Which Domain Name Would You Choose? (On-Topic)

Started by WMATAGMOAGH, November 21, 2009, 05:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WMATAGMOAGH

I'm posting this here, if a mod disagrees with my assessment of whether it belongs here or in the blender, I assume it will get moved accordingly,

I'm working on a project where I need to figure out what domain name I should give to a media outlet that is reporting on my work.  In what can only be described as pure genius, I bought two domain names, and then only solicited people for opinions.  The choices are:

1.  http://www.jlembusmap.com
2.  http://www.jerusalembusmap.net

Click either to see what the project is, they are both operational and will remain operational regardless of which one I give to the reporter.

A more complete welcome page, along with an instructions page, will go up on the site probably Monday night, so you can bear with the existing version for now.  That said, I'll post an explanation of why I undertook this project and also the actual article once it runs at a later time.  It is well past midnight here in Israel and Sunday is not the weekend here. 

Tristan

I'd go for the latter...does anyone in Jerusalem know what "jlem" is?

WMATAGMOAGH

Yes, Jlem is a very common abbreviation here.  It was interesting, over the course of my informal polling (meaning asking anyone I knew here who I felt I could ask for an opinion, as well as through Facebook and GChat), people who I know or suspect had never been to Jerusalem or Israel or who had no connection to either place usually opted for the .net, while those who are/were here in Jerusalem or had a stronger connection to Jerusalem and Israel opted for the .com.  I own both names (I must be a Jewish webmaster, there is only one of me but I manage to have more than one opinion about what to do) so I'm advertising both, and choosing which one to use based on the situation.  For the Jerusalem Post article (which I can share here once it runs and I get a chance to post it, I won't even be in the country when it runs), they are using jlembusmap.com since it is shorter and it is targeted towards people who know Jerusalem.  The reporter told me the paper even uses the J'lem abbreviation in headlines.  Also, jerusalembusmap.com is a separate site that I do not own, have any affiliation with, and just comes up with a "coming soon" message if you load it, so I'd rather be advertising the URL with the less potential for confusion so as to not inhibit the amount of publicity I can receive from this article (the map's facebook fan page has over 1200 fans and that is simply from people finding the site through word of mouth mostly, so I'm curious to see what happens after the article runs).

Tristan