News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

NoVa Transit Questions

Started by ECBuzz, March 17, 2010, 10:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ECBuzz

Hi,

I'm just back from the DC area for a convention, and spent the final morning of my stay transit-fanning in Huntington, King Street and Ballston-MU Metro stations.  I'd like to raise some questions on the transit operators in Northern Virginia:

a) On Fairfax Connector:
1. Where are the brand-new 9600-series D40LFR based and which routes are they most frequently used?

2. Where are the D35LFR's and the 30ft. Orion VII NG's based and which routes are the most common haunts?

3. Which buses are based at West Ox?

4. What are the most common buses on the 600-series West County routes gained from WMATA?

5. What are the most common buses on their South County routes?

On Alexandria DASH:

1. Is DASH the last major DC-area TA without low-floor buses?

2. When will they get the first low-floors?

3. Which of their current two suppliers (Gillig vs. Orion) are more likely to get orders for low-floor buses from them?

On Arlington Transit & City of Fairfax CUE:

1. Can anyone give a fleet list of Arlington Transit's NABI 35-LFW's, including the model year & fleet numbers?

2. On which routes are Arlington Transit's cutaways still being used besides 53A/B?

3. Are all of Arlington Transit's ODV's retired?

4. Are CUE's 30ft. Phantoms still in use after the arrival of 35ft. Gillig BRT hybrids?

On Metrobus's NoVa operations:

1. What routes does West Ox's DE42LFA's & DE37LFA's operate on?

2. Where can I find West Ox's Orion VI's?

3. Are Orion V's the mainstay at West Ox?

4. What is the weekday route breakdown between West Ox & Four Mile Run?

5. When does FMR lose its NABI 60-BRT's?

Finally, on transit-fanning in general in NoVa:

1. Does King Street has the fewest weekday routes served by low-floor buses (only the REX)among major Metro Stations (excluding those served only by DASH buses)?

2. Is Huntington Metro heavily Orion apart from Fairfax Connector's New Flyers?

Thanks!

NewFlyer9736BCT

#1
a) On Fairfax Connector:
1. Where are the brand-new 9600-series D40LFR based and which routes are they most frequently used?
They are mostly (or possibly all) at West Ox division, if you're looking for them, you can't miss them in Vienna Station during rush hour.

2. Where are the D35LFR's and the 30ft. Orion VII NG's based and which routes are the most common haunts?
The D35LFRs are a hit or miss, they could be anywhere. They used to be only south county buses but as of today I found out that north county has some too (saw 9758 today on the 574). The Orion VII NGs are probably easiest to find at Reston Town Center, where they're almost always on the RIBS routes. South county has some too, but not as much, especially since some of them moved to north county. You can also try the Tysons Connector routes, they usually have the cutaways and Orion VII NGs. For south county, you can try the 231/232, 310, 321/322, and 331/332 for both the D35LFRs and Orion VII NGs.

3. Which buses are based at West Ox?
Most (if not all) of the 9600s, some 9700s (I would say from the upper 9710s to the mid 9730s), and some baby Orion Vs (7900s).

4. What are the most common buses on the 600-series West County routes gained from WMATA?
9600s and 9700s, it's pretty much an even split.

5. What are the most common buses on their South County routes?
Probably the 9700s (D40LFRs) and the Orion Vs (77-7800s). They might also still have the D35LFRs, assuming all of them haven't moved to north county, same with the Orion VII NGs, plus they do have some of the baby Orion Vs now, and maybe a couple of cutaways.

On Alexandria DASH:

1. Is DASH the last major DC-area TA without low-floor buses?
yes

2. When will they get the first low-floors?
I don't know, this is for Tristan to answer

3. Which of their current two suppliers (Gillig vs. Orion) are more likely to get orders for low-floor buses from them?
ask Tristan

On Arlington Transit & City of Fairfax CUE:

1. Can anyone give a fleet list of Arlington Transit's NABI 35-LFW's, including the model year & fleet numbers?
I can't give a VERY detailed outline here, but here's what I can tell you from what I know off the top of my head:
5271-5279 - NABI 35-LFWs (~2007?)
5252-5258 and 5281-5288 - NABI 35-LFWs restyled (~2008-2009?)
*there might be some missing but that's all I know about, plus I'm not too sure about the year

2. On which routes are Arlington Transit's cutaways still being used besides 53A/B?
I don't know this one...

3. Are all of Arlington Transit's ODV's retired?
I don't know this one...

4. Are CUE's 30ft. Phantoms still in use after the arrival of 35ft. Gillig BRT hybrids?
yes, in fact I saw a couple in service today

On Metrobus's NoVa operations:

1. What routes does West Ox's DE42LFA's & DE37LFA's operate on?
the 42LFAs will operate on any other normal West Ox route, like the 1 line, 2 line, etc...and maybe some at the rush hour Pentagon routes. the 37LFAs are harder to find, but it's still possible to find them on the main routes (1 line, 2 line...). I think they can be found easier at the Pentagon, but I may be wrong. I know that they are usually used for the West Ox employee shuttle, which can be found at Fair Oaks Mall and Vienna Station.

2. Where can I find West Ox's Orion VI's?
Again, on any other route. Since there are much more Orion Vs at West Ox, they're not as easy to find, but they're still out there, especially on the rush hour Pentagon routes.

3. Are Orion V's the mainstay at West Ox?
yes

4. What is the weekday route breakdown between West Ox & Four Mile Run?
West Ox:
1 line
2 line
8 line (not sure about this one)
a few 13 line runs
some 18 line runs
there's most likely more that I'm missing, but that's all that I know of

FMR:
3 line
4 line
5A
7 line
some of the 8 line (split with Royal and/or West Ox)
9 line
13 line
15 line
16 line
17 line
22 line
23 line
25 line
some 28A rush hour runs
29 line (29K and 29N are mostly Royal, but they have some rush hour FMR runs)
38B
and maybe more

5. When does FMR lose its NABI 60-BRT's?
They already did a couple of months ago (around November I think)

Finally, on transit-fanning in general in NoVa:

1. Does King Street has the fewest weekday routes served by low-floor buses (only the REX)among major Metro Stations (excluding those served only by DASH buses)?
I think Braddock Road Station has even fewer. See, REX is an all FMR route, while the 10 line (the only WMATA line at Braddock Rd Sta) is mostly Royal, but from what I heard, FMR does a few 10A/10B runs (and I think 10E as well) during rush hour.

2. Is Huntington Metro heavily Orion apart from Fairfax Connector's New Flyers?
I think so...

and BTW just FYI, Connector's RTS's are still in service, they run on north county routes (I actually rode one on the 605 today)
Route Q2. Destination: Silver Spring Station

Tristan

DASH:

1) (Parroting) Yes.
Until October 2009, we were in a facility in which we did not have the space or equipment to store parts for any new type of bus, be it a high floor from another manufacturer other than Orion and Gillig (both of which have served us very well anyway), or a low floor bus even from Orion or Gillig -- in fact, if we had a bigger facility, there's a scant chance the Orion Is might have lasted longer...but we just didn't have the space to store parts.

2 and 3) Now that we are in a larger facility, we can get low floor buses.  Next for us will be Gillig Advantage hybrids, including four trolley versions that will enable us to take over the King St Trolley and run proper vehicles on it.

ART #3) I saw one...seriously...I was shocked it was still running.  I doubt it gets out much though.

Scrabbleship

Doesn't one of the 70-something routes at ART still use the occasional cutaway in rush hour?

The transformation of ART the last few years from ODV's, CAGV's, and Mutated Mommy Mobiles to regular buses has been nothing short of amazing. Of course, getting some routes from Metro will help.

Transport

In addition to the 2009 96xx New Flyers, FFX Connector has about 30 2010 96xx series 40 New Flyers sitting at West Ox ready to be put into service.  Brand new.  I believe a little over half of the 2010s are going to Huntington while just under half will go to the Reston-Herndon garage.

Here's a question... with the new 2010 40's about to go into service, will Reston-Herndon's RTSs be finally retired?  The FFX RTSs look new to this day.

Transport

#5
WMATAs 8 line (Foxchase/Seminary Valley) is weekday only and run out of Royal, I believe.

Most all 17 and 18 line service is from West Ox.  There may be one or two 18H Orange Hunt trips from FMR.

Tristan


OrionFlyer

#7
Weekdays

1 line (West Ox, FMR)
1C (West Ox)
2 line (West Ox, FMR Rush Hour Only)
2T (West Ox and FMR)
3 line (FMR)
3T (FMR)
3Y (FMR)
4 line (FMR)
5A (FMR)
7 (FMR
8 line (Royal in the Morning, FMR in the Evening)
9A, 9E (FMR 9A, Royal 9E)
10 line (10A Royal, 10B Royal, 10E Royal and FMR)
11Y (Royal)
13 line (FMR, Royal, West Ox)
15 line (FMR)
16 line (FMR)
16Y (FMR)
17 line (West Ox and FMR)
18 line (FMR, West Ox, Royal 18E)
21 line (Royal and FMR)
22 line (FMR)
23 line (FMR)
24T (West Ox)
25 Line (FMR)
28A,X (Royal, FMR, and West Ox)
28F,G (FMR)
29K, N (Royal, and West Ox)
29C,E,G,H,X (Royal in the morning and FMR in the evening)
38B (FMR)

There you go. Source: personal experience and next bus.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

Tristan

OF: The 8 split isn't so simple.  I see both garage's buses but mostly Royal in the morning, and many more FMR in the evening.  Source: that's my transit route home if I don't drive.

OrionFlyer

Quote from: Tristan on March 19, 2010, 06:02:24 PM
OF: The 8 split isn't so simple.  I see both garage's buses but mostly Royal in the morning, and many more FMR in the evening.  Source: that's my transit route home if I don't drive.

Sorry 'bout that. I must have overlooked the runs.
Blue Line Shuttle to Franconia-Springfield.



Want me to make a destination sign for you? Just send me a PM and I'll have it made in no time.

79MetroExtraMD

Quote from: Tristan on March 19, 2010, 06:02:24 PM
OF: The 8 split isn't so simple.  I see both garage's buses but mostly Royal in the morning, and many more FMR in the evening.  Source: that's my transit route home if I don't drive.
I saw a Royal bus on the 8Z heading out of the Pentagon this evening. I don't know which trips correspond to which blocks. I'll find out maybe Tuesday.
"Route 79, Limited Stop, destination: Archives"
Follow me on Twitter: @kencon06