News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

WMATA to modify transfer fees

Started by Scrabbleship, November 07, 2008, 07:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Scrabbleship

Article in this morning's Post reports that Metro will be balancing the fees for transfers between bus and rail effective January 4th. The Rail-to-Bus transfer amount will go from 35 cents to 75 cents, but Bus-to-Rail customers will get a 50 cent discount on rail fare.

Balancing out the fares is something LONG overdue. Link to the article below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603450.html?hpid=topnews


WMATAGMOAGH

Quote from: Scrabbleship on November 07, 2008, 07:11:46 AM
Article in this morning's Post reports that Metro will be balancing the fees for transfers between bus and rail effective January 4th. The Rail-to-Bus transfer amount will go from 35 cents to 75 cents, but Bus-to-Rail customers will get a 50 cent discount on rail fare.

Balancing out the fares is something LONG overdue. Link to the article below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603450.html?hpid=topnews



I hope there is a boost in ridership from this the way Metrocard Gold in New York led to significant ridership increases.  I also agree that this is long overdue and am glad they are doing it.

Tritransit Area

This makes a lot of sense, and I'm glad they are doing this.  For a long time I've wondered why there wasn't something for the bus-to-rail, as most suburban routes connect/end at Metrorail stations (if I'm not mistaken).

I'm still very cold on the fact that they are eliminating paper transfers.  They should have purchased fareboxes or some sort of attachment that prints out transfers, especially since they have such a generous transfer policy.

Having to pay multiple full fares will be a deterrent to new riders, particularly those that visit the wonderful capital city...

And why can't subway and bus passes be used on the other modes?  WMATA is one company, isn't it?
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

79MetroExtraMD

I found this Post article regarding the elimination of the paper transfers and one thing kinda came to me as odd. Take a look at the first picture.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/03/AR2008110302100.html
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tritransit Area

That article does bring up a very interesting point about the transfer use.  It is somewhat common to see people who get off buses pass the transfer/daypass on to someone who is getting read to board.  You all are so nice down there!

While I understand the elimination of the daypass to save money, I really don't agree with the elimination of the transfers for cash fares.  There must be an alternative, because let's face it - the Smartrip won't work for everyone that decides to take WMATA.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WMATAGMOAGH

In New York, hardly anyone still pays cash.  WMATA has not done a good job making Smartrip available compared to how NYC markets the Metrocard, but I think people will adjust.

OrionFlyer

#6
I wish they wouldn't  get rid of the paper transfers for bus to bus. After January 4th my bus trips to dc are going to be very very very very limited until MTA starts the fare cards. I heard that people will be able to use them for DC metrobus and metrorail too.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: NGOrion on November 07, 2008, 08:28:47 PM
I wish they wouldn't  get rid of the paper transfers for bus to bus. After January 4th my bus trips to dc are going to be very very very very limited until MTA starts the fair cards. I heard that people will be able to use them for DC metrobus and metrorail too.

There is still alot of work to be done up on the MTA end and with the structural deficit and service cuts looming, the cards will probably be pushed back another year or so. Bear in mind, the "regional system" was to be fully functional a few years back, but major setbacks happened. As for trips to DC, there is MARC and B30 but I do feel you on having to deal with two different fare criteria. Even with a MARC monthly, the recent changes in policies have kinda affected me as well (especially for weekday holidays).
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06