DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: Annex4421 on September 18, 2009, 10:15:28 PM

Title: The Flxibles
Post by: Annex4421 on September 18, 2009, 10:15:28 PM
With the Flexibles retiring soon (Some of them idk about the Metro B's). We all should pay tribute for one of the best buses of ALL TIME. Say A few words, Post pics whatever. Lets give it up for Flexibles from ALL transit agencies that has/Had them. The clock is ticking as we speak.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: OrionFlyer on September 18, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
There is something I don't understand about the Metro B's. If they are  going to be retired soon, why would WMATA put new signs on some of them? Unless they are going to another Transit Agency.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Annex4421 on September 18, 2009, 10:35:42 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on September 18, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
There is something I don't understand about the Metro B's. If they are be retired soon, why would WMATA put new signs on some of them? Unless they are going to another Transit Agency.
They might stay for a while though but who knows. They D's and E's are retiring so it would be something if the Metro B's outlast them.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 18, 2009, 10:39:14 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on September 18, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
There is something I don't understand about the Metro B's. If they are  going to be retired soon, why would WMATA put new signs on some of them? Unless they are going to another Transit Agency.

My theory (as stated before in this site) is that the new signs on the 93/9400s are coming from the Metro-Ds and Metro-Es that are already retired, so they're not technically new.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Annex4421 on September 18, 2009, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: NewFlyer97BCT on September 18, 2009, 10:39:14 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on September 18, 2009, 10:28:07 PM
There is something I don't understand about the Metro B's. If they are  going to be retired soon, why would WMATA put new signs on some of them? Unless they are going to another Transit Agency.

My theory (as stated before in this site) is that the new signs on the 93/9400s are coming from the Metro-Ds and Metro-Es that are already retired, so they're not technically new.
Exactly. Plus the might still retire.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: WayneNYC on September 18, 2009, 11:03:13 PM
Quote from: Annex4421 on September 18, 2009, 10:15:28 PM
With the Flexibles retiring soon. We all should pay tribute for one of the best buses of ALL TIME. Say A few words, Post pics whatever. Lets give it up for Flexibles from ALL transit agencies that has/Had them. The clock is ticking as we speak.

Just wanted to let you know that the company's spelling was without the first letter e.  It was spelled Flxible.  Take a close look at the nameplate one day.  That said here's some of my Flxible Metro pics.


(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/WMATA/DSC04863.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/WMATA/DSC05205.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/WMATA/DSC00452.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Baltimore%20MTA/DSC07793.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Baltimore%20MTA/DSC07771.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Baltimore%20MTA/c5b891c9.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Bee%20Line/8916ca6d.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Bee%20Line/6ae8b7b6.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/CTA/DSC01009.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/CTA/DSC00168.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Misc/bf985ac1.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NJTransit/DSC09630.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/NJTransit/DSC05582.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/PATransit/DSC08847.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/PATransit/DSC00549.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/PATransit/DSC00597PAT.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Puerto%20Rico/DSC07304.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Ride-On/35174204.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/Shuttle%20UM/DSC04151.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/San%20Diego/ec7adc31.jpg)

(http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/WayneJay/San%20Diego/477befef.jpg)
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Annex4421 on September 18, 2009, 11:09:00 PM
Cool Pics I diddnt knoe Ride-On had flxibles.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Perry on September 19, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
They were ex-Baltimore MTA units that had operated on Liquid Nitrogen, given some major TLC at Montgomery County and converted to diesels.  Ride On at one time also had several WMATA 30 foot Metro B's painted into their colors and used on various routes such as the Bethesda 8 Circulator route and a Germantown route among others.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on September 19, 2009, 01:22:36 AM
Quote from: Perry on September 19, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
They were ex-Baltimore MTA units that had operated on Liquid Nitrogen, given some major TLC at Montgomery County and converted to diesels.  Ride On at one time also had several WMATA 30 foot Metro B's painted into their colors and used on various routes such as the Bethesda 8 Circulator route and a Germantown route among others.
Not Liquid Nitrogen (otherwise they'd be frozen bricks), Liquefied Natural Gas. Yea, that failed experiment MTA did back in the early 90s to use alternative fuel.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: rideonrulez on September 19, 2009, 08:34:01 AM
Quote from: Perry on September 19, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
Ride On at one time also had several WMATA 30 foot Metro B's painted into their colors and used on various routes such as the Bethesda 8 Circulator route and a Germantown route among others.

It wasn't exactly Ride On's buses, we contracted WMATA to run 5 routes which was a complete failure. 
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Tristan on September 19, 2009, 10:43:54 AM
I coulda told you that before you did it (and I was, what, 8 at the time? What year was it?).  Oops, politics. :-D

I'll see if I can scrape up some audio of Flxibles for you to enjoy.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Perry on September 19, 2009, 11:12:18 AM
LOL, I didn't mean Nitrogen...it was late when I was writing that.  I figure anything we say in these posts are a waste of our time anyway! 

WMATA should never have gotten into the contracting business as evident by their failure to operate PRTC prior to First Transit winning the contract.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Annex4421 on September 19, 2009, 07:09:11 PM
Quote from: Perry on September 19, 2009, 11:12:18 AM
LOL, I didn't mean Nitrogen...it was late when I was writing that.  I figure anything we say in these posts are a waste of our time anyway! 

WMATA should never have gotten into the contracting business as evident by their failure to operate PRTC prior to First Transit winning the contract.
What do you mean by that?
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: aznboy4305 on September 19, 2009, 08:44:44 PM
Heres a few of mine from throughout the years...

(http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6719/pa170030.jpg)

(http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2659/p1010934o.jpg)

(http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3797/p1010995y.jpg)

(http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3004/p5150951.jpg)

(http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/579/p7170943.jpg)

(http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6728/p7240986.jpg)

(http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2992/p1010061ej.jpg)

(http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6515/p1220084.jpg)

(http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2103/p9180332.jpg)

(http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9605/p4073515.jpg)

(http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4074/pc043755.jpg)

(http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8985/p2053929.jpg)

(http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7452/pa230059y.jpg)

(http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8459/pa310072.jpg)

(http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4278/p1153860.jpg)
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: NewFlyer9736BCT on September 20, 2009, 12:21:52 PM
I started busfanning in 2005, so I don't have much of the older stuff, but here's what I got anyways:

The retired buses (Rest In Peace  :'( )

(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/WMATA/mb8819a.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/WMATA/mb8862a.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/WMATA/mb8912a.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/WMATA/mb8922a.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/WMATA/mb9207a.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/WMATA/mb9224a.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/Ride%20On/5700c.jpg)
(http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/gpbusgallery/Ride%20On/5703b.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/Palm%20Tran/960a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9201a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9206a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9208a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9210a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9214a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9216a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9301a.jpg)
(http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq43/FLbusgallery/BCT/9314a.jpg)
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Antozilla on September 20, 2009, 12:41:45 PM
What an optical illusion, bet you all thought you saw a fire truck. 
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Antozilla on September 20, 2009, 12:42:33 PM
 :D
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Antozilla on September 20, 2009, 12:43:23 PM
More
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Antozilla on September 20, 2009, 12:44:45 PM
and here we go

Metro told me that the reason there was no NL Flx saved was because the frames were all rusted out.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Perry on September 20, 2009, 01:05:21 PM
Cool pics, where did you find those old DC Transit ones?
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Annex4421 on September 20, 2009, 01:33:06 PM
And dont forget this one Credit to the one who took this pic (//)
Boy she sure looks good does she.
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Antozilla on September 20, 2009, 03:00:23 PM
Unknown which Is why I said credit to the photog. 
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Perry on September 20, 2009, 06:47:56 PM
I was assuming you found them on a website in order to have linked the photos, which is why I said, "cool pics, where did you find them?" 

But nevermind.   
Title: Re: The Flexibles
Post by: Tristan on September 21, 2009, 01:34:57 PM
I'd be interested to see where these photos came from and if they have more -- that's the type of material we're looking for for the website.

Also, unless you're uploading gigantic files, you can upload more than one photo per post.  Not sure if you tried it and hit an error or not, but feel free to attach 1-4 files per post...you might get an error if you try to upload too much at one time because of security restrictions (not my fault).
Title: Re: The Flxibles
Post by: DCT S9Z4Z6 on September 21, 2009, 01:49:32 PM
heres one for you FLXIBLE lovers
Title: Re: The Flxibles
Post by: Annex4421 on October 01, 2009, 12:12:37 PM
Has anyone seen 4046-4049? Please fill me in they were last seen at the Annex.