How many 30ft Flixibles and 9600 Orions are still in service?

Started by OrionFlyer, October 13, 2008, 08:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OrionFlyer

Just wondering because I really want to ride those buses, especially the 9600s.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

rideonrulez

Quote from: NGOrion on October 13, 2008, 08:08:24 PM
Just wondering because I really want to ride those buses, especially the 9600s.

The WMATA 5100 series 30ft Flx's have been gone for awhile. The 9600's are in the reserve fleet parked at CET.
"Ignore Asian Character Width"

OrionFlyer

Quote from: rideonrulez on October 13, 2008, 09:37:25 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on October 13, 2008, 08:08:24 PM
Just wondering because I really want to ride those buses, especially the 9600s.

The WMATA 5100 series 30ft Flx's have been gone for awhile. The 9600's are in the reserve fleet parked at CET.

Are ALL the 5100's gone? I rode one on the 3T a couple of months ago.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: NGOrion on October 13, 2008, 10:50:36 PM
The WMATA 5100 series 30ft Flx's have been gone for awhile. The 9600's are in the reserve fleet parked at CET.

Are ALL the 5100's gone? I rode one on the 3T a couple of months ago.
[/quote]

Wha? I thought they were gone. I've been by Arlington many times and haven't seen any 30 footers (sans the SLFs). Plus, I think the 3T might be interlined with the 3B.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06

Tristan

You probably rode a 35-footer.  They still look short because they are shorter than what you're used to.  The 5100s have been retired for a minute now - replaced by the Orion VIIs.

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: NGOrion on October 13, 2008, 10:50:36 PM
Quote from: rideonrulez on October 13, 2008, 09:37:25 PM
Quote from: NGOrion on October 13, 2008, 08:08:24 PM
Just wondering because I really want to ride those buses, especially the 9600s.

The WMATA 5100 series 30ft Flx's have been gone for awhile. The 9600's are in the reserve fleet parked at CET.

Are ALL the 5100's gone? I rode one on the 3T a couple of months ago.

A couple of months ago?? Like Tristan said, it was probably a 35-footer (9481-9498). The 5100s have been retired since at least a year ago, I think even more.

As for the 9600s, before they all went to CET: Montgomery, Landover, Arlington, and Royal had them. Montgomery and Landover then had a few after almost all moved to CET (they were 9602, 9612, 9613, 9618, 9651, 9660, and possibly more), then those moved to CET as well.
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

LandoverDivision

The REAL Landover Division fan!

Tristan

Not the 35-footers, maybe you're thinking of the 96"/non-ADA 40' units...don't recall the exact numbers, but those are gone.  The 35' units have been and still are running strong out of Arlington division, minus the 2-3 units sent to PG.

Speaking of which, anyone remember those numbers, and has anyone seen them in service (*cough*Wes*cough*)?

NewFlyer9736BCT

Quote from: Tristan on October 14, 2008, 05:12:47 PM
Not the 35-footers, maybe you're thinking of the 96"/non-ADA 40' units...don't recall the exact numbers, but those are gone.  The 35' units have been and still are running strong out of Arlington division, minus the 2-3 units sent to PG.

Speaking of which, anyone remember those numbers, and has anyone seen them in service (*cough*Wes*cough*)?

I think one of them was 9493, i don't know the others though (possibly 9494 and/or 9495, not 100% sure)

Also, I think the mid 9400s (the ones that have retired) were numbered 9421-9463 (retired earlier due to the fact that they had no wheelchair lifts)
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

WES

I know 9493, 9494, forgot the other one, but I haven't seen one in DUH BUS service for a minute.  I am probably sure they are still running them since if THE BUS only got 11 Advantages( that we know of anyway) those would have replaced the remaining ODVs (though i think one is still running), and the 3 Gillig Phantoms from 96.
The WMATA reject Orion Vs are still running usually on the 18 and 21X. 
Spontaneous Breakdancing Is Fun

OrionFlyer

Yeah it was the 35ft I was one. How can get those confused?
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

WayneNYC

Quote from: George on October 14, 2008, 08:43:45 PM

Also, I think the mid 9400s (the ones that have retired) were numbered 9421-9463 (retired earlier due to the fact that they had no wheelchair lifts)

Yup - Those and the high 9200 series were the first Metro-Bs to go.

Tritransit Area

Quote from: WES on October 14, 2008, 10:17:09 PM
I know 9493, 9494, forgot the other one, but I haven't seen one in DUH BUS service for a minute.  I am probably sure they are still running them since if THE BUS only got 11 Advantages( that we know of anyway) those would have replaced the remaining ODVs (though i think one is still running), and the 3 Gillig Phantoms from 96.
The WMATA reject Orion Vs are still running usually on the 18 and 21X. 

Wow, THE BUS is growing up too - no more ODVs - I remember when that was essentially all they had, along with the CAGV!  Is the 18's ridership going up to warrant the use of 40fters?  That used to be a predominantly ODV line...

Can't wait to see an updated THE BUS the next weekday I'm able to make it down there...
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...