Coming to DC for Roadeo/Busfanning...But Will Need Help!!!

Started by Flxible, March 04, 2010, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Flxible

Hey everybody.  I'm coming up to the DC area for the first time in 4 years, this time on official business.  I will be judging the VA State Roadeo at DASH, visit friends, and plan to ride Flxibles one last time while I am there.  However, there is now a fork in my plans.  My wife Beth was going to come up with me, but she just found out she can't take the time off at work.  Our hotel accomodations vaporized as they were to be through her company, so now it's just me...and I will be riding GLI as she will need the car to get to work on that Sunday. (We don't have Sunday bus service in Roanoke.)

Would any of you have couch space and be able to host me for the weekend of the 19th?  My plan is to arrive Thursday PM so that I can catch Flxes, Ride On Orion Is, etc. on rush hour Friday, and then I would leave on Monday.  I can help with groceries,dishes, etc. if need be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

WayneNYC

Fred,

IMO, Silver Spring is your best spot to search for a Flxible nowadays.  During rush hours plenty of them will show up there and as a bonus your chances for one of the remaining Metro-Bs is OK too.  As far as the Orion I is concerned... As of late I've seen just 5529 and it'll be really tricky to find it.  I'm not saying it's defnitely the only Orion I still on the road, but I suspect this to be the case.

Scrabbleship

I could sacrifice couch space and I'm in Silver Spring which means a good chance of Flxibles. I'm supposed to be out of town that Sunday though and it might be a bit of a hike for you.

Annex4421

Fred if you want Flxible action, check out PG County the Landover Division has the most Metro B's, here in the Annex territory there some E's still left, and as Wayne mention good ol Silver Spring.



Flxible

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 04, 2010, 02:28:16 PM
I could sacrifice couch space and I'm in Silver Spring which means a good chance of Flxibles. I'm supposed to be out of town that Sunday though and it might be a bit of a hike for you.

Thanks!  At the moment I have made plans to stay with a fellow DCATZ member in NOVA but will keep your offer in mind just in case.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Flxible

Quote from: Southeastern Annex4421 on March 04, 2010, 08:03:52 PM
Fred if you want Flxible action, check out PG County the Landover Division has the most Metro B's, here in the Annex territory there some E's still left, and as Wayne mention good ol Silver Spring.

Thanks for the heads up.  Does DUH BUS still run a couple of 9400s?
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Flxible

Quote from: WayneNYC on March 04, 2010, 01:28:36 PM
Fred,

IMO, Silver Spring is your best spot to search for a Flxible nowadays.  During rush hours plenty of them will show up there and as a bonus your chances for one of the remaining Metro-Bs is OK too.  As far as the Orion I is concerned... As of late I've seen just 5529 and it'll be really tricky to find it.  I'm not saying it's defnitely the only Orion I still on the road, but I suspect this to be the case.
Wayne, thanks for the heads up.  I figured SS would still be the best spot to catch a Flx these days.  Any word on Ride On's remaining pair of Flxes?
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Flxible

By any chance, does anyone know what GLI is running to Union Sta these days?  Lately I have only seen D-Series in Roanoke, with a random G-Series showing up the other day.  Funny enough, the latter have been around for 10 years and I still have yet to ride one!  I would really like to check out the new Prevost fleet though.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Annex4421

Quote from: Flxible on March 09, 2010, 02:55:01 PM
Quote from: Southeastern Annex4421 on March 04, 2010, 08:03:52 PM
Fred if you want Flxible action, check out PG County the Landover Division has the most Metro B's, here in the Annex territory there some E's still left, and as Wayne mention good ol Silver Spring.

Thanks for the heads up.  Does DUH BUS still run a couple of 9400s?
Not anymore, but I think Landover still has some 35 footers still in service if you want to ride them.



Flxible

Who wants to join me?  I plan to do WMATA during the day and check out Ride On with Chris D. afterwards.  Reeeeeally hoping to find a Flx on the 100 (or wherever) during PM rush....
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

Tritransit Area

Chris D?!  I haven't seen or heard from him in YEARS!  How is he doing?

Argh, I really wish I could meet up with you guys (I actually planned to make my way down there for the Roadeo), but my finances tanked recently, especially since my car's windshield is cracking up...
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...

WayneNYC

Quote from: Flxible on March 19, 2010, 12:31:02 AM
Who wants to join me?  I plan to do WMATA during the day and check out Ride On with Chris D. afterwards.  Reeeeeally hoping to find a Flx on the 100 (or wherever) during PM rush....

Fred - Since you mentioned the 100, I assume you're referring to the Ride On.  Those Flxibles are gone.  If you really want that Flx ride on Saturday your best chance will be for one of those from Montgomery.  If you find one it's very likely to be a Metro-E, possibly a D and very unlikely to be one of the Bs.


Flxible

#12
Started out early today (7AM-ish) and caught 6056 at Van Dorn.  First Alstom ride for me--eh, they're OK.  Waited for a Rohr at Metro Center (1208) and headed toward Silver Spring, when suddenly I spotted 9488 at Rhode Island Ave and ran down to catch it on the 84 to New Carrollton.  It rattles a lot and has an Orion horn button, but I was pleased to finally ride a WMATA 35 ft Flx.  Once there, I transferred to 9302; a fight almost broke out on that bus but the driver nipped it in the bud.  Rode that on the F4 to Silver Spring and was enamored by its sweet sound and smooth ride.  Stopped at the giant dirt pile (when did THIS happen?!? Must have missed the posts) and grabbed lunch, chilled for a while to find something interesting, and wound up taking 4099 on the Z6 for a round trip while some dude played Timbaland/Busta's Knight Rider remix, much to my delight.

Once back to SS, I found Ride On 5529 (JACKPOT!!) and round-tripped on the 22.  Met up with Chris D. and we miraculously caught yet another Metro B (9405) and enjoyed a nice, breezy ride on the Q4 to grab dinner, catch 6019 on the Q2, and seek Ride On's New Flyers.  Found 5823 on the 46 (these things are SWEET!!) and hopped on 5307 (bland) to catch the 5 back to SS, only to find a sea of Vs and LFAs.  Bleagh.  With no worthy bus options, we caught 1257 on the Red Line to Gallery Pl and hopped on 1250 (Damn Fred, Rohr much? LOL) back to Eisenhower via the Yellow.  Oh yes, and I finally broke down and bought my first SmarTrip Card.  'Twas a wise investment.

This concludes today's successful quest for the Holy Grail.  I also got some good pics too.
Once all the goats are rounded up, the German tourists are extradited, and the syrup trucks are returned, you'll have to admit that you never saw that one coming.

WMAveteran

Thanks for the report.  Reads like a good time was had by all.  The dirt pile is the reconstruction of the Silver Spring Transit Center.  It will be the Montgomery County version of the NY Port Authority when it's finished (if we should live that long). 

Tritransit Area

Fred, seems like you had a great trip!  Congrats on the great catches.  Too bad the reconstruction of Silver Spring "Transit Center" seems to be taking forever, though.
My favorite buses:
1989 SEPTA AN440: 19 years in service
1989 NJT Metro Bs: 21 years in service
1990 WMATA 93/9400 Flxes: 20 years in service!
1990-92 Ride-On Orion Is: 17-18 years in service!

Tell me again I have no taste in buses...