DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Topic started by: WMAveteran on August 19, 2009, 04:51:06 PM

Title: VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds
Post by: WMAveteran on August 19, 2009, 04:51:06 PM
THE WASHINGTON POST reported today that VRE will receive $9.8 million that will "go toward the purchase of 12 locomotives" and PRTC "will use the rest of the money to add two buses to its 126-bus fleet.  One bus will seat 30 and the other 43, and they will be available in about a year, ... "  Some money will also be used for bus shelters and other capital costs.
Title: Re: VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds
Post by: Perry on August 20, 2009, 12:19:49 AM
I read in PRTC's meeting minutes that these vehicles will be Gilligs.  That would mean the 40 footer would be bus 189 and the 30 footer would be bus 272 I believe.
Title: Re: VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds
Post by: Tritransit Area on August 20, 2009, 01:03:39 AM
Interesting.  PRTC will have 1 40 foot Gillig Low Floor in service.  I guess it will be build to suburban specs like the Phantoms and Orions
Title: Re: VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds
Post by: Perry on August 20, 2009, 01:20:21 AM
I guess if they're not making the Phantoms anymore that would be correct.  When I worked there they absolutely were not buying anything with more than one door.  I always argued it would be more sensible to buy the two door buses and put them on the Metro Directs, but since they show up on other commuter routes at times, they didn't want to lose anymore seats than they had to.
Title: Re: VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds
Post by: DCAreaTransitFan on June 10, 2010, 05:28:44 PM
i wonder what engine and transmision these low floors would have
Title: Re: VRE & PRTC receive $14 million from stimulus funds
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on June 10, 2010, 09:49:48 PM
Quote from: DCAreaTransitFan on June 10, 2010, 05:28:44 PM
i wonder what engine and transmision these low floors would have
Cummins ISL/Allison maybe.