News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

When will the New Flyer BRT's Hybrids arrive?

Started by OrionFlyer, August 22, 2008, 12:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OrionFlyer

WMATA is supposed to be getting New Flyer BRT's Hybrids- 161 42fts,  22 62fts, and 20 37fts.

When will they arrive?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: NGOrion on August 22, 2008, 12:57:44 PM
WMATA is supposed to be getting New Flyer BRT's Hybrids- 161 42fts,  22 62fts, and 20 37fts.

When will they arrive?

Be patient. They'll come in when they come in. There's still the matter of the 60BRTs to come in.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

OrionFlyer

Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: NGOrion on August 22, 2008, 02:18:10 PM
I know. I'm just anxious.

We all are too. I'm just really anxious about the 60BRTs entering service soon (I hope). Is there a pick coming up soon or not until December?
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

I can wait. As long as the Flxibles are here, I'm content with what we have so far.

...oh I can't help it, I wanna see those new buses in service soon! Hopefully some of the older artics will move to Montgomery (seeing how the Q2 could REALLY use more according to yesterday's experience)
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Scrabbleship

And which experience on the Q2 might this be? The run I rode last night was standing room only leaving Silver Spring and was that way until when I got off right before Wheaton at the Best Buy. It also had a VERY bitter driver (the one white guy at Montgomery who isn't Duffy/Flanders).

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 22, 2008, 06:37:51 PM
And which experience on the Q2 might this be? The run I rode last night was standing room only leaving Silver Spring and was that way until when I got off right before Wheaton at the Best Buy. It also had a VERY bitter driver (the one white guy at Montgomery who isn't Duffy/Flanders).

The Q is busy. I've only seen a couple tics on that line. Most of them are on the Y line and maybe one or two on the J2 and J4 line. Also, during rush hour, most of the westbound Q2s always get backed up in Georgia Avenue/Beltway traffic (the Ys as well) and they mainly leave within a few minutes of each other from Silver Spring. The J line could use a couple more, but its mainly the Z line that really needs tics. As many times as I have ridden the Z8 or Z11, there is always a sea of people on those two stops trying to head up the Pike to White Oak or Castle Blvd even thru late night to the last runs. A good friend of mine, E. Johnson, runs a C8/Z8 run and most of the time runs with a tic because of the capacity and I don't blame him. Hopefully when the DE62LFAs come in, given strategic placement, some of the capacity issues might be allievated a bit.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

RailBus63

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 22, 2008, 01:05:03 PM
There's still the matter of the 60BRTs to come in.

Given that the 60BRT's are from a different manufacturer, that should not have any impact on when the NFI buses arrive.

NewFlyer9736BCT

#8
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 22, 2008, 06:37:51 PM
And which experience on the Q2 might this be? The run I rode last night was standing room only leaving Silver Spring and was that way until when I got off right before Wheaton at the Best Buy. It also had a VERY bitter driver (the one white guy at Montgomery who isn't Duffy/Flanders).
At times (especially late at night and mid day) the Q2 can be calm in terms of how many people there on the bus.

My experience that other day was that I arrived to Rockville from Ride-On's 54, and saw no sign of the Q2 to Silver Spring around the area. I went to the bus stop, there were already lots of people waiting. I knew that the Q2 usually comes very often like around every 5-10 minutes or so. But no, this time it just wouldn't come. As time passed, more and more people were waiting for this dang bus to come, not to mention it was very hot. Every Q2 bus that came only went to Shady Grove. Then finally after what felt like forever, and there were a thousand people waiting (not literally of course), the Q2 bus FINALLY comes. Of course, we weren't the only ones waiting, the bus was already crowded to the limit. Only a few people were able to get in. But fortunately the next bus came 2 minutes later. I wasn't able to get a seat, but at least I got in, and I did before the bus because extremely crowded just like the other one. (First bus that came was 2087, 2nd was 4329).

OK so you think this is bad enough right? The bus that's supposed to come often DOESN'T come for a LONG time and when it finally comes, it's already crowded when a huge crowd wants to board the bus, not to mention it wasn't an artic. So what makes this situation worse?

The people. It seems like I was the only one who had common sense. Of course there was another who told me and other people to wait so a mother and baby can get in first (I didn't see them so I was about to go in before them). But before getting on the bus, of course, people crowded like crazy around the bus, and when I'm in the middle of it, people keep touching me and pushing me, like we're all gonna die if we don't catch this bus.
I know people are desperate to get in, but this was ridiculous. Some lady behind me kept pushing and touching my back, and I was getting pissed because it was annoying and I couldn't move an inch forward. When I stopped to let the baby and mother in, I got pushed hard, I'm like WTF LADY (in my mind) to the lady behind me. It was just so frustrating being crowded by these type of people, and I know they do it all the time, but I'm not in the middle of it usually.

I ride the Q2 all the time, but I never had this happen, where the bus took VERY long to come and it was a riot waiting to happen when we were boarding the bus.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: George on August 23, 2008, 12:59:34 PM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 22, 2008, 06:37:51 PM
And which experience on the Q2 might this be? The run I rode last night was standing room only leaving Silver Spring and was that way until when I got off right before Wheaton at the Best Buy. It also had a VERY bitter driver (the one white guy at Montgomery who isn't Duffy/Flanders).
At times (especially late at night and mid day) the Q2 can be calm in terms of how many people there on the bus.

My experience that other day was that I arrived to Rockville from Ride-On's 54, and saw no sign of the Q2 to Silver Spring around the area. I went to the bus stop, there were already lots of people waiting. I knew that the Q2 usually comes very often like around every 5-10 minutes or so. But no, this time it just wouldn't come. As time passed, more and more people were waiting for this dang bus to come, not to mention it was very hot. Every Q2 bus that came only went to Shady Grove. Then finally after what felt like forever, and there were a thousand people waiting (not literally of course), the Q2 bus FINALLY comes. Of course, we weren't the only ones waiting, the bus was already crowded to the limit. Only a few people were able to get in. But fortunately the next bus came 2 minutes later. I wasn't able to get a seat, but at least I got in, and I did before the bus because extremely crowded just like the other one. (First bus that came was 2087, 2nd was 4329).

OK so you think this is bad enough right? The bus that's supposed to come often DOESN'T come for a LONG time and when it finally comes, it's already crowded when a huge crowd wants to board the bus, not to mention it wasn't an artic. So what makes this situation worse?

The people. It seems like I was the only one who had common sense. Of course there was another who told me and other people to wait so a mother and baby can get in first (I didn't see them so I was about to go in before them). But before getting on the bus, of course, people crowded like crazy around the bus, and when I'm in the middle of it, people keep touching me and pushing me, like we're all gonna die if we don't catch this bus.
I know people are desperate to get in, but this was ridiculous. Some lady behind me kept pushing and touching my back, and I was getting pissed because it was annoying and I couldn't move an inch forward. When I stopped to let the baby and mother in, I got pushed hard, I'm like WTF LADY (in my mind) to the lady behind me. It was just so frustrating being crowded by these type of people, and I know they do it all the time, but I'm not in the middle of it usually.

I ride the Q2 all the time, but I never had this happen, where the bus took VERY long to come and it was a riot waiting to happen when we were boarding the bus.

I wonder if it is possible to add in Rockville cutbacks during rush hour to probably address these issues. Also, could a T2/Q2 interline work?
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Perry

If the schedules match, an interline with any route if it means the ability to be effiicent, works.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Perry on August 23, 2008, 04:11:32 PM
If the schedules match, an interline with any route if it means the ability to be effiicent, works.
Usually there's a T2 coming in a few minutes before/after a Q2 comes in. Plus, if something were to be arranged like this, you could capitalize upon the 55 line since its practically the same route going to Rockville (except the Middle Lane portion). Also, I've heard some stories from operators doing street relief at SG station. Most of the time I hear its ridiculous.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 23, 2008, 04:02:25 PM
I wonder if it is possible to add in Rockville cutbacks during rush hour to probably address these issues. Also, could a T2/Q2 interline work?
That's exactly what I was thinking...I mean some T2 buses that finish service at Rockville leave the station. I bet it would help with the crowdedness.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station