News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Denver RTD light rail experience

Started by WMAveteran, January 25, 2011, 08:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WMAveteran

I just returned from a 3-day trip to Denver where I found some time to ride   parts of the light rail system that now has 5 routes (C, D, E, F, and H). All   routes except the "F" run 7 days a week and the trains operate 20-22 hours a day   through 36 stations. The equipment is made by Siemens and during the day the   trains run in three car units so they are quite long. The fares appear   reasonable but not cheap: my round-trip fare from Nine Mile station in Aurora CO   to downtown Denver on the "H" line was $8.00. There is no fare collection on the   cars so you are supposed to buy a ticket before you board but there is no   barrier to prevent a non-ticket holder from riding. In two days I never saw any   fare checkers checking riders for tickets. On one night, while waiting for an   "H" train, I was asked for bus fare by a man who said he had run out of money   drinking in a bar and he needed money for a bus he would board at the end of the   "C" line (Mineral) to Littleton CO because he thought he could ride the light rail for   free!