News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

Started by Nabinut, July 25, 2010, 03:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabinut

For two days last week, I was in Boston fanning the MBTA system (with Wayne NYC and others). As in typical summer it was steamy and sometime rainy but productive. Here are some photos and videos:
Buses & Trackless Trolleys
New Flyer DE60LFR #1220 at Mattapan Station. 1220 is one of 25 brand new Hybrids purchased by MBTA and used on Route 28 from Mattapan to Ruggles Orange Line Station:

Pictured at Dudley Station is NABI CNG 40LFW #2299, the last of 299 NABIs purchased between 2000-2003 that operate mostly in South Boston:

Sliver Line Routes 4 & 5 operate between Dudley Station and Downtown. Here is Neoplan CNG AN460LF #1013 inside the terminal. This is one of 44 buses added to the fleet in 2003 and is known as Neoplan's only CNG artic venture:

Leaving Watertown Square is Neoplan AN440LF Trackless Trolley #4119 heading westbound to Harvard Station. 4119 is one of 28 purchased to retire the then 27 year old Flyer E800s. Side Note: The operator of this bus was awesomely nice to me and the other two fans, even stopping to talk to us while outside Harvard Station:

Nova RTS-06 #0298 outside the Harvard Station Tunnel on a return trip on Route 73. 0298 is one of approx. 125 RTSs out of 400 purchased in 1994 & 1995 still in operation:

New Flyer #0600, the first of 310 New Flyers purchased between 2006 & 2008 is seen taking layover at Wellington Orange Line Station:

At Sullivan Square Station buses leave from a upper and lower section. Here is #0092 leaving from the lower while another RTS & New Flyer await passengers on the upper end:

New Flyer #0744 leads a pack of D40LFs at Haymarket Station as rush hour is winding down:

Neoplan AN460LF CNG #1033 is seen along Commonwealth Avenue on Route 39 near Northeastern University. 1033 is among 23 other 1000 series buses painted in the MBTA that serve Route 39 exclusively:

NABI CNG 40LFW #2223 wrapped for Jet Blue on Route 66 which starts at Harvard Station in Cambridge before making its way to South Boston and Dudley Station:

Nova RTS #0388, seemingly freshly repainted and TMC RTS #0106 await to leave Haymarket with the former in Route to Salem Depot in Salem, Mass:

A few minutes later, #1128 arrives on Route SL1 for passengers heading to Logan Airport. 1128 is one of eight buses purchased with Massport funds and are mainstays on the SL1:
   
Videos:
New Flyer DE60LFR #1220: Cummins ISL/Allison EP40 Hybrid Drive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYEWlYl1V0g
Neoplan AN460LF #1013: Detroit Diesel Series 50/Allison B500R Transmission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VsUx2MqAYg
Neoplan AN440LF #0453: Caterpillar C9/Allison B400R Transmission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3915Mi3tBIg
TMC RTS-06 #0092: Detroit Diesel Series 50/ Allison V731 Transmission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWgbwiLf4g
NABI 40LFW CNG #2026: Cummins C Gas/Allison B400R Transmission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kk59UTHtOw
New Flyer D40LF #0718: Cummins ISL/Allison B400R Transmission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg7DEBcKSIE
Neoplan AN460LF Dual Mode #1128: DD60 Engine/Skoda Electrical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmnLSD8qux0
MBTA Bus System Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmO6M28Jrfg

Subways & Trolleys:
Green Line Breda Type 8 #3851 leads a two pack of cars heading outbound on Branch B to Boston College. 3851 is one of 100 Type 8s purchased by MBTA between 1999 & 2008:

Green Line Kinki Sharyo Type 7 #3709 had just completed boarding passengers at Park Street Station. 3709 is one of twenty Type 7s purchased by MBTA in 1997 to retire the last of the Boeings:

Kinki Sharyo Type 7 #3688 trails the end of a two car train leaving Haymarket Station. 3688 is one of 100 original Type 7s purchased between 1986 & 1988:

Breda Type 8 #3880 seen on Commonwealth Avenue on the E Branch inbound to Lechmere Station:

Type 7 #3620 returns inbound from the Heath Street Terminal of the E Branch

Kinki Sharyo #3604 ascends the hill on Beacon Street on the C Branch to Cleveland Circle:
 
Type 8 #3853 on the C Branch private right of way heading inbound towards North Station:

Type 8 #3828 with all lights activated a mere three blocks from the tunnel taking C Branch trains into Downtown Boston:
       
Historic PCC #3254 at Mattapan Station at the end of the Mattapan-Ashmont High Speed Line:

In this second photo, a alternative destination sign adorns #3238, also photographed at Mattapan:

Videos:
Bombardier Red Line Car #01847:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixtMGz8i6zY
Hawker Siddley Orange Line Car #01233:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3_5rJgC-dU
Siemens Blue Line Car #0782
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqp-uNZyJI
Kinki Sharyo Type 7 #3644 on the E Branch inside the tunnel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv39OtHHDDo
Breda Type 8 #3882 on the B Branch to Boston University
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0dTKKSbQTc
Mattapan-Ashmont PCC #3238: Full Route Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPCFU9Yh3E
Green Line Trolley System Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BZ3vTxL198
MBTA Subway System Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_IU2bOZsvI

Scrabbleship

One minor nit-pick: The E branch and 39 bus run along Huntington Avenue, not Commonwealth Avenue. The B branch is the one that runs on Commonwealth Avenue.

The C branch also doesn't have its own right of way, from reaching the surface to its end at Cleveland Circle it's fully in Beacon Street's median.

Nabinut

Thanks for the correction. However, rail along the median is considered right of way. Cars can't ride on it and it has it's own lights

WMAveteran

Great pictures. Congratulations on sneaking a photograph of the Silver Line bus in the tunnel.  The last time I tried to photograph one of them I was loudly admonished (shouted at) by a "T" police person and told that photographs in the tunnel were prohibited. 

WayneNYC

Agreed.  I was tempted, but passed.  At first I was thinking that I could pull out my small point-and-shoot camera for the pic, but it wouldn't have been very good.  I probably could've walked (like a tourist) with my DSLR around my neck and gotten a quick pic with catching MBTA personnel attention.

WMATAGMOAGH

Nice photos.  Like I said in Wayne's thread, I should get up there to transit fan as soon as I can, it has been too long.

IIRC, the Type 8s were purchased to retire the last Boeings, not the Type 7s.  Also, to say that the Type 8s were purchased between 1998 and 2008 is a bit misleading IMO.  They were purchased in 1998, the order wasn't completed until much much much later.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: WMATAGMOAGH on July 28, 2010, 08:02:38 PM
Nice photos.  Like I said in Wayne's thread, I should get up there to transit fan as soon as I can, it has been too long.

IIRC, the Type 8s were purchased to retire the last Boeings, not the Type 7s.  Also, to say that the Type 8s were purchased between 1998 and 2008 is a bit misleading IMO.  They were purchased in 1998, the order wasn't completed until much much much later.

The 3700's were purchased to replace some of the un-rehabbed Boeings so it would be half-true. The 3600's replaced the last of the PCC's and filled the spots the rejected Boeings would have filled.

Nabinut

Quote from: WMAveteran on July 28, 2010, 04:40:27 PM
Great pictures. Congratulations on sneaking a photograph of the Silver Line bus in the tunnel.  The last time I tried to photograph one of them I was loudly admonished (shouted at) by a "T" police person and told that photographs in the tunnel were prohibited. 

I didn't sneak in a shot. I took three actually and a video. When me and another fan were watching (originally) to see one come in, a supervisor thought we were lost since we were on the southbound side. Afterwards, I shot the video of a training bus arriving. Admittingly I've done that in the past but I wasn't bashful this time

As for the 10 year "purchase" of the Type 8s, I should have said it took up to 10 years to deliver

RailBus63

Quote from: WMAveteran on July 28, 2010, 04:40:27 PM
Great pictures. Congratulations on sneaking a photograph of the Silver Line bus in the tunnel.  The last time I tried to photograph one of them I was loudly admonished (shouted at) by a "T" police person and told that photographs in the tunnel were prohibited.

There are no restrictions against photography on the MBTA system in public areas, including the Silver Line.  Most of the MBTA Police know that.