News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Springtime Photo Challenge

Started by Tristan, April 05, 2010, 11:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tritransit Area

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on April 05, 2010, 05:42:06 PM
Requiring monuments seems a bit burdensome to me.  I also don't think Downtown DC ought to be banned.

Ray:  My suggestion on allowing back entries was simply to encompass all of this spring, since we are already into April and chances become more limited as time goes on. 

March 20 seems like a good cutoff date to me.  If the other cutoff is May 1, perhaps we should get until May 8 to make submissions?  I also think there should be a limit on the number of submissions so people can't just submit every photo they take.

I haven't been to Shirlington, but it seems to me that we could make the requirement be that photos must be of vehicles in a public ROW (eliminating all shopping malls, Metro stations, etc.) and cannot be an established layover point for any route.

I agree with all of these points.  That would cover the temporary bus terminal points in Silver Spring.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Tritransit Area on April 06, 2010, 12:15:47 AM
Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on April 05, 2010, 05:42:06 PM
Requiring monuments seems a bit burdensome to me.  I also don't think Downtown DC ought to be banned.

Ray:  My suggestion on allowing back entries was simply to encompass all of this spring, since we are already into April and chances become more limited as time goes on. 

March 20 seems like a good cutoff date to me.  If the other cutoff is May 1, perhaps we should get until May 8 to make submissions?  I also think there should be a limit on the number of submissions so people can't just submit every photo they take.

I haven't been to Shirlington, but it seems to me that we could make the requirement be that photos must be of vehicles in a public ROW (eliminating all shopping malls, Metro stations, etc.) and cannot be an established layover point for any route.

I agree with all of these points.  That would cover the temporary bus terminal points in Silver Spring.

I hadn't thought about Silver Spring.  I was just trying to make a suggestion that eliminates the ability to find buses in predictable places and forces people to get the type of shots Wayne described in his most recent post.  I worded it as established layover point so if you find a bus idling in a spot that doesn't ordinarily see buses laying over or parked on the side of the road at a point that isn't a layover, and the shot would otherwise meet the criteria, you can go for it and submit it.  After all, I don't think we should be penalizing people for "rare" finds that would otherwise meet the criteria.  But camping out at Silver Spring or somewhere comprable should be made difficult, if not impossible.

Tristan

Okay so it looks like our rules are actually pretty simple - as follows:

-Must be taken between March 20 and April 30
-Should include either a monument, foliage, or water -- or perhaps other "springlike" environmental elements, subject to interpretation
-Cannot be taken in Metrorail stations, transit centers, or other areas -- it's a photo challenge, not just a contest :-)

Did I get everything you've suggested?

79MetroExtraMD

I got a suggested list of off limit locations regarding the terminals points

Ballston
Silver Spring IOS
Glenmont (NB on Georgia)
Tysons Corner
Pentagon City (Hayes St. terminus)
Germantown Transit Center
Lakeforest
Friendship Heights (Western Avenue and Wisconsin sides)
Georgia Avenue-Petworth (Georgia Avenue side)

anyone else wanna chime in?
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Tristan on April 06, 2010, 11:14:57 AM
Okay so it looks like our rules are actually pretty simple - as follows:

-Must be taken between March 20 and April 30
-Should include either a monument, foliage, or water -- or perhaps other "springlike" environmental elements, subject to interpretation
-Cannot be taken in Metrorail stations, transit centers, or other areas -- it's a photo challenge, not just a contest :-)

Did I get everything you've suggested?

Submission limit?  My suggestion is 3 per category (DC/non-DC).

WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on April 06, 2010, 12:02:41 PM
I got a suggested list of off limit locations regarding the terminals points

Ballston
Silver Spring IOS
Glenmont (NB on Georgia)
Tysons Corner
Pentagon City (Hayes St. terminus)
Germantown Transit Center
Lakeforest
Friendship Heights (Western Avenue and Wisconsin sides)
Georgia Avenue-Petworth (Georgia Avenue side)

anyone else wanna chime in?


I think people can figure out what a layover point/terminal is without an official list...

Flxible

I'd like to participate.  Do model buses qualify as well as real ones?
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Tristan

Amended list of rules (there will be a new thread to start the contest and summarize all this!):

-Must be taken between March 20 and April 30
-Should include either a monument, foliage, or water -- or perhaps other "springlike" environmental elements, subject to interpretation
-Cannot be taken in Metrorail stations, transit centers, or other areas -- it's a photo challenge, not just a contest :-)
-Maximum of three photos per entry (post); one entry per person per category (DC/non-DC).

@Flx: Interesting question.  It could be argued that posing a model bus does not represent a challenge, but then...it could also be aruged that this.......might be interesting to see.  Anyone else have any comments on that?

aznboy4305

Whats the grand prize? I hope its a DASH stress bus thingy.

Tristan

Sure.  One of those then.  Either that or maybe a gift certificate for a custom bus from member Flxible...although I haven't pitched this to him yet.

OrionFlyer

Can we use Google Street view photos? Believe it or not, its hard to get clear pictures of buses with Street View, and I think it will be challenge finding some.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Tristan

I doubt you can satisfy all the requirements with a GSV photo.  Again, the point is to get you out taking more pictures, so no.  We might do another GSV contest though.

You would have a hard time knowing when the GSV imagery was captured -- probably before March 20.

NewFlyer9736BCT

I didn't quite understand from the official thread...can we get shots from MD and VA as well or only DC? And what are the categories?
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Tristan

Good question - DC *AREA*.  I'll specify that.  By category, I mean DC or non-DC.

Flxible

I can do a custom model bus of the winner's choice as the grand prize, depending on availability.  Will announce that under the official thread.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.