DC Area Transit Zone

The Present => DC Transit Today => Newsroom => Topic started by: WMATAGMOAGH on July 24, 2009, 12:15:46 AM

Title: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: WMATAGMOAGH on July 24, 2009, 12:15:46 AM
Just in case anyone has been under a rock since the NABIs arrived: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/23/AR2009072303792.html?hpid=topnews
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: Tritransit Area on July 24, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
So who thought it was a good idea to announce that the NABIs were purchased for the X2?  I guess it was a "clean air" kick thing.

Do the Express "Zs" really need those artics?  Is it out of the question to send a few to Bladensburg to help out until they figure out something better?  I'd say send some of the Neo artics from Northern, but I know they are well needed for the 70/71
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: C40LF_2464 on July 24, 2009, 08:41:01 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on July 24, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
I'd say send some of the Neo artics from Northern, but I know they are well needed for the 70/71
Maybe when Northern gets there 62LFA'sand put them in service they can give them to bladensburg.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on July 24, 2009, 08:57:13 PM
Quote from: DE42LFA on July 24, 2009, 08:41:01 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on July 24, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
I'd say send some of the Neo artics from Northern, but I know they are well needed for the 70/71
Maybe when Northern gets there 62LFA'sand put them in service they can give them to bladensburg.
I doubt that would happen. Even though the X2 is a heavy hitter line, you still have the S line and 70 which needs tics even during late night. I remember taking a late night S2 run that still had an artic running around 130 in the morning. Also, the 62LFAs are primarily going to replace the NABI artics and not so much the Neo tics. The 20 tics that Bburg has now are well enough for the X line.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: WES on July 24, 2009, 10:39:39 PM
Well some short term solutions would be to temporarily increase the frequency from the current 6 minutes to 2-3 minutes during rush hour, 4-5 minutes during the midday and early evening and 6-8 minutes on Saturdays till artics usually doesn't run.  On Sundays no increase in service would be needed as 40 footers run on Sundays anyway.  Also short terminating some buses in Chinatown might help also, mostly everyone who rides the X2 gets off around N. Capitol Street.

They might want to save some Flxes before they retire them all before needing them probably again.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: WayneNYC on July 24, 2009, 10:41:43 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on July 24, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
So who thought it was a good idea to announce that the NABIs were purchased for the X2?  I guess it was a "clean air" kick thing.

Do the Express "Zs" really need those artics?  Is it out of the question to send a few to Bladensburg to help out until they figure out something better?  I'd say send some of the Neo artics from Northern, but I know they are well needed for the 70/71

While the Zs may not always need the artics, it's likely that buses doing those expresses are interlined.  I'm not for pulling artics out of Montgomery or Northern.  I've been saying for years that WMATA doesn't have nearly as many artics as they need.  It's my opinion that conservatively, WMATA needs about 100 artics.  Too bad the last couple artic orders have been replacements and no extras for expansion.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: WES on July 24, 2009, 10:46:07 PM
I did read something interesting on WMATA's website a few weeks back.  They intend to have an artic fleet of around 130, nearly doubling what they have now, but when they plan to have that number to 130 is another thing.  Would be nice if those 45 stimulus buses would be artics.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: WayneNYC on July 24, 2009, 10:46:41 PM
Quote from: WayneNYC on July 24, 2009, 10:41:43 PM
Quote from: Tritransit Area on July 24, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
So who thought it was a good idea to announce that the NABIs were purchased for the X2?  I guess it was a "clean air" kick thing.

Do the Express "Zs" really need those artics?  Is it out of the question to send a few to Bladensburg to help out until they figure out something better?  I'd say send some of the Neo artics from Northern, but I know they are well needed for the 70/71

While the Zs may not always need the artics, it's likely that buses doing those expresses are interlined.  I'm not for pulling artics out of Montgomery or Northern.  I've been saying for years that WMATA doesn't have nearly as many artics as they need.  It's my opinion that conservatively, WMATA needs about 100 artics.  Too bad the last couple artic orders have been replacements and no extras for expansion.
Quote from: WES on July 24, 2009, 10:39:39 PM
Well some short term solutions would be to temporarily increase the frequency from the current 6 minutes to 2-3 minutes during rush hour, 4-5 minutes during the midday and early evening and 6-8 minutes on Saturdays till artics usually doesn't run.  On Sundays no increase in service would be needed as 40 footers run on Sundays anyway.  Also short terminating some buses in Chinatown might help also, mostly everyone who rides the X2 gets off around N. Capitol Street.

They might want to save some Flxes before they retire them all before needing them probably again.

Agreed!  You can often see two or three relatively empty X2 buses west of North Capitol.  Looking in from the outside, it does seem like it would help the line to short turn some buses there (at least during the PM rush hour). 
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: DCT S9Z4Z6 on July 25, 2009, 01:52:22 AM
It would be nice if Montgomery ran artics on ALL Q2, Y8-9 & C2-4 trips. Heaven knows these routes need the capicity
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on July 25, 2009, 02:22:37 AM
Quote from: DCT Groupie S9Z4Z6 on July 25, 2009, 01:52:22 AM
It would be nice if Montgomery ran artics on ALL Q2, Y8-9 & C2-4 trips. Heaven knows these routes need the capicity
Not all of the Q, Y, and C2-4 trips really need tics. It's mainy rush hour and some parts of midday leading up to evening rush. The Z line gets quite alot of folks, mainly those heading up toward White Oak and Castle Blvd. I've ridden Z8s at late night and you have standing room only as soon as you leave Silver Spring.

As for the X2, I think having a turnback at 7th & H instead of N. Capitol would somewhat work since it would serve those folks at Gallery Place, but as for how they would turn back is another question. Plus, the X1 runs from N. Capitol on east to Minn Avenue during rush hour.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: Perry on July 25, 2009, 10:55:11 AM
The problem would be how the runs are blocked.  If it's an all-day block or interlined with another route, then whatever bus is deployed has to stay out there the whole time regardless of the demand.  Maybe they could find some other interlining to make sure that every trip that used the artic could use them rather than wasting it on trips where they'd be only partially full.  It's a challenge that's for sure, but I think they should plan for the heaviest loads and not worry about a noon trip not needing it as long as they have the capacity for the trips that are normally crush load.

A short turn at McPherson Square for the X2 could provide a very quick turnaround, but it's not too much further from Lafayette, unless they take away some recovery time too to get the trips moving faster in the corridor.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: OrionFlyer on July 25, 2009, 09:42:40 PM
It seems as though an "X9" may be in H Street's future.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: BladensburgB2 on August 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Do anyone know when the other 62ft are going to arrive there is nothing at CET at all but a few new express buses and like 2 or 3 locals.

As far as the X9 thats a short line to put anything like that over there on Benning Road/H street .........
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: Scrabbleship on August 06, 2009, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: BladensburgB2 on August 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Do anyone know when the other 62ft are going to arrive there

I wonder what the holdup with them is at this point. Then there's the 37 footers that still haven't showed up even though the buses they've replaced were preemptively retired.

Why do I think this whole LFA order has been a massive piece of clusterfudge for WMATA?
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 07, 2009, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 06, 2009, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: BladensburgB2 on August 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Do anyone know when the other 62ft are going to arrive there

I wonder what the holdup with them is at this point. Then there's the 37 footers that still haven't showed up even though the buses they've replaced were preemptively retired.

Why do I think this whole LFA order has been a massive piece of clusterfudge for WMATA?
Bus orders take a while to get produced, especially when you have a crapload of TAs that have ordered buses around the same time. Also, even when they come in, the operators, mechanics, etc have to be trained on them.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: WES on August 08, 2009, 01:16:50 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 07, 2009, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 06, 2009, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: BladensburgB2 on August 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Do anyone know when the other 62ft are going to arrive there


Why do I think this whole LFA order has been a massive piece of clusterfudge for WMATA?
Bus orders take a while to get produced, especially when you have a crapload of TAs that have ordered buses around the same time. Also, even when they come in, the operators, mechanics, etc have to be trained on them.

The DE42LFAs should be all in up and running by now.  Buses, if I am correct, are built in number order, not out of order, they do arrive out of order.  I think there is a bigger problem than a govenor issue or else all of the DE42LFAs should be in an running, not even half of them are even in.6302-6319, 6321-6349, 6351-6375 various buses from 6376-6455 and 6456-6461 have yet to arrive and not one DE37LFA nor anymore of the DE62LFAs have come in other than the one DE62LFA that came in a few months ago have came in.  A govenor shouldn't take over 5 months to fix.  The good thing is at least the Metro Bs are still running strong (although, the Ds are dropping like flies).  In a few weeks those Bs are going to hit 19 years of service for WMATA.  These were suppposed to be hitting bus heaven by now.  I think the Bs will easily hit 19 years of service and maybe a few months beyond.  Those NABIs might have to treck a few more months if those DE62LFAs don't come in pretty soon.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: LandoverDivision on August 10, 2009, 08:07:28 AM
6457 was in service last week. 6458-6461 aren't in service (they're sitting at Carmen). 6360 is also in service. and saw 6351 too. But dang with is with this LFA order?
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 10, 2009, 09:09:10 AM
Quote from: WES on August 08, 2009, 01:16:50 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 07, 2009, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 06, 2009, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: BladensburgB2 on August 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Do anyone know when the other 62ft are going to arrive there


Why do I think this whole LFA order has been a massive piece of clusterfudge for WMATA?
Bus orders take a while to get produced, especially when you have a crapload of TAs that have ordered buses around the same time. Also, even when they come in, the operators, mechanics, etc have to be trained on them.

The DE42LFAs should be all in up and running by now.  Buses, if I am correct, are built in number order, not out of order, they do arrive out of order.  I think there is a bigger problem than a govenor issue or else all of the DE42LFAs should be in an running, not even half of them are even in.6302-6319, 6321-6349, 6351-6375 various buses from 6376-6455 and 6456-6461 have yet to arrive and not one DE37LFA nor anymore of the DE62LFAs have come in other than the one DE62LFA that came in a few months ago have came in.  A govenor shouldn't take over 5 months to fix.  The good thing is at least the Metro Bs are still running strong (although, the Ds are dropping like flies).  In a few weeks those Bs are going to hit 19 years of service for WMATA.  These were suppposed to be hitting bus heaven by now.  I think the Bs will easily hit 19 years of service and maybe a few months beyond.  Those NABIs might have to treck a few more months if those DE62LFAs don't come in pretty soon.
I heard a few months back that the first ones off the line had to be redone because they were too heavy. I feel you on how it's been a while since they started coming in. The earlier ones 6302-6349 haven't been seen as of yet. Those might be the latter ones being built. I'm surprised it took no time for MTAs tics to arrive, but if push comes to shove, hopefully they'll come before years end.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: LandoverDivision on August 12, 2009, 07:59:42 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 10, 2009, 09:09:10 AM
Quote from: WES on August 08, 2009, 01:16:50 AM
Quote from: 79MetroExtraMD on August 07, 2009, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on August 06, 2009, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: BladensburgB2 on August 06, 2009, 10:47:23 PM
Do anyone know when the other 62ft are going to arrive there


Why do I think this whole LFA order has been a massive piece of clusterfudge for WMATA?
Bus orders take a while to get produced, especially when you have a crapload of TAs that have ordered buses around the same time. Also, even when they come in, the operators, mechanics, etc have to be trained on them.

The DE42LFAs should be all in up and running by now.  Buses, if I am correct, are built in number order, not out of order, they do arrive out of order.  I think there is a bigger problem than a govenor issue or else all of the DE42LFAs should be in an running, not even half of them are even in.6302-6319, 6321-6349, 6351-6375 various buses from 6376-6455 and 6456-6461 have yet to arrive and not one DE37LFA nor anymore of the DE62LFAs have come in other than the one DE62LFA that came in a few months ago have came in.  A govenor shouldn't take over 5 months to fix.  The good thing is at least the Metro Bs are still running strong (although, the Ds are dropping like flies).  In a few weeks those Bs are going to hit 19 years of service for WMATA.  These were suppposed to be hitting bus heaven by now.  I think the Bs will easily hit 19 years of service and maybe a few months beyond.  Those NABIs might have to treck a few more months if those DE62LFAs don't come in pretty soon.
I heard a few months back that the first ones off the line had to be redone because they were too heavy. I feel you on how it's been a while since they started coming in. The earlier ones 6302-6349 haven't been seen as of yet. Those might be the latter ones being built. I'm surprised it took no time for MTAs tics to arrive, but if push comes to shove, hopefully they'll come before years end.

I said in another post before that 6346 was seen at Landover w/o a wheel skirt. Then it left. 6344 was also seen.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: OrionFlyer on August 12, 2009, 10:18:36 AM
Is 6301 still a Landover? I'm surprised that bus isn't in service yet. Its been here since last year. Maybe it is in service and nobody hasn't seen it yet.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: BladensburgB2 on August 12, 2009, 02:11:31 PM
Right when you seen 6346 w/o the wheel skirt the reason is that the MD specs dont want them on the buses for some reason
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: Tristan on August 23, 2009, 01:08:46 PM
Quote from: OrionFlyer on August 12, 2009, 10:18:36 AM
Is 6301 still a Landover? I'm surprised that bus isn't in service yet. Its been here since last year. Maybe it is in service and nobody hasn't seen it yet.

Something similar happened with 2501 when those boats started arriving -- it sat at Landover for awhile, disappeared, 2502 and the others started arriving, and it was literally months before I saw 2501 for the first time in service.

I think part of the issue is that, with large orders, manufacturers tend to send a "sample" ahead of time so the agency knows what they're about to get socked with, and if the agency demands changes based on what they don't like in the sample, the manufacturer can make those changes to buses they haven't built or released yet...then when the first of those modified buses shows up, the agency will send the "sample" back to the manufacturer (or the manufacturer will come to the agency or pay for a third party to do so) to get the same retrofits or modifications...

Say for example WMATA didn't like the door performance on 2501; they call Orion, which notes the change and implements it for all the buses they haven't built yet, sends the newer coaches out, then WMATA sends 2501 back to Orion for them to modify that unit as well.

So if there was a problem with 6301, this could explain (possibly) why it isn't back in play yet...just from a manufacturing/fulfillment perspective.

The question is: what didn't they like about 6301, if anything?
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: 79MetroExtraMD on August 23, 2009, 03:09:31 PM
From what I've heard from a few folks, the originals ones that came were built with steel frames and were too heavy for the streets and had to be sent back for aluminium frames. That's the only rumor I heard so far. Then theres the governing issue rumor for the West Ox and Maryland buses having to do more than 55 mph on the Beltway and other roads, that was the other rumor I heard as well. Other than that, nothing much else.
Title: Re: Artics Not Operating on the X2
Post by: Tristan on August 24, 2009, 11:17:38 PM
Maybe they could remove the 10 tons of extra plastic and make it an LFR instead.  The LFAs are a waste of ... virtually everything.

I doubt the weight issue is the cause of the problems -- GWVR ratings are supplied in basic, public spec sheets, so that's a piece of information that the TA would have long before the first shell rolls down the line.  However, I could be in denial of the power of WMATA to screw up even elementary things as this.