News:

No news is good news :-)

Main Menu

Photographer Harrassement and Rights

Started by 79MetroExtraMD, March 17, 2010, 08:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

btconet

It's interesting to read through the thoughts suggested here on keeping the potential confrontational impacts lower.  It's funny as I've also considered boarding transactions (as well as merge spots) as good moments to shoot undetected.  I also generally don't shoot a vehicle I'm about to board as well - since I was an Operator, I can see how it appears confrontational on our part to hoist a camera at someone and then board their vehicle.  The main exception would be somewhere like San Francisco where everyone and their cousin takes photos of the rail vehicles.

This very touristy tendency has actually enlightened me and given me some excellent photos as well, creating sort of a win-win.  Line up an interesting building or backdrop in your image and passersby will assume that is your subject, and you get a really good photo!  You can play this off to fuller effect sometimes by remaining still as if you're waiting for the bus/train to pass so that you can get "your shot." 

You might also try NOT centering the vehicle in your photo, presuming the composition is good.  If you don't like the result, just crop the photo back to a regular wedge, with some loss of resolution.

Wayne's approach of favoring telephoto lengths is also a good one, though it can limit your creative abilities in some situations, and may be hard to do in more obstructed areas.

One other reason that's sometimes been given as to why Operators may be very resistant to photography is that they're trying to duck Child Support and think you're a spy. Just a little thought to nibble on.

 

Nabinut

Quote from: btconet on March 19, 2010, 09:26:46 PM
It's interesting to read through the thoughts suggested here on keeping the potential confrontational impacts lower.  It's funny as I've also considered boarding transactions (as well as merge spots) as good moments to shoot undetected.  I also generally don't shoot a vehicle I'm about to board as well - since I was an Operator, I can see how it appears confrontational on our part to hoist a camera at someone and then board their vehicle.  The main exception would be somewhere like San Francisco where everyone and their cousin takes photos of the rail vehicles.

This very touristy tendency has actually enlightened me and given me some excellent photos as well, creating sort of a win-win.  Line up an interesting building or backdrop in your image and passersby will assume that is your subject, and you get a really good photo!  You can play this off to fuller effect sometimes by remaining still as if you're waiting for the bus/train to pass so that you can get "your shot." 

You might also try NOT centering the vehicle in your photo, presuming the composition is good.  If you don't like the result, just crop the photo back to a regular wedge, with some loss of resolution.

Wayne's approach of favoring telephoto lengths is also a good one, though it can limit your creative abilities in some situations, and may be hard to do in more obstructed areas.

One other reason that's sometimes been given as to why Operators may be very resistant to photography is that they're trying to duck Child Support and think you're a spy. Just a little thought to nibble on.

 

One of the most interesting encounters i've ever had was with a MTA operator who thought i was working for Child Support enforcement and threw a bunch of questions at me. I handled it like a pro though i was 20 at the time and shrugged it off.