Annex4421 on November 11, 2009, 05:24:47 PM
So if you don't like how public transportaion runs then DON'T RIDE IT, otherwise deal with it don't talk if you don't want to do anything about it to change it.

This is nonsense.  People have a right to complain about poor service.  And it's not just one person's opinion - there have been plenty of media reports about how poor Metrobus service is (check out this Washington Post article from 2005).

Are you related to John Catoe or some other WMATA bigwig?  You're awfully sensitive to criticism of the agency.
1st of all I never said people diddn't have a right to complain, I said if you diddn't like it the don't ride the buses, and not all metrobus service is "poor" ok a bus is late, but not always, I live in DC so maybe the service isn't like how it is in MD but the samething Tristan said about waiting 20 minutes extra for a bus does make sense and it is true so how is it what I said is nonsense I just stated my opinion, oh and I don't have to be related to someone to defend the agency unlike some people I actually appriciate what we have yes I do wish WMATA was better and would spend they're money wisely but they do what they want with they're money, LIKE I SAID YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON T RIDE IT. We basicly can't do anything about it just sitting here talking smack lets get together and start a petition or something.



LandoverDivision

Quote from: WES on November 13, 2009, 10:37:52 PM


Did you read the whole post or just pick and chose what you felt you wanted to see.  I don't use all caps to make my point but understand...........


I SAID THAT LANDOVER ROUTES WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF THEY WERE INCREASED BUT DUE TO THE FACT THAT WMATA IS HAVING BUDGET PROBLEMS USING ARTICS IN THE SHORT RUN WOULD BE BETTER.

I don't know what your problem is and really I don't care, if you cannot read posts properly and respond to them with constructive criticism then don't read my posts.

UNDERSTAND.



First of all don't say understand like you're my father or something. Second, Landover is better off with tics because there will NEVER be a service increase here. And I really don't care what your problem is. But don't sit up here and talk to me like I'm one of your lil friends. And for Ken, I'm 18 and I've had 4 jobs so I think I do have a right to complain about tax dollars also since I help my mother pay her bills so before you start saying I'm too young to complain about tax dollars (in which I'm not really doing) know your facts first before saying something.
The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tritransit Area

#40
EVERYONE!  Please calm down and stop acting as if WMATA's taking artics from Landover to run full time on the U4....

PG peeps - band together and make sure someone who has a clue is in office.  If that doesn't work, hound the heck out of council and whatever.  Y'all need better transit service.  It's pitiful down there, especially with the amount of people that rely on transit, but I question the amount of people that really get active in their government in that county so that they can make sure that decent bus service is provided for the community.  You'd be surprised who will listen...especially in election season.

I think WMATA should be ashamed of itself, particularly in its WMATAbus division.  Just about every municipality in the area has its own substantial fixed route transit service...transit service that these very municipalities are supposed to pay WMATA to do.  I'm not saying that it's bad that they fill holes, but my goodness - WMATA-sized buses are everywhere!  That's UNHEARD of up here!  Why is WMATA not doing its job properly, especially with the operation of the Purple Line potentially going to B-more MTA *shudder*.

Finally, I wish your TA's in the area would work together to have regional weekly/monthly passes.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was a significant amount of people that used multiple systems.  Do y'all accept each other's passes?

BTW, I'm still mad that there are no daypasses down there...  Even SEPTA realized the error of its ways and came out with a great daypass good for all of its modes!  When will WMATA revisit this?

Hold your legislators accountable and you will see changes.

In fact, Landover division people...the county could probably do a good overhaul of PG THE BUS, eliminating duplicating [with WMATA] routes and revise others and free up some money for better WMATA service.  Outside of the obvious F4 and overcrowding, what are other problem PG routes?

Does WMATA have public hearings?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WES

I think if civilized people can have a civilized discussion then somethings can get done, it's how you carry yourself and present yourself to others.  If you present yourself in a wrong way then people will not listen.  If you present yourself in a civilized manner then they will take a note on your arguement.  Unfortunately some people can't think that way and I am not going to stoop myself to someone's level who thinks that arguing nonsense is the best way to get their point across.

With that said.......

The problem with PG is the fact that those in the gubment don't really listen to the people.  It took THREE expose's from Fox 5 before THE BUS started to fly right.  It shouldn't take that many of them to change someone's behavior.  THE BUS has problems, and they have improved themselves greatly but they have a long ways to go.  Now that the economy is bad, increasing bus service isn't going to happen now.  With that said some of THE BUS's routes should be changed now or better coordinated with WMATA routes that run along the same line so there can be less waits between buses or rerouted to serve customers, noone has tapped yet.  The 14 for example runs along the F4 and I am not an expert on that line, but if it runs like the other THE BUS routes then it probably runs a few minutes before an F4 comes, which in this instance would be a good thing.

Actually I have sent a complaint letter to the county executive and where did that get me............it was sent to THE BUS and I never got a reply back.

I think for PG to change themselves on stuff like transit, they have to start listening to their constituents more.  I have said that THE BUS has a HUGE opportunity to have more bus routes, improve it's service and create the situation to gain more riders.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: LandoverDivision on November 20, 2009, 02:16:24 PM
Quote from: WES on November 13, 2009, 10:37:52 PM


Did you read the whole post or just pick and chose what you felt you wanted to see.  I don't use all caps to make my point but understand...........


I SAID THAT LANDOVER ROUTES WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF THEY WERE INCREASED BUT DUE TO THE FACT THAT WMATA IS HAVING BUDGET PROBLEMS USING ARTICS IN THE SHORT RUN WOULD BE BETTER.

I don't know what your problem is and really I don't care, if you cannot read posts properly and respond to them with constructive criticism then don't read my posts.

UNDERSTAND.



First of all don't say understand like you're my father or something. Second, Landover is better off with tics because there will NEVER be a service increase here. And I really don't care what your problem is. But don't sit up here and talk to me like I'm one of your lil friends. And for Ken, I'm 18 and I've had 4 jobs so I think I do have a right to complain about tax dollars also since I help my mother pay her bills so before you start saying I'm too young to complain about tax dollars (in which I'm not really doing) know your facts first before saying something.
I smell a ban looming.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tritransit Area

Quote from: WES on November 21, 2009, 01:42:04 AM
I think if civilized people can have a civilized discussion then somethings can get done, it's how you carry yourself and present yourself to others.  If you present yourself in a wrong way then people will not listen.  If you present yourself in a civilized manner then they will take a note on your argument.  Unfortunately some people can't think that way and I am not going to stoop myself to someone's level who thinks that arguing nonsense is the best way to get their point across.

With that said.......

The problem with PG is the fact that those in the gubment don't really listen to the people.  It took THREE expose's from Fox 5 before THE BUS started to fly right.  It shouldn't take that many of them to change someone's behavior.  THE BUS has problems, and they have improved themselves greatly but they have a long ways to go.  Now that the economy is bad, increasing bus service isn't going to happen now.  With that said some of THE BUS's routes should be changed now or better coordinated with WMATA routes that run along the same line so there can be less waits between buses or rerouted to serve customers, noone has tapped yet.  The 14 for example runs along the F4 and I am not an expert on that line, but if it runs like the other THE BUS routes then it probably runs a few minutes before an F4 comes, which in this instance would be a good thing.

Actually I have sent a complaint letter to the county executive and where did that get me............it was sent to THE BUS and I never got a reply back.

I think for PG to change themselves on stuff like transit, they have to start listening to their constituents more.  I have said that THE BUS has a HUGE opportunity to have more bus routes, improve it's service and create the situation to gain more riders.

Gosh, it's a shame that PG County is set up in such a manner.  It is just sooooo ripe for good development in land use and transit, and I'm sorry to learn that your government officials don't care as much as they should.  I guess with PA having most of its strength in smaller townships and boroughs, rather than just the county, it can be a bit different.  I'm still learning, though!

Is there a flaw in how WMATA is funded, where they can't provide adequate service where a THE BUS route running along a WMATA route, improving the general headways, isn't necessary?  It seems like WMATA has set itself up to be a VERY expensive system (which makes sense since it serves our nation's capital), but it can't keep things in decent repair and accomodate the growth of the area.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

LandoverDivision

Ok you guys talk about "Oh why can't WMATA increase service before they start buying fancy buses?" Didn't you guys say that WMATA isn't in charge of the service? It's up to the county, city government etc. I'm not going to say the new metrobus is perfect but it's improving somethings. It's going to take a while for things to get fixed. We can't all just assume it's going to be fixed in a snap.

More frequent service + more people = more crowding which means and even bigger problems. That's why the 30s got split to begin with. It's not Catoe's fault that some things just can't be fixed overnight you have to give it a lot more time. Not taking up for him or anything, but give him a break. He's doing all he can to try to fix what's broken.

Now for service in PG. I would recommend another T/A be bought about. The Bus is just not working and Metro shouldn't have to be "Real PG County Transit". The PG government should grant The Bus some money so they can have better service, beter buses etc.

Finally I'm sorry for my attitude towards some of you guys. I'm sorry and I got carried away but please I deserve as much respect as the rest of ya'll.
The REAL Landover Division fan!