News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

60-BRT Hunting

Started by Scrabbleship, November 01, 2008, 12:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

btconet

Today I made it down to DC to ride, and caught two new bus models I'd never ridden under these owners.

I rode one of PG's new Phantoms on the 15X

and I rode one of WMATA's new NABI BRT models on the U8.

Sorry y'all, but if given the choice between riding the Gillig or the NABI, the Gillig would win hands down every time.

I was greatly impressed with the Gillig but underwhelmed by the Artic, and no I'm not a big Gillig fan at all.

Tristan

Hold it, how were you UNDERWHELMED by those things?  Do you want us to put a pretty red bow on the front?

btconet

Slow Takeoff

Didn't take bumps well.

Already the rattle of loose fixtures.

And not a flaw of the bus I guess, but the icing on the cake was fully half the buses we crossed rolling around the U8 with deadhead signs.

WMAveteran

Well, I had an entirely different experience when I rode one on the "U8".  I was impressed by the acceleration, there were no rattling noises and I thought the ride was great except for the seats near the articulation joint which had major vibrations.  Perhaps the acceleration depends on the driver and the traffic.  I think they are a great addition to the transit system.

aznboy4305

Yeah, rode one of the 60BRTs last week, PIECE OF SHIT. It may be pretty for the camera, but thats about it. Its the same 60LFW crap that CTA got. Squeaking and rattling as much as it was for a brand new bus, give them one month and they'll be done faster than the AN460s. I'll take a Gillig over those hands down any day.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: aznboy4305 on December 29, 2008, 02:35:11 AM
Yeah, rode one of the 60BRTs last week, PIECE OF SHIT. It may be pretty for the camera, but thats about it. Its the same 60LFW crap that CTA got. Squeaking and rattling as much as it was for a brand new bus, give them one month and they'll be done faster than the AN460s. I'll take a Gillig over those hands down any day.

Maybe putting them on a under-construction Benning would have been easier on then than the U8...

Tritransit Area

Quote from: btconet on December 28, 2008, 07:30:02 PM
Slow Takeoff

Hmm, I wouldn't say they have a slow take off.  The ISL-G is very good.  I know on the one that we rode, the driver didn't seem to be pushing it.  I rode 5406 (?) with Tristan and the driver was flying up whatever streets the U8 follows.  It also seemed to be very maneuverable as we flew around the corners.

I was, however, disappointed by vibrations on the low floor section.  Very Neo-artic like, although not quite as bad.  I guess the D60LF(R) wins in the area of smooth riding.

At first I was ecstatic about these buses, but after reading your comments and reconsidering my experiences, I'm a bit torn now...
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

Perry

NABI quality at its best I see.....I'm hopeful our newest artics are New Flyers rather than NABI, but we'll see what happens.  It won't be for another year or so that we put out the procurement.  Don't want to have to play "Chariots of Fire" all of the time as we do with the new 40 footers. 

I would say I'm envious that you guys have those buses, but actually I sorta feel sorry....

WES

The bad ride quality I can agree with, the shaking of the parts I somewhat I agree with, but slow takeoff, nah that I don't agree with.  I rode one today and the take off was pretty decent, it doesn't take off like RIDE ON's Gillig Advantage that I rode earlier (This sums it up RIDE ON has the fastest fleet in this area by far), but they ain't no WMATA Orion VII C gas plus acceleration.

I don't like the single door, the rear door messages and chimes are interesting, overall my grade would be a C+
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

WayneNYC

I rode two of the NABI BRTs today - #5406 & 5412.  I found 5406 to have a few rattles here and there, but not bad at all.  5412 was tight as ever and both seem to have pretty decent acceleration.  They will never rival the Neos, but I though their acceleration was acceptable at the least.  I hate the styling, especially the one-leaf front door and those stupid wheel covers.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WayneNYC on December 31, 2008, 09:46:58 PM
I rode two of the NABI BRTs today - #5406 & 5412.  I found 5406 to have a few rattles here and there, but not bad at all.  5412 was tight as ever and both seem to have pretty decent acceleration.  They will never rival the Neos, but I though their acceleration was acceptable at the least.  I hate the styling, especially the one-leaf front door and those stupid wheel covers.

I heard something about the door from a FMR operator. Going at highway speeds, the doors are susceptible to flying open. Sounds a bit familiar to the parallel plug doors of RTSs. Maybe one day NABI will probably change the model somewhat to have slide glide doors instead of the one-leaf door. And yes, those damn wheel covers have to go.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WayneNYC

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on December 31, 2008, 09:59:00 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on December 31, 2008, 09:46:58 PM
I rode two of the NABI BRTs today - #5406 & 5412.  I found 5406 to have a few rattles here and there, but not bad at all.  5412 was tight as ever and both seem to have pretty decent acceleration.  They will never rival the Neos, but I though their acceleration was acceptable at the least.  I hate the styling, especially the one-leaf front door and those stupid wheel covers.

I heard something about the door from a FMR operator. Going at highway speeds, the doors are susceptible to flying open. Sounds a bit familiar to the parallel plug doors of RTSs. Maybe one day NABI will probably change the model somewhat to have slide glide doors instead of the one-leaf door. And yes, those damn wheel covers have to go.

Yes, I imagine the door would do that since they open outward.  A good reason to go with the tried-and-true slide-glide doors, not to mention they look a lot better.

WES

#27
The only buses I liked with the one leaf door was the TMC Citycruiser/Orion I.  When those closed, you knew they were closing, but the BOOMPF!! sound.  These NABI doors don't really make a sound.

As for the wheel covers, WTF,  I got off the bus thinking that I needed to get some money from my b******.

On a similiar subject, rear windows on these new fangled buses I don't like.  The only buses, I liked rear windows on, was the new looks.  Other than the D40LFRs, everything else looks either weird or just plain goofy.
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: WES on January 01, 2009, 07:36:20 PM
The only buses I liked with the one leaf door was the TMC Citycruiser/Orion I.  When those closed, you knew they were closing, but the BOOMPF!! sound.  These NABI doors don't really make a sound.

As for the wheel covers, WTF,  I got out the bus thinking that I needed to get some money from my b******.

On a similiar subject, rear windows on these new fangled buses I don't like.  The only buses, I liked rear windows on, was the new looks.  Other than the D40LFRs, everything else looks either weird or just plain goofy.

Rooftop HVACs instead of belt driven ones. I like them better than the belt-driven ones. They aren't as loud. Also, I've seen pics of alot of newer New Flyers that have rooftop AC units, even the hybrids. I do miss New Looks even though I was on the tail end of that generation.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

WMAveteran

Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on January 01, 2009, 07:38:57 PM
Quote from: WES on January 01, 2009, 07:36:20 PM
The only buses I liked with the one leaf door was the TMC Citycruiser/Orion I.  When those closed, you knew they were closing, but the BOOMPF!! sound.  These NABI doors don't really make a sound.

As for the wheel covers, WTF,  I got out the bus thinking that I needed to get some money from my b******.

On a similiar subject, rear windows on these new fangled buses I don't like.  The only buses, I liked rear windows on, was the new looks.  Other than the D40LFRs, everything else looks either weird or just plain goofy.

Rooftop HVACs instead of belt driven ones. I like them better than the belt-driven ones. They aren't as loud. Also, I've seen pics of alot of newer New Flyers that have rooftop AC units, even the hybrids. I do miss New Looks even though I was on the tail end of that generation.

I both rode and drove the "new looks" and I agree with you and "Wes" about the back window.  Since the one piece back windows on the "new looks" covered the entire width of the bus you received a panoramic view of where you had been.  The belt driven a/c units however were very persnickety.  We, the drivers, were always given specific instructions to turn on the a/c unit only when the bus was stopped and idling and never when it was in gear and moving.  Because of the rotary dials on the left that controlled almost all the functions it was very easy to miss a detente and accidentally turn on the a/c while in motion.  This action, of course, created a lot of noise and a stunning view of a/c parts being thrown off the rear of the bus.